VW VW Tourny Round 4: The Paint Monkey vs. 40kenthusiast - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

VW Tourny Round 4: The Paint Monkey vs. 40kenthusiast

VW Tourny Round 4: The Paint Monkey vs. 40kenthusiast

Table:

Top Deployment: The Paint Monkey
    First Turn: 40k

The Paint Monkey's list:

Goblin Warboss (General… of sorts)
    Light armour
    Shield
    Amulet of Protectyness
    Pipes of Dooooooom!!
    Best Basha

Big Boss
    Light armour
    Spear
    Giant Cave Squig
    Wun Hit Wunda
    Bauble

Big Boss
    Light armour
    Shield
    Army Standard
    Bad Moon on a Stick

Shaman
    Two dispel scrolls
    Spell - Gaze of Mork

Characters Total 489

Core

43 Night Goblins (General goes here)
    Spears
    Full command
    Nets
    3 Fanatics

30 Night Goblins (BSB goes here)
    Spears
    Full command
    Nets
    2 Fanatics

30 Night Goblins (Shaman goes here or with another hero)
    Spears
    Full command
    Nets
    1 Fanatics

20 Night Goblins
    Spears
    Full command
    1 Fanatics

20 Night Goblins
    (Short Bows) -
    Musician

20 Night Goblins 60
    (Short Bows) -
    Musician

3 snotling bases

2 snotling bases

Core Total 1080

Special

Squig Hoppers (1 150

Squig Hoppers (1 150

5 Squig Herders 150

Rock Lobba

Special Total 520

Rare

4 Snotling pump-wagons

Rare Total XXX

Characters Total 489
    Core Total 1080
    Special Total 520
    Rare Total 160

Army Total 2249

Pre game Comments:
    Tactics (the long way- scroll down for the short version)

Actually- not too bad... in fact a pretty good army to face. We out-number the enemy in units and unit-size so fear itself won't be driving us away from battle. I also like the multiple small elite units in the enemy army. I like the crunching noise they'll make when my damage-spammage units plow into them.

The enemy has 2 'quick' units- the chariots and the carrion. These will probably be trying to lure out fanatics so again they'll be targetted by the single fanatic units. I've got no problem throwing those units at them to pulp them with a fanatic and follow up with a ranked unit. The Giant cave squig will also work as a 'flying squad' (hopping squad?) if necessary- he's quite capable of destroying either unit, regardless of his own survival).
    This should leave most of the multiple fanatic units in one piece to race across the battlefield at the TKs.

The pump-wagons and squig-hoppers will be moving as much as a herd as possible and aiming at the enemy's flank units (I suspect ushabti). If I move the pump-wagons first then the skirmishing hoppers can move past and around them easily. With all 6 random-move units heading in one direction it's likely one will hit early, win combat long enough to survive (impact hits/multiple S5 attacks and immune to psych!) and have one or two others follow up in the next turn (more impact hits/S5 attacks!). This isn't even a problem if the enemy get a magical charge in- we might lose a wagon but there's so many that we'll end up getting a multiple-charge at some point. I'm completely prepared to use the little Waaagh! to up the chance of having this swarm hit first and early.

With the enemy flank tied up the remaining quick units will be heading for that skull-chucker (if it's still firing). Just by weight of numbers something will reach it and if the combats on the flank go well then more than one something. Anything that reaches it will be able to stop it firing and kill off the crew. I know they'll get back up but we'll just keep punching them in the head so they can't fire the catapult.

The shaman will be dispelling multi-shot catapult spells and any inconvienient movement spells in the first part of the game. He'll use his scrolls to stop unpleasant magical charges.

The squig-herders will be heading for the centre of the enemy line as fast as possible. If they can tear a chunk off an enemy ranked unit before exploding then that's great. If they just explode that's fine too.

Catapult will be targetting the skull-chucker- killing it or at least forcing it to return fire and leave my spearmen alone.

All this leaves is two enemy ranked units that will have to face the remaining fanatics and maybe twice as many of my own ranked units. Even if there's been summoning we'll still out-number (especially after the fanatics have plowed in) and probably be able to get on the flanks. CR will win it for us in the end.

Sorry about the essay!

Tactics the short version-

Damage-spammage units up the flank- over-whelm any enemy that get in the way. Shut down the skull-chucker and or small elite units that try and intercept. Rock lobba will help.

Intercept and eliminate the quick enemy units with my own smaller combat units and hero on squig.

Get the ranked units into combat asap- stop them getting targetted by magic and skull-chucker and unleash the fanatics on the enemy. CR will win it- outnumbering, flanks (eventually) and ranks (post-fanatic impacts).
    VS.

40k's list:

Lord:
    Tomb King w/Destroyer of Eternity, Collar of Shapesh

Heroes:

Tomb Prince w/chariot, Chariot of Fire, flail, light armor + shield, Brooch of the Great Desert
    Liche Priest w/Dispel scroll, Casket of Souls
    Liche Priest w/Hieratic Jar, dispel scroll, skeletal steed (Hierophant)

Core:

20 Skeleton Warriors w/bows, hand weapons
    3 Chariots
    1 Tomb Swarm

Special:
    20 Tomb Guard w/Icon of Rakoph, musician, standard bearer, champion
    5 Carrion
    4 Ushabti
    3 Ushabti

Rare:
    Catapult of Skulls (skulls of the Foe)

Pre game comments:
    Fear Causers vs. Gobbos:

I've got carrion to release the fanatics, after that this is just my Ushabti/TombGuard/Chariots running over the greenskins.

The casket and catapult will also be incredibly effective vs. this list, and I've got magic superiority.

Last edited by gingerninja; October 10th, 2008 at 22:23.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Another really tough call. I'm going with Gobbos for a minor victory. Magic is strongly in TK's favor as is psychology. Still the goblin units are large enough to resist fear and if TPM can pull off his plan to get his ItP units into Ushabti and chaiots, then he can win. But magic and fear could really wallop the gobbos. It's a really close game and could go either way, but TPM's plan sounds workable.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Yeah, it is a tough call. If I had to vote on this it'd take a lot of thought. My advantages are that I have more units than I can remember and his fast units will only be able to draw fanatics out of two of my units, max. I can see my weird ItP units swarming over or past his Ushabti and into the catapult and altar and then spend the rest of the game playing silly-buggers killing the unkillable. Each side's big combat units will meet in the middle, where it will come down to hom much damage the squigs and fanatics have done and how well the nets work. The SSC will probably chase off one of my spear units but apart from that I reckon my numbers will keep me safe from Fear. My big adantage is that I don't need to charge; if I'm close enough to charge then the fanatics have been released and the TKs have no reason not to charge me. If I out-number him then it won't matter if I fail the fear test- nets and spears will balance things out.

Basically if my gobbo weirdness goes well the it'll be a slaughter (unlikely) and if it goes shockingly then it'll be the other slaughter (equally unlikely, I think, given the shear voloume of goblin weirdness). IRL I think this would be a great game to play with lots of exciting important rolls and desperate combats. It'll be interesting to see how people interpret it.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

"THERE IT IS!! SHOOT IT!! SHOOT IT GOD DAMN YOU!!!"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SO, MANY, GOBOS D=

gobbos mina vichory!

Funnist warhammer moment ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr2jlCyCJBI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Ironically enough, I think TPM will win any war of attrition. As there are no real units out there that can realistically crush him in one fell swoop, I call Gobbos for a Minor Victory, not to mention reasons aforementioned.

Plus the One-hit Wonder vs anything big= nastiness incarnate for the TKs (especially those Chariots).

-AFG//

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Goblins for minor victory
    For reasons already mentioned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

The Paint Monkey's Goblins win this match 4 votes to 0.

Average winning score: 1

Match Closed

Closed Thread