Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I have chosen to place this Arena now. If I am unallowed to do this (Arena reform topic makes me unsure), then please say.
Anyway, I have my arena rules ready. so the wait is over, I give you the first of it's kind...
*I am after 16 groups for a PvP AoD tournament. This will be first-in first-served. Note that I will not be reserving spots.
*Every group must be fully legal and the total group should be costing no more than 250pts. This is absolute. I will not be accepting any groups that are 251pts.
*Characters are to have a background and description including their bodyguard. If not, they will be fair game for me. Include a fighting style if you want, but this point is all optional.
*Please read through all these rules. I know they're dry and boring, but I've modified a lot to suit my arena.
Registration couldn't be easier . Simply post here with your group and individual character’s name, background and fluff and- of course- what each character actually has and what each item does. Also include their special rules. You must number each model in the group (see later for more info on this).
- Tress of Isolde
- Sword of Fate
- Van Horstmann's Speculum
- The Daemon Sword
- The Fellblade
- The Bane Head
- The Grudge Rune
- Kurbog's Curmudgeonly Klobbera
- Virtue of Confidence
- Annoyance of Netlings
- Palanquin mount
- Pendant of Kaeleth
- Any and all items/weapons/armour that nullifies or breaks magic weapons or armour. Also, any item which I have missed here that includes in its rules "nominate one enemy character" is illegal.
Gaze of the Gods - same points cost, before the battle roll a D6 - 1 = you get a 6+ ward, 2-3 = you get a 5+ ward, 4-6 = you get a 4+ ward. Such is the fickle nature of chaos.
Warpstone amulet - same points cost, but roll to see if you die BEFORE the fight instead of afterwards.
Talisman of Loec - may not be taken in conjunction with anything that confers Killing Blow to the bearer.
Pendant of Khaeleth - Grants a ward save proportional to the armour save modifier of the opponent’s Strength score (i.e. 6+ ward against S4 hits, 5+ against S5, 4+ against S6, 3+ against S7…). A 1 always fails.
The Morning Star of Fricasse - Cannot be taken with the Gromril Great Helm. OK, it can, but don’t expect your character to get a nice write-up. The same applies to any Dwarfs who aspire to take the MRoBreaking. No obscene armour saves to go with it.
Equalisers for the AoD
* Skaven Warlords may go up to 20pts over their magic item limit providing that they do not exceed 250pts in total. The Appendix Plague Lord is no longer permitted: he is replaced by the Plague Lord from the Lustria book.
* Empire Generals (not Grand Masters) and Arch Lectors who do not take a Runefang may go up to 20pts over the magic item limit providing that they do not exceed 250pts in total including their bodyguards.
* Dark Elf Assassins are counted as Hero choices for all intents and purposes.
* Chaos characters can take the marks of Tzeentch and Slaanesh for free.
* Bretonnians must pray to gain the Blessing, allowing their opponent to charge them and gain all the benefits thereof in the first round of each combat. A Bretonnian player who does not wish to pray should specify this before the match is rolled.
* Goblin, Night Goblin, and Skink characters may also receive a 20pt bonus to their magic item limit. Just to be nice to the little guys.
* Hero-level characters get an extra 50pts added to their magic item allowance.
* Buying a Mark for the Hero/Lord gives the same mark to his Bodyguard (a Khorne lord won’t be accompanied by a unit with the Mark of Slaanesh).
* All chariots or mounts larger then a horse are banned (No character may be mounted on any of these)
* Unit size does not count for selecting the bodyguard (i.e. Night goblins are unit size 1 not 20+) so no units that come as a group already (i.e. squig herds).
* Magic banners are not allowed for basic standard bearers allowed to take them, otherwise banners are as normal.
* Units must be from the same army book as the Hero/Lord (No Dwarfs leading Empire soldiers).
* No Swarms are allowed (I have my reasons so don’t argue)
* 0-2 special/rare
* 2+ core base
* Maximum of 5 total models in the group
* Must include only 1 Hero/Lord
* You may have as many Musicians, Standard Bearers and Champions as your points allow.
* The effects of Musicians and Standard Bearers are not cumulative.
* Normal Rules for Armies apply except for the rules needing multiple characters (e.g. No more then 1 unit of Big ‘Uns, but Tomb Kings may have Liche priests or Tomb Princes.).
How I will establish the winner of every fight
- Numbering system
This is the first time anyone has done this so it is considered like a unit of champions all issuing a challenge. If one player has more models then the other then they will direct their attacks against the opposing Hero/Lord.
- 1v1 battle
if you have never fought in one of these, the point is to pit two characters against one another, one on one. In all essence it is a challenge as in a normal game but with a few differences. Namely, they’re trapped in an arena with the only way out is to kill or be killed.
I will roll a match up between two characters until one perishes. The one who remains standing will be the victor and progress to the next round; all wounds etc will be completely healed. It is as though the fight never took! When the Hero/Lord dies the whole group loses and the bodyguard disappear into the crowd to watch the arena.
- Combat Res.
CR will be worked out as though the group is a unit. Banners give +1 to the CR and musicians will win draws. Any items that affect the unit the Hero/Lord has will affect every model in the group as it counts as a unit. This includes stubborn and immune to psychology.
- First round of combat
in the first round of combat, both warriors count as charging for the purposes of lances and other special rules. If neither warrior has a 'strike first' ability (or a 'strike last' ability), the person with the highest Initiative will strike first. If both warriors are equally entitled to strike first (usually because they have equal initiative), striking order will be determined randomly. In essence, we will follow the rules as outlined by GW for ASF, great weapons, and the like.
- Later rounds
in later rounds of combat, neither warrior gets charging bonuses (pretty obvious). Strike order will be determined using the same system as in the first round of combat - however, in cases of equal initiative, the die to determine strike order is not rolled. Instead, the person who struck first last time will strike first, combat alternating between each warrior.
- Break tests
Break tests are not ignored in this Arena (this is done in a field, not a ring). Undead suffer from crumbling but the Hero/Lord may not crumble (You can choose which of the bodyguard who crumbles). The same applied to instability for Daemons.
Stubborn only affects break tests if all models in the bodyguard and Hero/Lord have stubborn. If at least one model doesn’t have stubborn then they all count as none of them do.
Units that are normally unbreakable are not unless the whole unit is unbreakable (This is because the tragedy and fear of the area is enough to make even the bravest turn and run).
Fear is handled similarly to normal. In the first round of combat, a warrior facing a fearsome foe will take a Ld test. If he fails, he will hit on 6+ for that round of combat. After that, fear has no effect.
Hatred is also handled as normal. The warrior will re-roll failed 'to hit' rolls against hated foes in the first round, unless a specific army book overrules this.
Since stupidity is ignored in combat, it only effects the first turn when the model suffering stupidity is attempting to charge. He or she will take a stupidity test as normal; if failed, the model strikes last, no matter what. I.e., no ASF for failed test.
Frenzy is as normal, you can still have the frenzy knocked out of you; therefore, models do lose frenzy as normal. Note that outnumber does not count for CRes here.
- Killing Blow
KB will be worked out slightly differently. For the hero/lord character the D2+N rule will be used. This means the KBed character will suffer D2+n (n = Starting Wounds-2). This gives a 50% chance of killing outright. Armour and Regeneration is still ignored.
If forced to flee you may be run down. If you manage to get away then you will automatically rally afterwards. The enemy will then count as charging and a new combat will start. You will lose all benefits of charging.
50-50 calls- I claim power in any dispute, and will be as fair and unbiased as I can. This is why I will not be taking part in this AoD.
Fluff- Due to my own time constraints, it is up to everyone to do their own escape fluffing. PM me if you want something certain to happen for your death.
Magic- There will be no magic, no arguing, this is final.
Arena background fluff will be posted when I have more time.
1. The Cenobites (RobtheGuru)
2. Carras’ Happy Little Elves (Attila the Hun Jr)
3. Al'Terith, accursed of eternity (avatar of khaine)
4. Saamedhi's Slaughterers (mpdscott)
5. Kresh, the Blood Braided (Lord_Colten)
This will be updated whenever I can.
1) I`m a bit tired of AoD`s and probably wont join any more for a while...
2) After the test you did i wouldnt join this one...
currently (from what i can tell) we have avatars arena ending, the tribute to lost fates and the third off seasonal arena running. the current state of the calling of champions is in a little state of flux mind you.
from what i could tell about the arena reforms thread the agreed number of arenas running at any one time was 4; 1 seasonal, 1 off seasonal and 2 member arenas.
looking at this we can see that we have the off seasonal and 1 member arena running at the moment (with avatars arena ended). as such i would say that yes, this arena is fine for now. it'll be up to the members however to fill in the numbers.
i'll be posting a reservation thread tommorow to help iron out who does and doesn't get to start arenas at any time and who's next.
however, i don't think i'll be up for taking part in this event. i dislike the idea behind this arena and find the lack of playtesting and glaring balance flaws to be too dangerous for my tastes.
Last edited by Arklite; December 22nd, 2008 at 22:22.
spambot kill tally: 79
[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
[16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
[16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
[16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
[00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^
I've sent my entrants in
My Arena Champions: Kharn'eth The Bloodcleaver and Gorzag Iron Jaw
Have sent my entrant via pm to tuxedo clank
Worshipper of Dice
Last game: Victory Dark Elves vs High Elves & Orcs & Goblins
WDL: Dark Elves:37/6/8 Space Marines:7/3/3