VW AFGVW R2 M5 - Thralls of Darkness vs The Host of the White Duke - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

AFGVW R2 M5 - Thralls of Darkness vs The Host of the White Duke

The Map: Orc Village

Top Deployment: Thralls of Darkness
    First Turn: Thralls of Darkness
    Thralls of Darkness

--Vampire Lord (lvl 3) (goes with GG)
    Flayed Hauberk, Crown of the Damned, Book of Arkhan
    Forbidden Lore, Master of the Dark Arts, Summon Ghouls
    Lore of Light

--Vampire (goes with Blood Knights)
    Barded Nightmare, Blood Drinker, Dread Knight

--Vampire (goes with large Ghouls)
    Nightmare, Hand of Dust, Avatar of Death (Shield),
    Summon Ghouls
    Invocation of Nehek, Vanhel's Danse Macabre

--Vampire (goes with small Ghouls)
    Nightmare, Helm of Commandment
    Dark Acolyte, Avatar of Death (Shield)
    Invocation of Nehek, Winds of Undeath

--x22 Grave Guard w/ FC
    Great Weapons

--x23 Zombies w/ Musician and Standard
    --x22 Zombies w/ Musician and Standard

--x14 Ghouls w/ Ghast
    --x10 Ghouls w/ Ghast

--x5 Dire Wolves
    --x5 Dire Wolves

--x5 Black Knights w/ Standard of Hellish Vigor

--x4 Blood Knights w/ Royal Standard of Strigos

The Host of the White Duke

The White Duke - Vampire Lord (Lvl 3)
    Mounted on Nightmare. Wears Walach's Bloody Hauberk and carries a Power Stone and the Book of Arkhan. Vampiric Powers: Master of the Black Arts, Forbidden Lore, Lord of the Dead.
    Invocation of Nehek, Vanhel's Danse Macabre, Gaze of Nagash, Curse of Years

- Chamberlain Califas - Vampire (BSB )
    Mounted on Nightmare. Carries the Drakhenhof Banner. Vampiric Powers: Avatar of Death (2 hand weapons), Dark Acolyte.
    Invocation of Nehek, Lore of Fire

- Baron Malodorus - Vampire
    Wears the Flayed Hauberk and carries a Dispel Scroll. Vampiric Powers: Dark Acolyte, Lord of the Dead.
    Invocation of Nehek, Raise Dead, Winds of Undeath

- Lady Passmourn - Vampire
    Mounted on Nightmare. Wears the Helm of Commandment and carries the Black Periapt. Vampiric Powers: Lord (Lady) of the Dead, Avatar of Death (HW and Shield).
    Invocation of Nehek, Vanhel's Danse Macabre, Winds of Undeath

- The Black Sentinels - 19 Skeletal Warriors (includes FC)
    War Banner

- The Dark Watch - 10 Skeletal Warriors (includes FC)

- The Fallen - 10 Crypt Ghouls

- The Spectral Guard - 22 Grave Guard (includes FC)
    Great Weapons
    Banner of the Barrows

- The Ghost Riders - 5 Black Knights
    Standard Bearer with Banner of Hellfire

- The Eternal Lances - 5 Black Knights

- The Brides of the White Duke - 4 Fell Bats
    (converted Daemonettes with wings)

Exactly 2250 pts
    12 Casting Dice + 1 Bound Spell and 1 Power Stone
    7 Dispel Dice +1 Scroll

Gotta love Vampire on Vampire violence! At least we know that no one is going to run away!!

Deployment: Basically protect my flanks with terrain to keep his slightly more numerous cavalry from getting flank charges.

The White Duke is taking the Lore of Fire and will split his dice between blasting units (Ghouls and Cavalry) with fire spells and raising skeletons until combat is joined and will then break out the Flaming Sword of Rhuin and continue to raise when combat is joined. Summoning priority (for everyone) is to keep the GG at maximum or close to maximum strength and get the Skeletons to full ranks and keep them there.
    Califas (BS likes Raise Dead and Vanhel's. If he's not using VDM or resurrecting, he will use Raise Dead when tactically prudent to redirect charges and take away rank bonuses vs weak troops (particularly those Zombies).
    Malodorus likes Vanhel's and Wind of Undeath. Spirit Hosts created with Wind of Undeath will be directed to either tarpit or remove ranks from units that don't have magic weapons (most of them).
    Passmourn will take Vanhel's if she can, or Gaze of Nagash. If she doesn't get either of those, Raise Dead will work fine. Helm of Commandment will mostly be used on the GG (for 2+ to hit!), but can be switched to another unit that needs to either hold or inflict damage. Since there is no missile fire, she may leave her unit to hide out in the back to ensure usage of the Helm; it's more important than anything she else she does.

If my opponent takes Fire or Light Lore on his Lord, priority for dispel dice goes to preventing spells that would negate my Regen banner.

I'll use every cheap stunt in the book to keep his Blood Knights from being effective.. ie, spending time in combat. March blocking, blasting with spells, summoning small numbers zombies to redirect them, summoning large numbers of zombies to tarpit.. whatever is feasible at the time. My Army can outfight his pretty handily if these guys are kept out of the fray. My GG are better (banners), my Skeletons have banners and armor (and I can summon just as many of them as he can summon zombies), so they're more than a match for the zombies and Ghouls, as well.

Last edited by ArchonFarseerGuy; May 20th, 2009 at 07:01.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Host of the White Duke

Waiting on tactics...?

I'll assume they didn't get in on time =)

Combat VC vs Casting VC...

I think there's going to be too much magic happening from the White Duke...units are able to be raised almost at whim. This should be enough to control the battle and when deep into CC, re-raising enough fallen models to gain superiority.
    Last edited by Lemonchild; May 19th, 2009 at 12:29.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x5)

Agreed. Host of the White Duke will edge out a victory. I thik both armies are fairly strong for close combat, but the White Duke and his lackeys add a character punch that is much needed. I could see the Thralls being sneaky and getting in a Hand of Dust unexpectantly, but that's hard to say if it will happen or not. If the Host of the White Duke player plays it right, he'll find a bait unit for the Blood Knights.
    I am heading off to the Peace Corps. It is bery likely I will not be back. Good luck to all of you endeavors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

Having access to Raise Dead, and having superior magic will provide him with the food for the Blood Knights that he needs. Magic dominance in the mirror will seal the deal for The Host of the White Duke.
    It's Adventure Time!
    2010 'Ardboyz Champion

Slaaneshi Battle Barge CO
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x5)

I counted up the dice and the White Duke and Co really don't have that much more magic than the Thralls. 12PD +1 bound, + powerstone/7DD + scroll vs 11PD +2 bound/7DD. They've both got a fair bit of mojo working.

Also, Malodorus and Califas should have another spell, each. They've both got Dark Acolyte, but only have one spell besides IoN, which is free... and lastly, the White Duke should have all the Lore of Fire spells, as stated in his tactics in bold. In the list, he just has 3 Lore of Vampires spells.
    Last edited by Psyan; May 20th, 2009 at 02:13.
    "Is Archon Braigh-Dee going to have to choke a Wych?

Courtesy of Wicky: D.C.S.S.E.P.C.I.C.B.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Host of the White Duke. Stouter ranked units backed with the Dickenhoff Banner.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

I actually think that the Thralls of Darkness will take this. They have some zombies, which are easier to raise, and will keep the other ranked units of the enemy in place, while there small effective ghoul units hit the flank.

With lore of light in play, that should seal it.

ninja out
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

The Host of the White Duke win 4-1.

Thanks to all who voted, information about the next round will be up soon.

Closed Thread