VW VW Round 4, Match 4 - DavidWC09 vs. Esco Thomson - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

VW Round 4, Match 4 - DavidWC09 vs. Esco Thomson

MAP: http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1244969818

Esco Thomson (Army 1):

Grey Seer - 540 (General) SPELLS: (Plauge) 1, 2, 4, 6
    . . . . Screaming Bell
    . . . . 2 x Dispel Scroll
    . . . . Power Stone
    . . . . Skalm

Plague Priest - 339 SPELLS: 1, 4
    . . . . Plague Furnace
    . . . . Shadow Magnet Trinket
    . . . . Portents of Verminous Doom

Warlock Engineer - 150 SPELLS: Warp Lighting, 3
    . . . . Doomrocket
    . . . . Warp-Energy Condenser

30 x Clanrats - 202
    . . Musician, Standard Bearer, Shields
    . . . . Doom-Flayer Weapon Team

5 x Giant Rats - 23
    . . . . 1 x Packmaster

5 x Giant Rats - 23
    . . . . 1 x Packmaster

5 x Giant Rats - 23
    . . . . 1 x Packmaster

5 x Giant Rats - 23
    . . . . 1 x Packmaster

16 x Giant Rats - 89
    . . . . 1 Master Moulder
    . . . . 1 x Packmaster

16 x Giant Rats - 89
    . . . . 1 Master Moulder
    . . . . 1 x Packmaster

21 x Clanrat Slaves - 44
    . . Musician

21 x Clanrat Slaves - 44
    . . Musician

21 x Clanrat Slaves - 44
    . . Musician

28 x Plague Monks - 271
    . . Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer
    . . . . 1 Storm Banner

7 x Plague Censer Bearers - 112

7 x Plague Censer Bearers - 112

6 x Gutter Runners - 72

Doomwheel - 150

Doomwheel - 150

Deployment
    Pretty much aim to deploy centrally, depending on where his wood goes. Assuming he will try to split up the torrent of rats, and place it centrally, though choking the left flank could be advantageous as well...
    I will be aiming to scout the Gutter Runners into the building. Plague Censer Bearers will go behind the Plague Furnace, to keep screened from fire. I will use two Giant Rat packs behind them, to screen from any sneak attacks from the rear. One Doomwheel towards each flank, but not too close to the terrain. Slaves screening the advance. Larger Giant Rat packs angled out to guard/screen my flanks.

Strategy
    10 Power Dice with the Power Stone and Warpstone tokens against 5 Dispel Dice and 2 Dispel Scrolls. Warp Lighting is rough here, as is most of the Plague Lore, especially with most of it not requiring LOS. Doomrocket not needing LOS will take shot at one of the Waywatcher groups, or both if they cluster up for easy kills.
    Getting first turn helps out, as I can surge up to get in range, and pop Stormbanner on his turn. Banner has the ability to single handedly win this one as well.
    Doomwheels really hit this list hard, as he can't hide in terrain, and if he chooses to scout near me, I can run back at him.
    He does have impressive shooting, and is quite mobile, but really lacks anything to punch through either of my blocks. I have over three times as many bodies on the field, so I am not short on meat to soak up missile fire. Screening the PCB's in the backfield until a bit of the shooting threat is gone, and then letting them and the Doomflayer run at the enemy to run through them.

With shooting being the obvious focus here, followed close by mobility, I think that his list will suffer greatly as I am able to vastly mitigate the shooting, and he just does not have the ability to hide from a lot of my threats here.

DavidWC09 (Army 2):

Highborn, Enchanted Shield, Glamourweave, Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins, Great Eagle, lt armor, spear
    Noble, Waywatcher, Rageth's Wildfire Blades, Hail of Doom Arrow
    Spellsinger, scroll x 2 SPELLS: Tree Singing
    Branchwraith, lvl 1, cluster of radiants SPELLS: Tree Singing

Glade Guard x10, mus
    Glade Guard x10, mus
    Glade Guard x10, mus
    Dryads x 8
    Dryads x 8
    Dryads x 8
    Glade Riders x 6, mus
    Wardancers x 8, mus
    Wild Riders x 5, mus
    Warhawk Riders x 3
    Waywatchers x 10, champion
    Waywatchers x 10, champion
    Great Eagle

First, my free tree stand will be placed on the front of the hill so that the hill, existing tree stand, and my tree stand in essence form one large terrain piece. This will provide some units cover. The thirty glade guard will deploy in the flat, only at 6" in, not bothering with the hill since it's now part of this mega-terrain. They will focus on the targets of priority: censer bearers then the plague furnace as it being a large target will offset the storm banner's effect. Experience tells me focused fire on a plague furnace, which can be picked out of the unit because of it's unit size, will get me enough rolls of 6's to wound to take it out. One unit of waywatchers will deploy in the tree stand already on the battle field (not my free one). They will target units as above but will especially look for characters riding large targets to try and slip a killing blow through. The other unit of waywatchers will deploy in or behind the manor as the situation allows.

The manor piece is large enough that two units of dryads and the 1 unit of dancers will work their way through it as a doom wheel takes some serious damage if it hits a building. Wild Riders, Glade Riders, and the remaining unit of dryads will work from behind the hill and into the now contiguous piece of wood terrain. They will look for targets of opportunity. Flyers will hang back, to the left side of the hill, until the banner is exhausted so that they don't get caught out in the open.

In short, only the archers will be in the open. Everything else is in or behind terrain so that I can avoid losses to my combat units, divert his units to both flanks and force him to decide what to send after the archers. That gives him three fronts to deal with, left flank, right flank, and archers to the front. Hopefully I will deny him enough kills, while picking off targets as they present themselves.

VOTING ENDS IN 48 HOURS!

5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Wood elves do not like facing more blocks then they can encircle. They also don't like Doomwheels.

I don't think the WE shooting can kill enough to stop the skaven charging on turn 4 and picking up lots of points.

Skaven.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Judging from the tactics, I think this would be a rather uneventful match. Remember that old episode of Pokemon that has Carapace VS Carapace? No? Damn kids and their Yu-Gi-whatever...

Anyway, both tactics seem to assume that their opponents are going to come at them. It sounds like they're going to squat, with the Skaven casting and the Wood Elves shooting. This will drag it into a war of attrition, and if that's the case, I have to give it to the Skaven.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    Judging from the tactics, I think this would be a rather uneventful match. Remember that old episode of Pokemon that has Carapace VS Carapace? No? Damn kids and their Yu-Gi-whatever...
    Check my Custom Title before you throw those blasphemous YUGI things my way!

Esco used HARDEN!
    It's Adventure Time!
    2010 'Ardboyz Champion

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

My apologies, pokemaster. ^_^
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Hmmm...a tide of rats against an elite army... roll tide!
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Wave of rats shall drown the wood elves. Even pointy ears run out of ammo eventually
    Green iz da' BEST!
    Orkz is made fer' two fings! Fightin', and winnin'!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to go for skaven
    WE don't really have enough shooting, and I think the skaven would overwhelm the combat units that the WE does have.
    GG

VW progress ==> runner up (out in round 5) Fluff wars ==> round 1 win, round 2 win
    Winter Wood elves W7 D0 L0 Witch hunter ogres W2 D1 L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post

Anyway, both tactics seem to assume that their opponents are going to come at them. It sounds like they're going to squat, with the Skaven casting and the Wood Elves shooting. This will drag it into a war of attrition, and if that's the case, I have to give it to the Skaven.
    i miss old pokemon...

anyways, for these reasons i have to agree and say skaven, as much i want to say wood elves cause i like WE much more.
    2010 WoC Cav W/L/D - 7/3/1

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

69 (x3)

Hmm, pokeman, hmm. there was a rattata, but no equivalent celtic leprechaun.
    getting back to reality*, I think the Skaven would take this. So much shooting, but so many more rats. Also the two unbreakable blocks will be very difficult for the WE to deal with.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast