VW VW Round 4, Match 5 - Nagash vs. Marnepup - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

VW Round 4, Match 5 - Nagash vs. Marnepup

MAP: http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1244969315

Marnepup (Army 2):

Lord:

Tomb King Chlodwig 310

-Armor of The Ages, Spear of Antarhak, Golden Eye of Rah-Nutt, Chariot

Heroes:

Prince Childebert 149

-Light Armor, Shield, Sword of Might, Collar of Shashep

Lich Priest Burkard (heirophant) 165

-Cloak of the Dunes, Neffera’s Plaques of Mighty Incantations

Lich Priest Meginhard 330

-Casket of Souls, 2 dispel scrolls

Core:

10x Skellies 80

10x Skellies 80

20x Skellies, banna wava, banner of the undying legion 195

3x chariots 120

3x chariots 120

4 bases tomb swarm 180

Special:

25 tomb guard, full command, icon of rakaph 370

Tomb scorpion 85

Tomb scorpion 85

5x carrion 120

Rare:

Screaming skull catapult, skulls of the foe 110

Nagash and I have very similar armies. The main differences are that my king is mounted, his has the DoE. He has two units of light horsemen in lieu of my third unit of bowmen, producing the same number of shots. He has an extra chariot per unit, I have a larger tomb swarm. The differences are slight. He has an edge in mobility, I have an edge in ICFB. His King is weighted towards offense, mine towards mobility and survivability (with an extra wound and a spear that heals him). On magic, we’re virtually identical, with the difference being a scroll in my inventory. On shooting, he has six extra bows, two on chariots and four dismounted.

Given that he has a mobility advantage while going first, as well as a slower, but more offensively powerful, king, I dare not advance towards him. I’ll be bunkering…again. But this time, not around my casket, but around my king. In order to gain an advantage in the magic phase, I’ll ~gasp~ let his casket through, while keeping my forces within 12” of my king. This will allow them to benefit from his LD10, losing an average of -1 and a maximum of 4 (on a roll of 12!) per turn. I’ll also deploy so that only a few units have LOS, with the TG and chariots tucked behind the bowmen. This should ensure that I rarely lose more than a model or two per turn (unfortunately, I tested this at adepticon, foolishly allowing my heiro to be killed. The units in range of my king took no losses, the ones outside his bubble crumbled out.)
    This game will be won in the magic phase. I intend to swing things in my favor by focusing my offense on extra shots, first for the catapult, then for the bowmen. My defense will seek first to keep his tomb guard from getting extra movement, then to keep his catapult from firing. If I have extra DD, I’ll try to keep his carrion from getting extra movement.
    Since I expect him to put scorpions under my casket and under my catapult, I’ll reorganize my tomb swarm to surround my casket in order to make it hard to reach with his scorpions. 4 bases of swarm will eat a scorpion’s lunch PDQ. The catapult will be fine, since I can reraise the crew if a scorpion eats them.
    My shooting will focus first on reducing his light horse and his carrion below US5, then switch to cutting down his TG before they can reach combat, if they’re advancing, or continue to shoot the small units until they’re dead. My carrion will be prepared to pounce on a unit of light horse if they come in range, but are primarily tasked with stripping the rank bonus from the TG if/when they reach my lines.
    My scorpions will first aim to kill the casket priest, more for the VP and to reduce his options in the magic phase than because I fear it. After that, they’ll look to tackle the catapult crew in spite of the fact that they can be reraised as long as the machine still stands, then look for targets of opportunity.
    Once the casket is dead, my bowmen will unmask the TG, who will move into position to intercept his TG. The carrion will strip his rank bonus, and I’ll look to pile into his flanks with other units if possible, starting with chariots. Since I’ll have made stopping his TG’s magical marching my first priority, it’ll have taken him till turn five to cross the board, making it unlikely that this combat will be decided before the game ends, unless I’ve been able to strip enough models along the way to overwhelm him with numbers.

To sum up, I’ll gain magical superiority by nerfing his casket without dispelling it, strip US5 from his horse and carrion with shooting, prevent his TG from gaining extra movement, kill his casket priest with scorpions, and intercept his own scorpions with my non-ICFB tomb swarm.

Deployment:

In the front rank from left to right, 1x20 bowmen, just within 12” of the king, then the tomb swarm, then 1x10 bowmen, then 1x10 bowmen, just within range of the king. Behind the 1x20 bowmen, the carrion and nonking chariots. Behind the swarm, the casket and catapult. Behind the inside 1x10 bowmen, the king’s chariots. Behind the outside 1x10 bowmen, the TG with prince. Both scorpions go in front of his casket for redundancy.

Nagash (Army 1):

Lord
    Tomb King Teistis Bleid – General
    Destroyer of Eternities
    Collar of Shapesh
    Light Armour
    Shield (unequipped, only for fluff)

Heroes
    Tomb Prince Unbre Kabel
    Armour of the Ages
    Vambraces of the Sun
    Great Weapon

Liche Priest Traigh T'keelmi (2)– Hierophant
    Cloak of the Dunes
    Hieratic Jar

Liche Priest Aigh It'suols (2)
    Enkhil's Kanopi
    Dispel Scroll
    Casket of Souls

Core
    Chariots x4

Chariots x4

Skeleton Bowmen x24
    Standard Bearer
    Banner of the Undying Legion

Skeleton Bowmen x10

Skeleton Light Horsemen x5

Skeleton Light Horsemen x5

Tomb Swarms x2

Special
    Tomb Guards x24
    Full Command
    Icon of Rakaph

Carrions x5

Tomb Scorpion

Tomb Scorpion

Rare
    Screaming Skull Catapult
    Skulls of the Foe

Casket of Souls

Well, knew this would come... Same battlefield as the last round. No need to think about Psychology as a weapon, even though it's the most powerful one in TK.

Notes:

I have more shooting! I can sit back, since I would theoretically win in ranged battle.

We have the same amount of Magic Offense. The difference is that his magic is slightly more powerful in general (Plaques), but I can have greater magical offenses in one turn (Hieratic Jar).

I have more units! Thank Gods for that... I will be able to outmaneuvre him when he comes close. I will describe later on.

He has higher Army US! Not good, but I think I'll be able to handle it thanks to the other advantages I have.

Deployment:

Note that I am standing on MY side of the table, so the hill is to the right and the forest to the left. Thank you!

I'll place the Casket at the very left edge of the table, around three inches away from the my side's border. If Marnepup fields any of his Scorpions with It Came From Below here, there will be a very great risk that they're scattered out of the battlefield. Casket secured.

Screaming Skull Catapult is placed in the same way, but at the other side of the table, overlooking the battlefield but still safe from ICFB.

If Marnepup has thought of the same idea as I have (with the borders to get rid of the ICFB problem), I'll notice it because the Scorpions are placed last. If he have placed his Casket closer to the middle, both of my Scorpions are going to get a kick-off on that one. In addition, my Tomb Swarms will do the same but to the Catapult if it isn't placed close to a border. If it is, I'll have them placed beneath ground in the middle of the table to put some pressure on the seemingly slow army (It has a dramatic speed, I know).

My Tomb Guards (joined by the Tomb King) are placed at the very centre, rendering them the ability to charge whichever side I find I feel threatened in. Fact is, nothing in his army alone, note ALONE, can take out my TG unit joined by the King. One of the reasons why I'm glad to know I have more units.

The ten Skellie Bowmen are placed beside the Casket. Note that they aren't placed close to the deployment front line, but a few inches away (all this to prevent a first turn charge from his Chariots - 20” with magic, fast cav). They are there as some sort of protection from incoming Carrions or incoming flying Hierophants.

The big unit of Bowmen joined by the Prince are placed in front of the SSC. They will march forward to take advantage of the hill.

Beside the Bowmen, leaving a gap between them for the SSC to shoot through, is a unit of Chariots placed. They're there to flank anything that tries to get to the 24 block of Bowmen + prince. If the enemy TK charges here, I'll propose a challenge with my Prince. He's built for challenges, and should have a 50% chance of success against his King.

The Carrions are placed behind the big unit of Bowmen. They will first try to kill off the Casket, avoiding combat, then try to kill off the Catapult Crew. Why I pick the that order is because of the ability to resurrect the crew if the Catapult is still alive. The Carrions' only purpose after taking out the Casket (If it isn't already done by Scorps) is to tie the SSC so that it's unable to fire (If Tomb Swarms haven't made it).

The second Chariot unit will be placed right to the small Bowmen regiment, guarding the flank of the Casket.

The Light Horsemen are placed more to the centre, one at each side of the TGs. From here, they will have a good opportunity to walk forward to redirect incoming Chariot charges. If the enemy Chariots are charging here, they will kill off the 8 points worth unit, but become charged by a full-kitted TG unit in their flanks or rears. If there are two charges, the Tomb King's unit is in focus.

Hierophant is placed beside the Catapult. If anything comes close, the Hierophant will escape as a cloud of whirling sand towards the sky (or not, towards the Tgs to assisst them).

Dispelling focuses:
    Charges
    Casket of Souls
    Healing Characters, constructs or Guards
    Shooting
    Healing units
    Bowmen and Chariots shooting focuses:
    Hierophant if within range
    Carrions
    Chariots
    Tomb Swarms or other Bowmen
    Whatever feels necessary
    Catapult shooting focuses:
    Tomb Guards
    Chariots
    Casket (if not yet exterminated)
    Bowmen etc.
    Magic focuses:
    Shooting twice/ Tomb Guards hitting twice
    Casket
    Charging
    Healing
    Hierophant appears in Magic Missile range, hehe...
    All in all, my list is more balanced. Even though Marnepup's list is very good against most armies, it isn't made for going up against an army of the same race. Wish you luck, mate!

5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

this is a really tough one, these armies are both well thought through.

what flipped me over was the solid deployment of Nagash's casket, while Marnepup wanted to focus on taking that out first. Marnepups casket and catapult are in for a hard time
    This and the slightly higher maneuverability of Nagash's force.

vote:
    Win goes to Nagash - King Teistis Bleid
    Last edited by Digger; April 6th, 2010 at 00:37.
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Wow, I've never seen a votewar between two more similar armies. It's difficult to judge, so I have to go by tactics, and through that I have to give marnepup the edge. I felt his tactics were slightly superior, and a lot of Nagash's strategies seem a little bit uncertain.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

I am going to go with the destroyer on this one. They are fairly similar here, but I think that four swarms is a biut much as well as I do not care for Plaques outside of a HLP.

Nagash
    It's Adventure Time!
    2010 'Ardboyz Champion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Edging it to Nagash for nothing more then having the first turn.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Marnepup is better suited to win the inevitable war of attrition between two undead armies.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Wow oh wow this is tough. My experience with TK is limited so the really only honest way i can vote on this is roll a d6. Evens= Marnepup, Odds =nagash

Rolled a 1 (figures...must be my animosity die) Nagash wins
    Green iz da' BEST!
    Orkz is made fer' two fings! Fightin', and winnin'!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Hahahaha ! I looove this match! They're both casteling in, thinking they can outshoot on another and harrash effectively with their swarms and scorpions.

Im totally voting for TK for this one! ... troll aside.

Nagash for having the initiative of first round (though Marne did an extremely good job fending off against the Casket).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

125 (x4)

Voting ended.
    5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

125 (x4)

Nagash defeats Marnepup with 5 points to 2.
    5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

Closed Thread