VW VW Round 6, Match 2 - Esco Thomson vs. andre - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

VW Round 6, Match 2 - Esco Thomson vs. andre

MAP: http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1244969315

Andre (Army 2):

485 - Slann mage priest (Chanco Sardo) SPELLS: Lore of Metal
    Hand weapon, 2 power stones, Cupped hands of the Old Ones, Focus of mystery, focussed rumination, becalming cogitation, Battle Standard Bearer

430 - Skink Priest Cost = 430 SPELLS: 6, 3
    Hand weapon, Ancient Stegadon with Engine of the Gods, Magic Level 2, Plaque of tepok, 1 Dispell Scroll

440 - Skink Priest Cost = 430
    Hand weapon, Ancient Stegadon with Engine of the Gods, Magic Level 2, Rod of the Storm, 1 Dispell Scroll

124 - Scar Veteran Cost SPELLS: 1, 4
    Great Weapon, Light Armour, Shield, Charm of the Jaguar Warrior

XXX - 10 Skink Skirmishers
    Hand weapon and blowpipes

222 - 17 Saurus with Spears
    Hand weapon and spear, Shield, Musician, Standard Bearer

277 - 16 Saurus Temple Guard
    Hand weapon, halberds, Shield, light armour, Musician, Standard Bearer

90 - 3 Terradons
    Hand weapon and javelins

150 - 2 Salamanders
    teeth, Flames

Well down to the last few lists an this is quite a match up. Im clearly very much outnumbered, but I still think I can take this. here is how....

I'll deploy on my far right, using the woods to anchor my right flank. The saurus will go closest to the woods, with the temple guard and slann next to them. to their left will go both the stegadons and finally the salamanders. The terradons will go behind the forest. One unit of skinks will go on my extreme left, the other three will hide behind my battle line to begin with. Why? Because a lot in this game will depend on when my opponent chooses to use the storm banner. On average it shoud last 2 turns, in that time i've only a 50/50 chance of my skinks and salamanders shooting and no chance of my terradons or scar veteran flying. So its a big deal, an the skinks need their poison to deter charges from the lighter skaven troops If they cant have it, they'll need to be hiding. If theres an opening to bait the plague block due to their frenzy with skinks or terradons it'd definitely be taken.
    The plan is to use the stegadons terror, impact, burning alignment and all of the magic to take out all the giant rats (terror) and censer bearers (magic). With those pesky bugger defeated the stegs will look to flank the two blocks who are fronted up to my two blocks and then have them all slug it out. Its not pretty but I think my superior combat troops would win this one out in the end.
    I have magic dominance. there will be no 13th spells going off due to becalming cogitation. I can overun the skaven defense will dice as well. The slann will take lore of fire. It'd take lore of metal if the new skaven book listed any of the plague furnace, bell and doomwheels as war machines but it doesn't. So i'll go with fire. I'll use burning head to assist with the flank panicking, the magic missiles to start by picking off the censer bearers and then moving on to other targets, and wall of fire on either of the unbreakable blocks. If they want to move they'll get burned. Rod of the storm will take out the 1 wound doom flayer. The scar veteran will try and out manouvre the doom wheels after the strom banner ceases, otherwise he'll stay with the saurus and try and cut the bell/furnace to bits. The salamanders if firing will have a happy field day against the packed set of targets.
    Anywho, i guess its a fairly blunt plan, but its the one i think that'll bring home the goods.
    Good luck Esco and cheers for voting.

Esco Thomson (Army 1):

Grey Seer - 540 (General) SPELLS: (Ruin) 3, 5, 6 + Thirteenth Spell
    . . . . Screaming Bell
    . . . . 2 x Dispel Scroll
    . . . . Power Stone
    . . . . Skalm

Plague Priest - 339 SPELLS: 3, 5
    . . . . Plague Furnace
    . . . . Shadow Magnet Trinket
    . . . . Portents of Verminous Doom

Warlock Engineer - 150 SPELLS: 2, 3
    . . . . Doomrocket
    . . . . Warp-Energy Condenser

30 x Clanrats - 202
    . . Musician, Standard Bearer, Shields
    . . . . Doom-Flayer Weapon Team

5 x Giant Rats - 23
    . . . . 1 x Packmaster

5 x Giant Rats - 23
    . . . . 1 x Packmaster

5 x Giant Rats - 23
    . . . . 1 x Packmaster

5 x Giant Rats - 23
    . . . . 1 x Packmaster

16 x Giant Rats - 89
    . . . . 1 Master Moulder
    . . . . 1 x Packmaster

16 x Giant Rats - 89
    . . . . 1 Master Moulder
    . . . . 1 x Packmaster

21 x Clanrat Slaves - 44
    . . Musician

21 x Clanrat Slaves - 44
    . . Musician

21 x Clanrat Slaves - 44
    . . Musician

28 x Plague Monks - 271
    . . Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer
    . . . . 1 Storm Banner

7 x Plague Censer Bearers - 112

7 x Plague Censer Bearers - 112

6 x Gutter Runners - 72

Doomwheel - 150

Doomwheel - 150

There are definitely not enough Pegasus to fix this battle.

Let's do the breakdown:
    Deployments:
    Andre has 9 while I have 16 + scouts/sneaky infiltrators.
    This will allow me to dictate the board fairly well considering the "meat" of his army is less than mobile. Which is important considering the skirmish screen here.

Shooting:
    Andre has 40 Blowpipes, 11 Javelins, and 2 Flame Templates, and 3d3 rocks once. I have the Doomwheel Lightning, the backwards flame template, the 6/12 sling shots, and a one use Doomrocket.

Andre certainly has the edge in small arms fire, though the Stormbanner will help out here, as does the Shadow Magnet Trinket on my Furnace, though the main issue here being that I have the bodies to absorb his shooting. My shooting is smaller, but poses a larger threat to him, than his does to me. Doomrocket will aim for Skinks if they cluster, otherwise going for the spear Saurus.

Magic:
    Still waiting on those Pegasi...
    Well this is a battle of two magic heavy hitters! Andre has an impressive 12 PD, 2 Power Stones, Bound Spell PL 5, and a one use Bound Spell PL 6. Not to mention the free dice he receives on the toad. I have 10 PD, 1 Power Stone, 1d3 Warpstone Tokens, and the possibility for that 11th PD. My Bell has the ability for a Bound Spell PL 5, but that shouldn't be heavily relied upon as it is entirely random.

On the Defensive side, Andre has 8 DD, 2 Dispel Scrolls, and discards 6's on one caster. This is a bit rough for anyone to face!
    I have 6 DD, 2 Dispel Scrolls, and my two large blocks have MR(2), so decent dispel power. Offensively it depends on his Lore Choice, though I suspect Death or Shadow, perhaps Beasts. All things considered, numbers, and dispel power, I am not worried really from his offensive powers. I can stop the important stuff, and he can not target my large units safely. Defensively he will have me fairly locked down until the Priests bite it.

Combat:
    Both sides have a few solid hitting units, mainly the Stegadons on his side, and Furnace/Plague Censer Bearer's on mine. His Saurus hero is no slouch in combat either. Only his Skinks are truly maneuverable here though, so most of his units are going to be charged/surrounded and drowned in numbers. The Doomwheels will be utilized as sweeping the flanks as well here. It is also of note that the Saurus blocks(Spears and Temple Guard alike) will be solid grinders.

Other Considerations:
    Numbers will play a large part here to help absorb magic casualties, as well as blowpipes. With well past a 2 to 1 ratio in my favor. The Terradons will likely play a small role here as there is only a single unit and they will be grounded at least one turn.

The Big Picture:
    I have to seize the initiative here, and race the fight to him. I plan to basically run the units forward at him, with my Doomwheels running the flanks, headed right for the Engines, seeing as their destruction is pivotal to victory here. I will spread my slave units out front to take the brunt of the destruction, followed by the large giant rat packs and then my two towers, and Plague Censer Bearer's. The Gutter Runners will be scouting out in the forest to hopefully pop shots off at the enemy Skinks/Terradons.

Magic will be rough until those Engines go down, but with numbers and respectable defense, I should be able to whether the 2 - 3 turns. It is also not likely that there will be all that much damage being put out from Lore choices.

Once the horde gets there, I should have no problems encircling him and simply over running him with the better parts of my troops.
    There are simply not enough of his troops to stop from being closed in on and ran over. Magic will hurt, but with close examination of the Lores available, there simply is not enough to truly destroy the fast moving horde. There is also no terrain to block a full rush at the opponent either.

VOTING ENDS IN 48 HOURS!

Last edited by Rising Leviathan; April 28th, 2010 at 23:22.
    5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

Are Esco an I having a best of three?

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

ESCO I know the LM list has a big old slann but there's just so much hittiness in that skaven list, and plenty of things to over-whelm or taser the skirmishers.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Hmmm...not much of a plan to deal with the doomwheels that are targeting the engines...and not needing to worry about casualties is not to be underestimated. I vote for ESCO.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Hmm...yeah, it would've been nice to know what exactly Andre has planned for the doomwheels. However, if he can destroy them, it'd be interesting to know how Esco plans to deal with the engines. Of course, he doesn't necessarily deal with them right away, as long as he can tie them up. That'll negate most of the benefit gained from them.

Andre has a large magic advantage here, but the Skaven will seriously put the hurt on anything that isn't an engine very quickly. Being outnumbered nearly 2 to 1, the Skaven will get flank charges fairly easily. Of course, with cold blooded Andre will probably be able to hang on for quite a while.

It's a tough battle to call, but I have to tentatively call this one in favor of Skaven, as he simply has more redundancy.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I like the LM. It'll be a grand battle, but I think LM can edge it over the game.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

Unfortunatly I've never faced Skaven personally, so I've really no idea about how hardhitting those Skaven-engines are, or how big an effect all those units of rat-skum are. I wish you both luck, but voting at this time of the war wouldnt be fair, based on my inexperience.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    Hmm...yeah, it would've been nice to know what exactly Andre has planned for the doomwheels. However, if he can destroy them, it'd be interesting to know how Esco plans to deal with the engines.
    Actually, here's how:

The scar veteran will try and out manouvre the doom wheels after the strom banner ceases, otherwise he'll stay with the saurus and try and cut the bell/furnace to bits.
    One scar vet to kill both wheels, the bell, and the furnace. If that's his plan, you were right to vote skaven...
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

69 (x3)

485 - Slann mage priest (Chanco Sardo) SPELLS: Lore of Metal
    Hand weapon, 2 power stones, Cupped hands of the Old Ones, Focus of mystery, focussed rumination, becalming cogitation, Battle Standard Bearer
    The slann will take lore of fire. It'd take lore of metal if the new skaven book listed any of the plague furnace, bell and doomwheels as war machines but it doesn't. So i'll go with fire.
    Absolutely hating to have to post in my own battle, please forgive me. But my slann is listed as taking lore of metal, which is wrong, he's taking lore of fire. Understandable mistake though, as i was having a moan about not being able to use metal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

This battle is very tricky to vote on. The Lizards have typical impacability against the Skavens overwhelming numbers. The thing for me that tips this is all the psychology tests those rat packs will be taking, i think it'll put them out of most of the game. This really stop this skaven numbers advantage an leads me to vote Lizardmen to grind out the win.
    ( :cake: )( :cake: )( :cake: )( :cake: )( :cake: )( :cake: )( :cake: )( :cake: )( :cake: )( :cake: )( :cake: )( :cake: )

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast