AoD Arena of Death and 8th Edition: Changes, Challenges, and Tweaking - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x5)

Arena of Death and 8th Edition: Changes, Challenges, and Tweaking

Now that Splendour and Skulls in about to get underway (whcih I personally am excited for), the next arena will most likely be going with 8th edition. As such, I think it's a good idea to start a thread about what sort of changes and such people think might be necessary for the Arena of Death. Perhaps nothing needs to be changed, maybe a few items make it possible for certain units to be competitive without a handicap. Are there certain new broken combos?

Also, as I've yet to read the book, what sort of rules are there out there that change the combat system itself? (I know that if you have ASF and a higher intitiative, you get to re-roll to hit, but other than that, I don't know of nay changes.)

So yeah, anyone please feel free to offer suggestions, ideas, and examples about anything that should be done to make sure the next arena can work with the new edition.

I am heading off to the Peace Corps. It is bery likely I will not be back. Good luck to all of you endeavors.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x3)

The common item list has increased ten fold and some of them are extremely broken in terms of the arena. For example there is an item that allows you to regain D6 lost wounds. Imagine that on an Ogre Tyrant. It is the only immediate item that comes to mind, but it will need to be a case of everyone of the regulars and newcomers taking it upon themselves to scour the book for anything we could use/manipulate.

Something else that we could use is the buildings section. There is something about special buildings/locations etc that provide bonus' to units near them. Maybe we could develop a table for the GM to roll against each duel. I can't really think of any at the minute, but some are pretty useless for arenas, but others will provide bonus' to certain races. Might be interesting to incorporate.

My Arena Champions: Kharn'eth The Bloodcleaver and Gorzag Iron Jaw

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x5)

Perhaps things will still fairly simple?

The item that returns D6 wound does seem a bit iffy, though on a tyrant there really wouldn't be anything left to spend point on save maybe a great weapon. I see the healing potion being worse on an ogre bruiser or gorebull, where those extra wounds can be put on top of good armor and a ward save.

One big difference I see if fear coutning every round of combat. Personally I see this as a good thing. It weakens those pesky goblin characters a bit with low leadership, and helps out a couple of choices like VC who have not done well overall.

Heroic killing blow... anyone know anything about this? Do we need to wait for more rulebooks for this to come about or are there heroes that have it already (besides a bret lord with the virtue of heroism)?

Any love need to go to the dwarfs for not having access to the comon magic item list, or should we wait for their next book and deal with a lack of stunties (at least in arenas 250 points and under)? I'm not concerned about daemons not having access to it. Heralds of Khorne are the statistically most successful unit in LO arenas.
    I am heading off to the Peace Corps. It is bery likely I will not be back. Good luck to all of you endeavors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x3)

Heroic killing blow is just being able to use killing blow against everything. Currently only Bret's have it at the moment I think, but i'm guessing we'll start seeing it appear more and more over the next few army books.

As for Dwarves, I think they are fine as is. If others disagree then I think at the most they should be granted access to the items, but if they take an item, then they can not rune it.

Either way, for the most part as you said it seems alright, it's just waiting to see if there are any majorly broken builds out there lol.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

254 (x5)

Right, let's continue the Rob-Dael back and forth discussion. (NO ONE ELSE ALLOWED)

Other things that need considering either for the standardized arena rules, or for each arena master to decide, or both.

1) Magic: Bound spells are generally allowed, however in 8th edition, bound spells use power dice as well. We could continue with the 7th edition of style, but I'm personally of the mind to not live in the past, and move onto 8th. This would lead me to conlcude that magic may not be workable in normal arenas any more.

2) Equalizers, namely those for 'weaker' characters: With all the new magic items available, many of the downtrodden races have access to powerful items. Then again, so do the characters with better stats. I personally am inclined to leave them as is (except for goblins, they are competitive enough without an equalizer).

3) Immunity to damage: This has been a question before, though it has never occurred to what I know of. There are a few cases where opponents simply cannot hurt the enemy such as flaming attacks agianst dragon armor, or a great weapon against an ethereal vampire. My personaly idea would be to give a 2+ ward or something of the nature instead of an automatic win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x3)

1. Magic could be workable if someone really really REALLY wanted to use it in there arena. Maybe have it so that the opponant gets the same number of dice to dispel that their opponant has used.

2. I am inclined to agree with this. It's just a case of us needing to get a few arenas done and seeing if any majorly broken builds are put forth, or if one race struggles more than another.

3. Yeah I agree. Atleast 2+ gives them a slight chance of winning lol.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

I'm inclined to agree, the current rules set we have is going to need a thourough workover to bring it in line with 8th. the core mechanics aren't too much of a problem admittedly (we worked in intitive order anyways most of the time) but with so many more magic items available it might be worth sifting through and picking out potentially game breaking gubbins here and there.

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

+ Reply to Thread