VW 8th ed votewar: Round 1, match 3: Dragkhar vs Esco thompson - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

8th ed votewar: Round 1, match 3: Dragkhar vs Esco thompson

Battle for the pass played on this map:
    http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/6...orthepass1.jpg

Draghkar deploying at the top. Dice off for first turn was 5-2 for esco thompson, so Esco Thompson goes first.

Lists and tactics:

Draghkar:
    LORDS: - 405 Points

Vampire Lord: - Redfury, Infinite Hatred, Beguile, Tomb Blade, the Flayed Hauberk, Talisman of Preservation, Ironcurse Icon
    405 points

HEROS: - 480 points

Vampire Count: - Forbidden lore (Vampires), Gambler’s Armour, Hellsteed
    175 points

Vampire Count: - Battle Standard Bearer, War Banner, Avatar of death (Hand Weapon + Shield), Walking Death.
    195 Points

Necromancer: - Invocation of Nehek
    55 points

Necromancer: - Invocation of Nehek
    55 points

CORE: - 610 points

Skeleton Warriors: - 30 strong, Skeleton Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Hell fire.
    270 points

Crypt ghouls: - 30 strong
    240 Points

Corpse Cart: - Balefire
    100 points

Special: - 305 points

Grave guard: - 20 Strong, Seneschal, Musician, Standard Bearer, Royal Standard of Strigos
    305 points

RARE: - 200 points

Black Coach
    200 points

2000 Points

The vampire lord is to join the unit of skeletons from core with 1 necromancer. The other necromancer is to join the ghouls. The vampire on flying mount will be used to bounce around and spawn tarpits of zombies where needed to cover flanks and or negate enemy rank bonus’s using vanhels Danse macabre. Finally the last vampire with the BSB will be added to the grave guard to give them +3 SCR per turn and boost their LD value.

Due to dupliacte spell rules i would like to swap the Lords Vanhel's Danse macarbe for curse of years.

The lord will join the unit of skeletons along with one of the necros.
    The Bsb will join the GG as they will need the static combat res he provides.
    The last vampire will lead the crypt ghouls and be used to buff my units with lore of beast when he makes it to combat pushing hard to transform into a chimera.

Spell preferances are Summon Undead Horde as road blocks in front of my units or to side/rear of the enemy if range permits. Vanhels danse macarbe is to be used to get the GG moving into combat.

Deployment the Skeletons should go behind the lowest building on the Left as if i was him i would haev one of the hydra's heading that way, and my banner will aid me in removing at least one of the beasts.

the GG CC and Crypt ghouls would be deployed rougthly in the center field witrh the Black coach taking up the other flank.

Tactics for battle

Move the skeletons towards one of the hydras while using the vamp to raise hordes towards the middle of board and when need to steal rank bonus in combat. the rest of my army would march continueusly forwards wihile spaming IoN to resist casualites. hopefully the coach will absorb enough power dice to hamper his solo caster. Prioity targets are the sorceres and hag queen. Challenges should always be offered by my 2 main vampires the Bsb should look out for hi sorry hide as i dont want to lose my +3 SCR. main aim for zombies to bog down as many units as possible with prio on Warriors to reduce casting towards me always ranked 5 wide max then as deep as possible to maximise SCR and remove stead fast from his units as i should the gods willing have more ranks than him.

other than that my fate is in the hands of the dice gods.

Wihout knowing what spells my opponent has i can not really say what my prio for dispelling is but mostly anything that hits me on I value followed by Buffs to his units.

Esco thompson:

2000 Points

High Sorceress (General, Level 4, Sacrificial Dagger, Pendant of Khaeleth, Black Dragon Egg) - 350
    [Lore of Shadow]

Hag Queen (BSB, Cauldron of Blood) - 225

40 x Warriors (Full Command, Banner of the Eternal Flame) - 265

2 x 20 Repeater Crossbowmen (shields) - 440

2 x 5 Shades (additional hand weapon) - 170

2 x Cold One Chariot - 200

2 x War Hydra – 350

Spells
    I will be taking Melkoth's Mystifying Miasma, The Enfeebling Foe, The Penumbral Pendulum, and Pit of Shades

Deployment
    One unit of Shades in the Grail Chapel, other will deploy in his backfield if possible to move towards Blessed Bulwark. Both Hydras starting rear of forest. Spear block with Sorceress to the left and back from forest deployed 5 x 8. Crossbow blocks angled and to the left of the Spears to keep a good fire arc, deployed 10 x 2. Chariots will flank the Spear block to allow for counter charge. With BSB behind the Crossbows to keep all units in range.

Plan
    Basic plan is simple, focus fire on his units and hold the line and counter charge when he reaches. Crossbow fire will focus on the Skeleton block first, in range of the Crossbows and after saves he should be losing 10 per phase. Lobbing Pit a boosted pit at the center of his line and coupled with Miasma to lower stats. Taking time to shoot Pendulum or it at the Coach if necessary. Shades will harass and send shots at the Hellsteed Vamp. Cauldron will send out buffs where needed, warding units until combat is imminent. With Grave Guard not having GW my troops should be able to hold well enough for counter charges. The lord is scary in combat, but I should be able to thin out his blocks/eliminate enough to not worry. Enfeebling will also mitigate damage of one block in combat as well. Dual Hydras and Chariot charges should decimate his weaker troops with ease. Will pop the Egg when the Sorceress feels combat is coming to add in some extra damage and protection as well.

Good luck guys.
    Voters please leave your vote by replying here with your reasons for voting and please vote in bold.
    thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Dragkhar's tactics are solid, but I can't help but feel that the points spent on the black carriage would've been better spent on more ghouls. As it stands, I think his summoning spells will make up for shooting losses, but I don't think it's going to create the swarm that he needs to really overwhelm his opponent.

To use a chess analogy, he doesn't have enough pawns. This might not have been a problem if his spells were built to kill, but they're only meant to summon/regrow units. In short, it's a horde army without a horde.

If he were facing a slower paced close combat army this might not matter, but the Dark Elves are going to be killing guys almost immediately.

I have to give this one to the Dark Elves.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

The defensive position that the dark elves take works out perfectly with the terrain,. The long road that the undead have to travel combined with the small frontage (because of the buildings /forest on the sides of the allready thin pass) i think it makes it impossible to break through the elves' front.

most of the shooting will be undone by the summoning of more models, so it will come down yto the close combat fights. The elves focuss dispelling on the right spells, because the elite undead units could prove to be their bane. The flying vampire will be put to good use and he will easily make it to summon more models in the enemy's rear. Will it be enough to help break through? i think the defense will prove too solid to break..

Would the terrain have been more open, then i think the chances would have been better for the Vampires.

vote:
    Dark elves win
    Last edited by Digger; October 15th, 2010 at 11:35.
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

With more ranked units and grave guard, along with the ability to summon, vampires can win this. They can absorb chariot and hydra charges, unless all four went into the same unit, and retaliate/raise more troops.

Black Coach is too often underestimated. It can cause some real damage. The deployment zone for this scenario lets the vamps close to combat early, which is in their favor.

I do like Dark Elves combo of cauldron and lore of shadow, but I think the edge is to Vampires.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

I have to back the DE here. Undead could win this but in an average game I think the undead have too uphill a battle on their hands.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im voting dark elves
    the vampire counts just have too much of an uphill battle to get through all those crossbows. magic will be pretty much shut down as it is a lv4 vs one and 2s. while some spell will slip through i belive it will not be enough to make up for the losses in the shooting phase. then after that he has to contnd with 40 spear elfs, 2 chariots and 2 hydras. the helsteed might make a difference but will probaly just be quickly cut down by the shades
    for the emperor,for the great maw,blood for the blood god,
    armies:guard,ogres,40k daemons,skaven
    for the horned rat!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

I think this battle will be close, with the DE shooting being negated easily by raising, I think Esco ignoring the coach will be a problem, as I use one a lot and know how quickly they become unkillable, I think if it gets fly quickly, it will be able to charge and kill a hydra and possibly the cauldron too.

Esco also underestimates the grave guard, who will be able to hold and destroy the chariots and possibly the hydra.
    The skellys with the flaming banner chasing the hydra are a nice idea, and should work.

However, I know how much trouble they will have doing all this in the face of shadow magic and cauldron-buffed DEs, the large steadfast spear block, with the sorceress with black dragon egg and buffs, this unit will be hard to defeat by the remnants of a quite small VCs army, but I think concentating on raising will just swing this for Dragkhar, although there wont be much left of anyone by the end.
    If the DEs had a combat character to lead the spearelves and challenge the lord, I would have given it to them.

Got to say though, I would like to watch this game, it would be a lot more exiting than my game this round!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoticVampire View Post

Got to say though, I would like to watch this game, it would be a lot more exiting than my game this round!
    You see, that's what we get for outsmarting each other

For this game, it's going to be quite close, but in the end, I suppose the DE are going to get overpowered eventually. The Hydras are going to deal some serious damage, but in the end of the day, they'll get overrun - the chariot's are going to sink in a zombie tarpit, and the spearelves are likely to get butchered, so in a very bloody, and probably exciting game, the Vampire Counts will probably prevail.
    The Silver Knights of Tor Adrac (He): 26/2/4
    The Spears of Slaanesh (Woc): 7/2/5
    Battlegroup Chalybso (GK): 7/3/3

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

Hmm, I wish i'd been able to vote in this, but im not going to break my own rules.
    Sorry for the slightly late finish, have been dealing with a medical emergency away from home. PMs for the next matchs will be out tomorrow night.
    Dark elves take the win, 4-3...

Closed Thread