VW 8th ed votewar: round 2, match 7: The bearded one vs Mynameisgrax - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

8th ed votewar: round 2, match 7: The bearded one vs Mynameisgrax

Hi,
    This is a meeting engagement on this map:
    http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/6...ngagement1.jpg

the bearded one deploys first on the left.
    1st turn roll was a 2, so The Bearded one goes first.

Lists and tactics:

The bearded one:

King Ironhands Iron host
    King Ferrun ironhand is the king of Karak Grim, situated to the west of Karaz a Karak at the foothills below the black lack. He has frequently taken to the field with his throng in recent years to avenge longstanding grudges. Greenskins and Skaven have felt his army's wrath and the king takes on te most formidable opponents to be found in the enemy army, not merely to best them in personal combat, but also to relieve his army of the weight of having to deal with unnatural foes. Carried to battle by loyal shieldbearers and encased in his ancestors' heirloom armor, encrusted with runes of protection, the king stands at the very centre of the battleline. Artillery and missile troops fire their ammunition into the enemy, forcing them to close with the dwarven shieldwall only to have the real slaughter begin, spearheaded by the king himself and his loyal hammerers.

Lords:

King Ferrun Ironhand
    Dwarf lord
    •Great weapon
    •Shieldbearers
    •Master rune of spite
    •Rune of Stone
    •Rune of resistance
    251 pts

Heroes:

Godri Thunderhammer
    Thane
    •Battle standard
    •Master rune of gromril
    •Rune of cleaving
    •Rune of might
    160 pts

Skalf Swiftaxe
    Thane
    •Rune of fury
    •Rune of striking
    •Rune of cleaving
    •Rune of Stone
    •Shield
    127 pts

Thorrin Dragonforge
    Runesmith
    •Rune of spellbreaking
    •Master rune of balance
    •Shield
    147 pts

Core:

20 Dwarf warriors
    •Shields
    •Full command
    205 pts

20 Longbeards
    •Shields
    •Full command
    265 pts

10 thunderers
    •Shields
    150 pts

Special:
    Bolt thrower
    •Engineer
    •Brace of pistols
    65 pts

Cannon
    •Rune of forging
    •Rune of burning
    130 pts

23 Hammerers
    •Shields
    •Full command
    •Master rune of grungni
    379 pts

Rare:
    Organ gun
    120 pts

1999 pts

Lord: 251 pts
    Heroes: 434 pts
    Core: 620 pts
    Special: 574 pts
    Rare: 120 pts

My deployment is in the picture:
    http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1.../battlemap.png
    The thane joins the longbeards, the BSB and lord join the hammerers and the runesmith joins the warriors.

Da plan! My longbeards' flank is protected by the idol of gork, and my warriors are going to drink from the wyrdling well untill the ogres arrive, which should give them 2 to 3 shots at getting result 5-6 which is the unbreakable special rule ^^. Statistically they are guaranteed to get it. My warriors, hammerers and longbeards are within range of the master rune of grungni ( hammerers' banner ) which grants a 5+ wardsave to everyone within 6" against shooting attacks and magic missiles.

Note the banestones, they are positioned exactly where I'd like them, precisely in the path of the ogres. When units near banestones are hit, the hits are at +1 to wound. So my str5 organ gun wounds on 2's instead of 3's and my thunderers on 3's instead of 4's. yay!

My plan is pretty beardy on this occassion. I am going to sit back ( which I usually don't do ) and try to shoot off a couple of ogres from both units. Combined with the banestones my thunderers and organ guns should hit like hell. I can basically ignore the scraplaunchers. I have high toughness, 4+ saves, and a 5+ wardsave, the damage is negligible. I can also cancell out most magic with my anti magic ( a dispellscroll, +1 dispelldice, and transfer one of his powerdice to my dispellpool ). Most ogre spells are remains in play, so in my own magic phase I can use my 2D6 powerdice to dispell them before we get to the shooting and combat phase. I am prepared to expend my dispellscroll in the ogre magic phase when they manage to charge me, to deny them any magical advantage, and then dispell any buffs that got through in my own magic phase.

My thunderers are sort of protected from a charge by the screeslope and the banestone ( which will help their stand &shoot ).

My BSB can kill the ogre BSB ( rune of might doubles my strenght if the target has T5 or higher ), and I want to challenge the slaughtermaster ( siegebreaker is annoying ) and the tyrant with my lord, who should be able to handle them with my 1+ rerollable and 4+ ward. My thane will just kill ogres, and my warriors will try to get into the flank of the unit fighting the hammerers ( or the reverse, if needed ). My units should be able to win the combats. The gnoblars are slower so unless the ogres wait for them ( bad idea ), I can kill the ogres before the gnoblars charge a flank or something.

Mynameisgrax:

LORDS

Tyrant w/great weapon, hvy armor, enchanted shield, crown of command [260]

Slaughtermaster w/siegebreaker [230]

HEROES

Butcher w/dispel scroll, skullmantle [175]

Bruiser w/BSB, banner of eternal flame, heavy armor, 2 sword gnoblars [179]

CORE

8 Bulls w/musician, standard, lookout gnoblar [315]

8 Bulls w/musician, standard, lookout gnoblar [315]
    30 Gnoblars [60]

30 Gnoblars [60]

SPECIAL

Scraplauncher [165]

Scraplauncher [165]

RARE

Gorger [75]

I get to place my army down second, so I'll place my Ogres in response to his placement, with the goal of staying behind cover on first turn (the forest in the mid-right of the map will probably be best), and then rushing into close combat as quickly as possible.

With good magic resistance on his side, I'm not going to bother trying to cast offensively on him. Instead, I'm going to focus on buffing my troops. Trollguts (regeneration) and bull gorger (+1 S) will be the spells I'll be focusing on. This should help my bulls penetrate their armor. As a result, all my infantry units will be imposing -3 to my opponent's armor save rolls, making them far easier to kill in close combat.

Both of us are probably going to have 1-2 units in reserve, and again it's impossible to fully predict, but when they do come in I'll try to have them join the fight quickly.

His Lord is really hard to hurt, so I'll either try to slow down his unit with the gnoblars, or get my Tyrant into contact with him. My Scraplaunchers will forgo shooting, and instead try to charge towards the war machines and small units, using them purely as chariots for this battle.

One by one, I'm going to try to wipe out the dwarven units. The gnoblars should be able to hold in close combat for a little while, since the dwarven units are smallish, and don't get too many attacks.

All in all, as long as most of my units stay in close combat, I should be able to win this match, thanks to superior close combat power, ability to severely reduce their armor saves, and the fact that as soon as my main units are locked in close combat, his 'shooty' units will have nothing to fire at.

Voting open.
    Matches will run until early saturday morning.
    please remember to vote in bold.
    Good luck.

Last edited by andre; October 20th, 2010 at 23:27.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

62 (x2)

I really think that the Dwarf tactic is incredibly well thought out, and not only does the terrain favor him in this match, he actually plans to use that to his extreme advantage. The shooting is really going to hurt the Ogres and also the Dwarf characters really shine here.

Dwarves
    Last edited by Esco Thomson; October 21st, 2010 at 04:42.
    It's Adventure Time!
    2010 'Ardboyz Champion

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Gotta agree with Esco here. tactics aer awesome and the terrain jsut screams nenah nenah nenah Vs Dwarf shooting whent tehs tumpies have the hill. Dwarves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Very good dwarf tactics win this, especially as they seem well prepared for the ogres, who are coming the perfect route, through a forest, which could start attacking them and between two bane stones, I feel sorry for the ogres, as the few who survive this will hit a tough and probably largely unbreakable line.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Difficult matchup for OGres. Dwarf shooting will make a righteous mess of things.

Dwarfs.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

69 (x3)

Hmm, i like the general ogre plan in this one, but the dwarf tactics are just hideous. Like many others, the dwarfs are really taking advantage of the terrain in these maps.
    I just dont think enough ogres will get through to take out the dwarf line.
    dwarfs

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

Ouch!

Well the plan for the ogres is quite a good one: the scraplaunchers will have an easy task taking out the guns on the hilltop, but the approach that the rest of the army takes is just unforgiving. The banestones more or less undo the effects of the mighty regeneration spells the ogres will be using and then when they hit the dwarf line they face a strong unflankable line with good anti-ogre abilities., High S, WS, plenty of ranks to fight and... unbreakable...

In the end, the flank will be overrun and the dwarf guns lie in ruins. In the centre, all of the Ogre Bulls and their characters lie dead.

Vote:
    Dwarfs win
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

My throat wants to strangle itself saying this, but with the terrain favoring the Dwarfs that heavily, I fear they'll take this. Sorry Grax
    The Silver Knights of Tor Adrac (He): 26/2/4
    The Spears of Slaanesh (Woc): 7/2/5
    Battlegroup Chalybso (GK): 7/3/3

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

I just like the Dwarves for this one. It all seems to be on their side- Ogres aren't a complete write off but there's just too much in the dwarves favour. If the dwarf units were a bit softer, so the ogres could squash them good when they hit then it'd be more even but as it is... Dwarves.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

69 (x3)

Dwarfs take it 8-0.
    Mynameisgrax is eliminated.
    Cheers for your votes.

Closed Thread