VW 8th ed votewar: Round 3: Match 5: Tossy vs the bearded one - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

8th ed votewar: Round 3: Match 5: Tossy vs the bearded one

Match 5:

This is a dawn attack on this map:
    http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/9346/map3g.jpg

Tossy is deploying first on the left.
    First turn roll was a 2 so tossy goes first.

Deployment zones are assigned in red:

Tossy’s list:
    tossy
    1 x Slann Mage-Priest - 490 pts left

-Cupped Hands of the Old Ones
    -Obsidian Trinket
    -Bane Head
    -Standard of Discipline
    -Focus of Mystery
    -The Becalming Cogitation
    -The Focused Rumination
    -Lore of Life

1 x Skink Priest - 110 pts Spell: 3
    Cube of Darkness
    Ironcurse Icon

20 x Saurus Warriors - 258 pts centre
    - Musician
    - Standard Bearer
    - Spears

20 x Saurus Warriors - 238 pts centre
    - Musician
    - Standard Bearer

10 x Skink Skirmishers 70 pts right

20 x Temple Guard - 351 pts left
    1 Banner of Eternal Flame

8 Chameleon Skinks - 96 pts

7 Chameleon Skinks - 84 pts

2 x Salamander Hunting Pack - 150 pts Right
    - 6 x Skink Handlers

2 x Salamander Hunting Pack - 150 pts Centre
    - 6 x Skink Handlers

Total Roster Cost: 1998

Well you see where I deploy as I don't have much choice in this scenario ^_^

Bane Head is pointed at King Ferrun (all wounds against him are doubled)

There is a big forest in the middle of this map, that provides me enough cover to get away from the annoying organ gun, cannon and bolt thrower until they are dealt with. It serves a greater purpose though. Due to my army being speedier, I will use it to engage what I want and avoid the others until it is time as it will slow everything down that goes through it or around it.

I am lucky enough to have my saurus warriors Together for this one as I am going to need blocks to take out the stunty little men. The major advantage I have here is speed. I can engage when I want to, and not on his terms.

My magic may have a hard time against them, so I will be using it to buff my warriors again, it is what it is there for and it makes my blocks downright scary. Cube of Darkness could be annoying for him too

Chameleons go after the organ gun and Cannon. Then the bolt thrower and then thunderer hunting. I have enough of them to take out what they need to and as mentioned before the speed to avoid anything nasty. If they get time, hero hunting.

The temple guard should be able to hold their own against anything that gets thrown at them so they will be used to hit where they are needed

Salamanders get pointed at the heavily armored, Sit back, bait and spit.

Skinks will be used as a screen and a sacrificial unit. They will screen what they can and take pot shots until dead.

I will admit I am fearful of the lords and heros. They will be a pain, but they can be dealt with. Hopefully the skinks poison shots will do enough damage, at the least I would expect them to be weakened before combat. If not the chameleons will be swarming them too. (especially matched with bane head)

The bearded one’s list:
    King Ironhands Iron host
    King Ferrun ironhand is the king of Karak Grim, situated to the west of Karaz a Karak at the foothills below the black lack. He has frequently taken to the field with his throng in recent years to avenge longstanding grudges. Greenskins and Skaven have felt his army's wrath and the king takes on te most formidable opponents to be found in the enemy army, not merely to best them in personal combat, but also to relieve his army of the weight of having to deal with unnatural foes. Carried to battle by loyal shieldbearers and encased in his ancestors' heirloom armor, encrusted with runes of protection, the king stands at the very centre of the battleline. Artillery and missile troops fire their ammunition into the enemy, forcing them to close with the dwarven shieldwall only to have the real slaughter begin, spearheaded by the king himself and his loyal hammerers.

Lords:

King Ferrun Ironhand Centre
    Dwarf lord
    •Great weapon
    •Shieldbearers
    •Master rune of spite
    •Rune of Stone
    •Rune of resistance
    251 pts

Heroes:

Godri Thunderhammer centre
    Thane
    •Battle standard
    •Master rune of gromril
    •Rune of cleaving
    •Rune of might
    160 pts

Skalf Swiftaxe centre
    Thane
    •Rune of fury
    •Rune of striking
    •Rune of cleaving
    •Rune of Stone
    •Shield
    127 pts

Thorrin Dragonforge left
    Runesmith
    •Rune of spellbreaking
    •Master rune of balance
    •Shield
    147 pts

Core:

20 Dwarf warriors left
    •Shields
    •Full command
    205 pts

20 Longbeards centre
    •Shields
    •Full command
    265 pts

10 thunderers choose
    •Shields
    150 pts

Special:
    Bolt thrower centre
    •Engineer
    •Brace of pistols
    65 pts

Cannon choose
    •Rune of forging
    •Rune of burning
    130 pts

23 Hammerers centre
    •Shields
    •Full command
    •Master rune of grungni
    379 pts

Rare:
    Organ gun centre
    120 pts

1999 pts

Lord: 251 pts
    Heroes: 434 pts
    Core: 620 pts
    Special: 574 pts
    Rare: 120 pts

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...pers/map3c.jpg

I will deploy as on the picture ( yeah, it's a habit. More clear as well )

The bolt thrower provides an area where scouts can't deploy.
    The organ gun and cannon are placed in such a way so that the blocks will provide hard cover. Chameleons would have to fire multiples at long range and at hard cover, providing a massive -4 to hit, so they'd hit on 7's. my light armour and the 5+ ward from the master rune of grungni will prevent the damage untill I've gotten rid of them. Because if they get close from the front ( and I've filled up my deployment in such a way to provide no spot for scouts in there ) I'll charge them and/or shoot them.
    The organ gun ( a bit cheesy ) is high enough to fire over dwarfs due to true line of sight. Hard cover doesn't matter for automatic hits I'll use it to blow the chameleons to kingdom come. The thunderers with their +1 to hit should be able to kill a few as well.

The plan beyond killing chameleons: if the lizardmen go first and the saurus sit back, slann casting magic ( which they'll obviously do.. ), I am going to advance across the field. My warriors will fight a saurus unit, my longbeards should destroy another with help from the BSB, and my hammerers are going for the slann bunker. Hammerers vs templeguard should be pretty 1:1 ( I hit on 3's, wound on 2's, he hit's on 4's, wounds on 3's but has 2 attacks each ) , but my thane and lord should reliably win the combat for me.
    My magic defence; I've played this runesmith against a slann before, and it's really effective, probably more than you will give credit for. I steal a dice from him to my dispellpool and gain another from having a runesmith, balancing out the magicpools by 3 dice. I'll need to dispell a bit selectively. priorities: Throne of vines absolutely, I want the slann to be risking miscasts and blowing templeguard away. Secondly dwellers below. I would rather not lose many models to that despite my good strenght. Spell 0, 1 and 4 I don't really care for. Flesh to stone is also one I want to dispell, priority mainly goes to throne and dwellers.

Shooting: My cannon first shoots at the salamanders, and then the templeguard ( forcing 'Look out sir' rolls ). My bolt thrower will do the same. My thunderers will shoot at chameleons if the can, and then the salamanders, then the saurus. My organ gun ( suprise ) will do the same. I'll open the way to the saurus and try to whittle those down.

Voting is open.
    Matches will run until thursday evening.
    please vote in bold
    Good luck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

poor poor reptilian's the dwarf shootign and solid deployment to stop scouts will see many an end to almsot all the lesser lizards although Lore of life will save some and a well placed dwellers will maybe do some damage but dwarves have quite good S on their heros and lords as much as i want to vote for the lizards (I love them over stumpy drunks). i just have to place my vote where i feel the most damage will come from.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Hmm I don't know with this one. Saurus warriors and temple guard only have the hammerers to worry about. War machines are a real issue. Slaan can really swing battle with its magic.

Must contemplate....
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

dont forget the tumpie smith steals a PD to DD every turn spellbreaking can also remvoe spells from the game if im not mistaken so i wouldnt count on the slann dominating stuff as the stumpie drunks have +2 to each Dispell atempt +2 DD per phase (smith auto gives 1+1 stolen from PD) dispell to power will almost be equal most turns

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

A tough match. A Slaan with Lore of Life is ridiculous, but given the setup, I don't see how the chameleons/skinks can get anywhere near the war machines without facing warriors/hammerers first, which will easily mow them down. The character heavy dwarves VS the lore of life buffed lizardmen, however, will probably become a stalemate in the center of the board.

It'll be a close one, and I'd love to see it played out. As it stands though, I believe the lord and heroes give the dwarves the CC superiority they need to win the game. I give it to the Dwarves.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

62 (x2)

Chams are going to be right on his war machines, and seeing as he has first turn, take out at least 1-2.

After that cannon is gone, there are no ways to stop the regen, and even with solid magic defense, the Slaan is going to buff his units and whittle out Dwarves with Dwellers.

Lizards
    It's Adventure Time!
    2010 'Ardboyz Champion

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

It seem to me that the dwarves have plans to counter the lizards, but the lizards are over-estimating the amount of cover one forest will provide - sorry Tossy but frankly I see you being shot to pieces before you can eliminate the war machines, especially as the units you want to kill them is being targetted first. Regrowth is of no use at all once the unit is dead!

Match to the dwarves.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

69 (x3)

My initial reaction in a battle with these two lists is to go with lizardmen, (i've played similar battles several times and more often come out as winner with lizards). They'll take out at least one warmachine early and salamanders will be great against the packed dwarf formations. The problem is that the plan is not the best, and the lizardmen army has no high strength combat attacks. With the dwarf combat characters slowly whittling down the saurus, I think the dwarves will eventually break through and take this game in the late turns and by very few victory points.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Yeah, gotta go Dwarfs. I think terrain, deployment, etc. go their way. I think Lizzies outclass the dwarves in close combat, but they will take serious casualties before combat ensues.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

69 (x3)

Voting is closed.
    Dwarves take it 5-1
    Tossy is eliminated.
    Cheers for you votes.
    Next round matches will be pm'd tomorrow afternoon.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast