VW 8th ed votewar: Round 4 Match 1: DavidWC09 vs The Bearded One - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

8th ed votewar: Round 4 Match 1: DavidWC09 vs The Bearded One

DavidWC09 vs The bearded one

The battle is a meeting engagement on this map: http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/6...ngagement1.jpg

The bearded one is deploying first on the left.

The bearded one is going first as the first turn roll was a 2.

Reserve units and spells are marked in red.

DavidWC09’s list:
    WoC List
    Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch, lvl 4, general, Chaos Steed, Blood of Tzeentch, Crown of Command, Talisman of Endurance – spells: 1,1,5,2
    Exalted Hero of Tzeentch, BSB, Chaos Steed, Favour of the Gods, Charmed Shield, Collar of Khorne, Golden Sigil Sword

24 Warriors of Tzeentch, full command, rapturous standard – reserves
    8 Chaos Knights of Tzeentch, full command, blasted standard
    1 warshrine
    1 hellcannon
    5 warhounds
    5 warhounds
    5 horsemen of slaanesh, musician, light armor, flails

All of his units will have deployed before any of mine, so I'll deploy in reaction to him.

His bolt thrower is skunked a couple of turns, which is good for my knights, but I would have preferred that the organ gun or cannon were off the board. Regardless, both his bolt thrower and his thunderers will lose any support they could lend for at least two turns. That leaves me with his organ gun and the cannon.

I can either huddle in my corner or go and fight, and well, we are Warriors of Chaos, so let's toe the line of battle. While my warriors are buffing their fingernails in reserves, all my fast units are on the table, so that's a good thing.

He could try and use the hill, but it's right on top of the center line, within charge range for a unit of knights. If he does that, the knights and hell cannon will respond, charging in. If they can tie up his infantry units, my hounds and horsemen can sneak around and try to take care of the organ gun or cannon.

If he instead crouches in his corner and uses his war machines to pepper my units, I'll spread my guys out so that they're all deployed side by side. Because I can deploy so close to the center line, I can hopefully engage in combat fairly quickly, more or less neutralizing his machines' effectiveness against my power units.

The Tzeentch spells I'll take are flickering fire, baleful transmogrification, treason of tzeentch, and call to glory. I only care about treason and flickering. Treason will be cast on the hammerers turn after turn with up to 6 dice if I have them. Any remaining dice will go to flickering fire on the war machines. He'll deploy with the knights and get into the mix with his knight posse.

The knights will deploy in the center in either case, as that lets thing get to any part of his deployment zone via the shortest route. Hounds and horsemen will continue to look for a lucky charge on a war machine.

Either way, the shrine will buff the knights because they're going to have some serious killing to do in the coming battle, and the hellcannon will support the knights whenever possible, adding its thunderstomp to the same combat.

The warriors in reserve will enter as close as possible to enemy units. Hopefully, they'll come in soon enough to serve as second wave and mop up some loose ends. Their delay does mean that their points will almost certainly be denied to him.

I'll lose my hounds and horsemen, but the other units will be harder to kill. If I can get the knights, cannon, and warshrine into a limited combat, they can hold out, kill characters, pick up points, and wait for the warriors to arrive.

I think it will be a very, very tight game, but that I can edge out at least a 100 point win in the long run.

The bearded one’s list:
    King Ferrun Ironhand
    Dwarf lord
    •Great weapon
    •Gromril armour ( 4+ armoursave )
    •Shieldbearers ( +2 to armoursave, 2 WS5 str4 I3 attacks )
    •Master rune of spite ( 4+ ward )
    •Rune of Stone ( +1 to armoursave )
    •Rune of resistance ( rerollable armoursave )
    251 pts

Godri Thunderhammer
    Thane
    •Battle standard
    •Gromril armour
    •Master rune of gromril ( grants a 1+ armoursave )
    •Rune of cleaving ( +1 strenght )
    •Rune of might ( strenght is doubled against enemies with T5 or more )
    160 pts

Skalf Swiftaxe
    Thane
    •Gromril armour
    •Rune of fury ( +1 attack )
    •Rune of striking ( +1 weaponskill )
    •Rune of cleaving ( +1 strength )
    •Rune of Stone ( +1 to armoursave )
    •Shield
    127 pts

Thorrin Dragonforge
    Runesmith
    •Gromril armour
    •Rune of spellbreaking ( dispellscroll )
    •Master rune of balance ( steal one enemy powerdice, adds it to the dwarf pool as a dispelldice )
    •Shield
    147 pts

20 Dwarf warriors
    •Shields
    •Full command
    205 pts

20 Longbeards
    •Shields
    •Full command
    265 pts

10 thunderers
    •Shields
    150 pts

Bolt thrower
    •Engineer
    •Brace of pistols
    65 pts

Cannon
    •Rune of forging ( reroll misfires )
    •Rune of burning ( flaming attacks )
    130 pts

23 Hammerers
    •Shields
    •Full command
    •Master rune of grungni ( 5+ wardsave against shooting and magic missiles to any dwarf unit within 6" )
    379 pts

Organ gun
    120 pts

1999 pts

Ah, glory! The terrain is in my favour, I've got the good side of the map for this match-up.
    The odds of me getting first turn are in my favour.
    And the reserverolls are in my favour, the chaos warrior regiment is in reserve, so assuming I'm on the 12" line ( I think I am further away than that ) it would take those guys 4 turns to reach me, assuming they're lucky with their charge.

Here the deployment:
    http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...oswarriors.png

The warriors with runesmith deploy near the wyrdling well and start drinking from it untill they are unbreakable. Statistically they should be unbreakable after 3 turns of drinking.
    The cannon deploys above them, and the hammerers with my lord and BSB deploy above the cannon, in the center of the line so their 5+ wardsave reaches everyone in the battleline. The organ gun deploys above them and the longbeards with thane above those. The idol of gork protects my flank from flankcharges. My organgun and cannon are positioned between the blocks so that warhounds and marauders can't charge them and would hit the blocks. My thunderers can kill them on a stand&shoot and defeat them in CC.

I'm going to stay where I am and shoot the bejeezus out of the chaos knights. Wherever they go they are in range of a banestone, or have to pass through dangerous terrain. If they deploy far north.. it'll take an extra turn to reach me

The hellcannon I am not worried about. My toughness, armour and the 5+ wardsave should migitate most damage. And of course it can always scatter away or misfire.

The magic phase doesn't worry me that much either. I can just about match him dice for dice with my runesmith. His only advantage is +4 to cast against +2 to dispell, but a little bit of selective dispelling will see me overwhelmingly dispell the dangerous things. If he has gateway, then I reserve my scroll for that. I also hope he miscasts ( for all I care he irresistibly casts gateway.) A str10 blast will hurt his unit too and blow it to smithereens, making it supereasy to mop up with either my longbeards or hammerers, let alone shooting of doom.

My thunderers and bolt thrower will come up to the north. If the chaos knights go after those? ...lol. That would take them out of the game untill turn 5 or so while they restrain and move around the idol.

Shootingphase: Fire everything! Blast those knights back to the hell they came from! My goal is to kill a rank of them, If I have first turn I should have 2 rounds of shooting, if not more. My cannon and organgun should be able to kill at least 5 knights, especially with the banestones & dangerous terrain. The thunderers might kill 1 or 2 too, and the bolt thrower..? Well, if he does it's a nice bonus. My hammerers are going to take them on and should bash them silly, wounding on 2's and reducing the save to 4+/6++. My lord will challenge and laugh at their pathetic attempts to wound his tank armour.

When the infantry chaos warriors finally arrive a turn or 2 after the rest, I can focus all my fire and units on them, and the BSB would have a fieldday wrecking the warshrine.

Matches will run until wednesday morning.
    Please vote in bold
    Good luck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

A problem with the dwarves' strategy is that he's directing the fire of units that aren't going to be on the table at the start of the game, and by the time they get to shoot, they probably won't have a clear shot.

All in all, I find the 'let them come' strategy to be a bit questionable, and wonder if he would have been better off trying to misdirect or tie down the knights, at least for a while. As it is, I only see the dwarves killing half at most (this includes a death from dangerous terrain), before they reach close combat. This may seem like a lot, but in close combat they'll be incredibly vicious, regardless of their numbers.

Of course, Chaos has a few problems of their own. First off, he's being very aggressive with his wizard. If his plan goes as he says, he'll be locked in close combat with hammerers quickly, which isn't a good place for him, since they can kill him without too much trouble. Of course, he could lessen the danger by placing him on a far end of the unit, limiting the number of enemies that can attack him. Secondly, he's really not giving much thought to flanks. Instead of hunting war machines, I wonder if he would've been better off using the warhounds and horsemen to guard flanks instead.

All in all, this will be a very tough match. I agree that the dwarves probably won't kill off the warriors of chaos, but then again, I don't think the warriors of chaos will kill off the tougher dwarven characters.

It's a tight race, but I ultimately have to give the edge to the dwarves. The Chaos knights are going to get flanked, and even if it doesn't immediately kill them, it will cut their killing spree short, allowing the dwarves to position themselves better, and ultimately get a minor victory.
    Last edited by mynameisgrax; November 1st, 2010 at 17:01.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

I hope it's alright with Andre, I would like to clarify ( for both mine and DavidWC09's sake ) that units in reserve can come up in turn 1 ( and charge/march/shoot in turn 2 ).
    Last edited by The bearded one; November 1st, 2010 at 17:26.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Thunderers are move or shoot, so they won't be firing on the first turn, and with this board setup, I think the knights are going to reach close combat on turn 1, as long as they aren't picky over what they charge. So the thunderers will only have smaller units to pick on when they can shoot.

I did forget about dangerous terrain, however, so 3 would probably die before reaching close combat. I'll adjust my original entry.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    Thunderers are move or shoot, so they won't be firing on the first turn,
    Quote Originally Posted by The bearded one View Post
    ( and charge/march/shoot in turn 2 ).
    That's what I said

Sorry andre, I'll shut up now ^^
    Last edited by The bearded one; November 1st, 2010 at 17:25.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Saying they can 'shoot without penalty', to me, insinuates that they can shoot with a penalty in the first round, and in reality they can't shoot at all. I just didn't want anyone getting confused.

However, I did indeed misread the map you supplied with your placement. Sorry about that. Looking at it more closely, I can clearly see that the Chaos Knights are almost certainly not going to get a first round charge. However, he'd be insane to not screen his knights with one of the smaller troops. All things considered, I think the thunderers are only going to kill a single knight, and by then the rest of the army won't have a clear shot (or in the canon's case, might be too close to fire safely).

All in all, I'm going to assume the dwarves would kill half the knights before they reach combat. It might be more, but I'd have to see the game played out to be sure. As it is, it won't be enough survivors to immediately destroy the unit they hit, allowing the dwarves to flank and halt their advance.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

585 (x8)

Sorry to confuse, I wanted to provide a general statementinstead of very specific to move-or-fire

* fixed the quotes *

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

69 (x3)

Enough of this please...
    Back to voting...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

62 (x2)

I think this would be quite the bloodbath to watch. I think that the tactics of the WoC are pretty solid, and I think that the Dwarves not worrying about the Hellcannon is a mistake. He only focused on the assumption that David would be firing it and not rushing it forward to rape things in combat. Which it is quite awesome at doing.

I think there will obviously be casualties from shooting, however I think that the WoC are going to prevail here, and inflict enough damage to take this one.
    It's Adventure Time!
    2010 'Ardboyz Champion

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

The Warriors sole hope is to get across the board fast, which is somewhat delayed with one of two integral fighting units arriving late to the party - the knights will take quite a bit of pain on their way across the board, and will find themselves outnumbered and surrounded upon arrival, additionally, they have a sorcerer in their ranks, that's planning to throw max dice at things - which is quite a risk considering it's the primary fighty unit the Woc have. What the hairy one said about the hellcannon is as true if the thing rushes forward - it's only S5 vs T4, good armorsaves and a medium wardsave - I don't think the hellcannon will do all that good at all. I really don't want to say this, but again luck shines brightly upon the Dwarves
    The Silver Knights of Tor Adrac (He): 26/2/4
    The Spears of Slaanesh (Woc): 7/2/5
    Battlegroup Chalybso (GK): 7/3/3

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast