VW Thinking of running a VW, any suggestions? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

Thinking of running a VW, any suggestions?

Hey,

Even though my last shot at a VW was quite a mess, we did at least see it through, so I'm thinking of trying once again. Before I commit to anything, however, I would like your opinion on what size the games should be, if there shoul be any restrictions or comp on units or characters.
    I would also be grateful if someone could volunteer to help me run this, especially with list checking and map making.
    If you have any ideas to make this a VW worth remembering, let us know.

Please remember, this is NOT a sign up thread, just to get some ideas and suggestion!

Regards,

5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    157 (x3)

I've been wondering when the next VW would be. I'm too unreliable to offer any assistance I'm afraid but I have a few suggestions for it.

-3000pts anything goes like Ard boyz I believe. (I may be wrong since I'm not from the states so correct me if I am)

-An ETC comp votewar using the current ETC comp.

-A doubles Votewar, not sure how many points maybe 2x1500.

I think a doubles one would be good be it random pairings or having 2 people join up and plan an unbeatable pairing together. It will be interesting to hear what people think, I hope there is enough interest.
    BEN DIESEL FTW!!!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Random is fine if it's before the lists are made - I played in a 40k one where it wasn't, and my team-mate and I had lovely lists that totally didn't work together and other people were in the same situation - or their lists were good matches and it totally swayed the result. Good fun still, but to know you can't win before the thing starts is a bit disheartening!
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

The random thing sounds interesting, but would you stick with your partner through the game, or are you assigned a new partner after each match?
    Are you thinking we have two winners or do the "winners" face eachother in a sudden death match at the end?

Regards,

EDIT: Would this work for 16 players? Cause I don't think I will have 32 like last time, t'was a mess...
    5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

I would like to take part in this, I'm not sure about running the thing, but I would like to participate.

I think 16 would fit perfectly, 2x8, and this random pairing thing sounds interesting. So you'd just have to choose a race before the competition actually begins, and then afterward you would create the army together with your partner, am I right?
    That means Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest-son-of-a-bitch in space!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

Well, i'm always in favour of votewars.
    As for doubles, its a solid idea, but it is tricky to organise, especially if you wanted the teams to be posting tactics. 1500 each with the new percentages could get very interesting though and i like the idea of random partners. All that said, I think I prefer the singles format.
    Generally on this forum 16 seems to be the right number for a war. Any more and it is difficult to maintain the interest through the sign ups and you often find players go missing after submitting their lists.
    A 3000pt war sounds cool to me though. It'd be the biggest we've done on here.
    I'd just be wary of allowing special characters because they so often break the game, and for me, I've always thought votewars are about people's ability to craft a list, not just deploy some ready made magical super gubbins who guarantees victory.

As for helping I have the maps from the last votewar if you want them. Cannibal God did some really good drawings and scanned them in.
    An ill definitely play.

(Un)Official LO Map Maker Cannibal God's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    162 (x3)

I'm all in for maps! And might actually partake this time... Leave me as a "maybe".

Compared to last time, how would you improve the maps? Other than have a few of them less cluttered (need to change scale, if they were based on real boards, the buildings would have been huge), what would you like changed? Were the keys alright?
    If someone helps you, rep them.
    In a votewar you don't vote on a single match, you vote on the entire round. Got that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

I'm up for another votewar, maybe with beastmen this time.

The maps were great last votewar.

I like the doubles idea, although i think it would help balance and keep people on their toes if you redrew the teams each round.
    I don't think it would be too hard to organise, let each person submit their own tactics, so if they don't communicate well, their tactics wont work.

I think 3000 would be too much, the tactics posts would either have to be too vague or too long to read, although a doubles game at 1500 would work with separate tactics.

Also, i agree about no special characters, but not comp, the point of a votewar is to encouage list-building, and comp is to restrictive.
    Last edited by PsychoticVampire; March 9th, 2011 at 23:32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

+1 to 2400 point ETC votewar.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

@Cannibal God : The maps we used for it were sweet mate. There were just a couple you made that I couldn't really use cause the buildings were too large. You are right about the scale, slightly smaller objects might help, especially if we're looking at a larger pointed votewar. The keys were great. I reckon we can certainly re-use a few of your maps. Some new ones would be great too.

@everyone: I would also be disagreeing with comp. What does ETC mean Kroxigor01? As for tactics, I think keeping them shorter is better. At least for the early rounds. And finally we'll need a structure. The double elimination is a good method, but I'd also be up for seeing a war with a group stage and then a knock out. Perhaps four groups of four, with top two going through to quarter finals... You could even seed the lists by getting everyone to rank them at face value at the beginning... An 8 person votewar league would be cool too... Too many ideas on this...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast