VW Round 3, Match 5 PsychoticVampire vs. thetopcat84 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

Round 3, Match 5 PsychoticVampire vs. thetopcat84

Round 3, Match 5
    PsychoticVampire vs. thetopcat84
    Scenario:
    Battleline
    Map:
    Deployment:
    PsychoticVampire top, topcat bottom
    First round:
    PsychoticVampire has first turn

PsychoticVampire

Great Bray Shaman
    Level 4
    Talisman of Preservation
    Level 4, Lore of Beasts
    Notes: 4+Ward Save, Primal Fury
    Heroes
    • Bray Shaman
    Level 2, Lore of Beasts
    • Bray Shaman
    Level 2, Lore of Beasts

• Wargor
    BSB
    Standard of Discipline
    Shield
    Heavy Armour
    Gnarled Hide

• 50 Ungor Herd
    Full Command
    Spears

• 50 Ungor Herd
    Full Command
    Spears

• 50 Ungor Herd
    Full Command
    Spears

• 20 Ungor Herd
    Halfhorn
    Musician

• Tuskgor Chariot
    • 10 Harpies
    • 5 Harpies
    • 5 Harpies

Spells:
    Level 4,1,3,6
    Level 2,2
    Level 2,5

Deployment:
    • All units (except harpies) against back of board.
    • The three spearblocks horded in a wall in the top right corner, in an unbroken line from the river to the right board-edge.
    • The block of 20 ungors in the river to hold the left flank.
    • The chariot to their left on the other side of the river.
    • The BSB and Great-Bray in the corner spearblock, the shamans each of the other blocks.
    • Harpy units 12” in, largest in the centre, others to either side.

Tactics:
    • Stay at the back to force the monsters to fly/run to me unsupported, leaving him engaging me piecemeal, advancing through a river, exposed to countercharges.
    • The harpies will fly to positions out of charge arcs in the 1st turn for a joint 2nd turn charge against the lord’s unit, which will be skeletons hopefully, with the large unit hitting in the front, and the two others hitting in the side, I will have 33-35 attacks, aagaist skeletons, the vampire will hit 1st, killing 2-3, then I will attack next, killing on average 6-8 skeletons, the remaining skeletons will strike back killing 0-2. This will give me a win of 4-6 points, which will crumble the whole unit and take some, possibly all wounds off the lord. If I can I will buff the large unit with wildform, giving me much higher odds of crumbling the lord. If I don’t kill him 1st turn of combat, hopefully the other units will be out of LOS, (likely if he uses ghoulkin), and I should kill him in the 2nd round. If the lord is in the ghouls, the odds become worse for me, but level out again if I get wildform off.
    • If a chimera hits a spearblock, challenge with champion (he is still a character so can’t refuse), he can only kill one man, the unit should hold with steadfast, I throw all my power dice at dispelling next turn and kill vampire, rinse and repeat.

Magic:
    • Dispel: throw all dice needed at stopping him purple-sunning his zombies, this should keep him to casting one Kadon in a phase.
    • Magic: Throw all dice at dispelling Kadon, prioritising chimeras in combat, if no chimeras yet, amber-spear the varghulfs or wildform units.

Good Luck to you topcat, nice list.

Thetopcat84

Vamp Lord (General)
    Forbidden Lore (Death)
    Ghoulkin

Heroes

Vamp
    Forbidden Lore (Beasts)
    Power Scroll

Vamp
    Forbidden Lore (Beasts)
    Power Stone

Vamp
    Forbidden Lore (Beasts)

Core

14 Ghouls
    Ghast

14 Ghouls
    Ghast

14 Ghouls
    Ghast

48 Zombies

48 Zombies

10 Skeletons
    Std

10 Skeletons
    Std

Rare

Varghulf

Varghulf

No tactics submitted, BUT: thetopcat sent me a PM before this round and told me he would not be able to deliver any tactics for this round. His army has some quite general tactics, so I think it would be fair to take a look at the tactics in his other matches to get an overview of his plan.

Voting ends in 72.

Regards,

5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

I'm not ready to vote at this time, but I do wonder about a few things:

1. "advancing through a river" Does that matter, assuming we're talking about mountain chimeras and varghulfs?

2. "The harpies will fly to positions out of charge arcs in the 1st turn for a joint 2nd turn charge against the lord’s unit, which will be skeletons hopefully," This assumes that the harpies won't be intercepted by the varghulfs...

3. "If a chimera hits a spearblock, challenge with champion" I'm sure he knows this, and will endeavor to charge with a varghulf AND a chimera, so the weaker varghulf can eat the champion while the chimera eats more than half of the unit. I've known a chimera with red fury and infinite hatred to kill 38 ungors on the charge.

"No tactics submitted, BUT: thetopcat sent me a PM before this round and told me he would not be able to deliver any tactics for this round. His army has some quite general tactics, so I think it would be fair to take a look at the tactics in his other matches to get an overview of his plan."

Well, I do know the general tactics of a kadonspam/zombiebattery list...but the question of whether thetopcat would clear out the harpies before proceeding to throw multiple monsters at individual spearblocks leaves me unable to cast my vote...if he ignores the harpies, there's a not insignificant chance that twenty harpies charging the vampire general's unit would indeed crumble him out...which changes the entire game.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

Well, marnepup has put in some good work on trying to make sense of this battle. The thing is, even chimera ravaged ungors will still be steadfast. They will hold, just. This is enough to tip it back in the favour of the beasts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

This is a tricky one, but I think I have to put some more time into thought...

So I thought about it, and I think that the VC's magic is going to be brutal. There are plenty of options between his lore choices to snipe characters off, fire off spells to deal with the harpies, and with the first turn, also put the pressure on with Khadon if he would go as he has previously done. There are a lot of Beastmen across the board, but I think that the VC will neck this out.
    Last edited by Esco Thomson; May 20th, 2011 at 18:24.
    It's Adventure Time!
    2010 'Ardboyz Champion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

We really need to get some votes going for this match! Though I find myself in the same position as Esco, really on the fence with this one.

On the one hand, the beasts have some good tactics and simply like a lot of bodies to take on the VC, on the other the VC is a very well construed list and with good winds of magic, the monsters will have little trouble with the ungors.

I want to vote beasts because they "feel" like the right call for this match, but saying that VC will either win or lose dependent on the winds of magic again feels just to general. Not to mention I have very limited experience with beastmen. I hope I can see some more comments on this match to get a better feel for it, otherwise I don't think my vote would mean much.

Somehow, I feel like posting this is almost a bump lol

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

From my experiences, ungors are pretty weak in combat. But theyre in big spear hordes, which i is quite nice sice the undead warriors ar EVEN WORSE in combat.

The armies seem quite similar with the big amount of beast spells and the lack of other elites. just 2 vhargulf and a tuskgor chariot...

Magicwise the vampires have plenty spells with the 4 casters, beasts have 1 more lvl 4, and they also have the bonus of the beasts lore attribute, while the vampires have the "power battery" and extra power scroll/stone.
    the map does not seem decisive, unless all the vampires are huddled around the wizards tower i dont see the ungors trying to go there.

I can't see a proper way to get the harpies in the flanks so easily, with several units lines up, probably with zombie units behind (thats how tTC used em last battles) they can clear the flankers if they actually do manage to flank where ungorhordes attack. the harpies are no threat IMO.
    the amber spears on the other handare more dangerous to vhargulfs/ small unraisable undead units, then it would be to the ungors.
    I think the wildforms can be very imprtant for this. Both armies have the spells plentyfold, the ungor hordes benefit of it most. It actually makes them capable to kill the chimeras. All the ungor spearhorde has to do is cause 2/3 wounds out of those 10W, and then they die as soon as the spell is dispelled again. with ca. 25 attacks and steadfast untill oblivion, thats do-able.

All in all
    Both armies have big fighting power thanks to their magic. The beasts are in a better position to weather this storm.
    Vote: beastmen win
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

Well that wasn't a fantastic display of votes, but at least easy to count...

2-1 to the beasts.

Regards,
    5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

+ Reply to Thread