VW FBVW MkII Rd. 2 - Match 10: Raiders of the Ashen Coast vs. The Legbreaker Tribe - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

FBVW MkII Rd. 2 - Match 10: Raiders of the Ashen Coast vs. The Legbreaker Tribe

Map 3: http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1...enhillssl9.png

Raiders of Ashen Coast

HEROES:
    Noble (General. Rides in chariot): 119
    -Lance
    -Heavy armour, Sea dragon cloak, Enchanted Shield.
    -Seal of Ghrond (+1 dispel dice)

Noble, Battle Standard Bearer - 140 (Joins Spearmen)
    -Heavy armour, Sea dragon cloak
    -Sword of Might
    -Talisman of Protection

Sorceress, level 1 - 140 (hides safely in a forest/building etc).
    -2x Dispel scrolls

CORE:
    18 Corsairs (6x3) - 230 (within 12" of BS
    -Full Command
    -Warbanner (+1 combat resolution)

18 Corsairs (6x3) - 195 (within 12" of BS
    -Musician
    -Standard bearer

20 Spearmen (5x4) - 185 (BSB here)
    -Full command
    -Shields

5 Dark Riders - 127 (flankers)
    Musician, Repeater crossbows

SPECIAL:
    6 Harpies - 78 (war machine hunters)

Cold one Chariot with spears - 97 (Noble here)
    Cold one Chariot with spears - 97 (stays next to Noble for combined charge)

5 Cold One Knights - 172 (flankers)
    -Dread Knight, Musician

RARE:
    Reaper bolt thrower
    Reaper bolt thrower

War Hydra

TOTAL = 2000
    Power Dice: 3
    Dispel Dice: 4 (2 Scrolls)

NOTES:

-Sea Dragon Cloaks (+1 to armour save, +2 against shooting).
    -Chariots & Cold one Knights cause fear

DEPLOYMENT:
    Spearmen in the centre, with Battle standard.
    War Hydra on one side of them. Chariots (+General) on other side. Then a unit of Corsairs next to the Hydra & Chariots.
    This gives me a centre where 3 strong units of infantry all benefit from both the Battle Standard bearer & the General's leadership value, making them very resistant..
    The War Hydra will cause Terror tests to anything that charges it or the units next to it.

Dark Riders & Cold one Knights will deploy on each flank. Once the centre units have tied up enemies in combat, these units will flank charge if possible.
    The Dark riders can also act as march blockers against armies which are fast enough to charge me first. Or bait enemies to charge & then flee, leaving them stranded & exposed to counter charges

Harpies deploy where-ever they can find a path to enemy war machines to slice up the crew, keeping my units safe. Or flanking.
    Sorceress is placed somewhere that she cant be easily reached, shot or killed. Keeping my magic defense in tact & denying easy victory points.

Bolt throwers will NEVER deploy next to eachother. I always keep them seperate so that 1 single tactic can never get both of them (so for example, fliers or a burrowing unit can only attack 1, not both).
    They will shoot down tough units such as monsters (Giants, Ushabti etc) or well armoured units like Cavalry.

My army will advance quickly. The centre units will mostly maintain that original formation to keep all those benefits.
    I dont have a lot of magic defence, but it's enough to ward of any major damage while I advance. Once I reach combat, it is less of a problem (wizards are killed or cant see etc).

Both Chariots will charge units head on at the same time, causing 2D6+2 S5 impact hits + 3 S6 attacks + 7 S4 attacks, enough to crush almost anything.
    The Hydra will charge & cause terror tests amongst the enemies centre (at least 1 unit should flee per game).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Legbreaker Tribe

Lord

Tyrant: Bagulg Legbreaker the Undefeated
    - Heavy Armour
    - Tenderiser (great weapon that does D3 wounds per wound)
    - Greedyfist (+1 armour save, any succesful saves from the armour or ward against magical weapons turns the weapon into mundane versions of that item. Any wizard struck by the Ogre with Greedy Fist loses a magic level per successful hit)
    - Wyrdstone Necklace (5+ Ward Save, on a role of 1 at the start of battle the bearer takes a wound)
    - Mawseeker Big Name ( +1 Toughness and stupid)
    - x2 Luck Gnoblars (sacrifice a gnoblar to re-role a armour or ward save)

316 Points

Heros

Bruiser: Buregg Gobsmasher
    - Heavy Armour
    - Battle Standard Bearer
    - Jade Lion (He and anyone in his unit may re-role failed psychology tests)

191 Points

Butcher: Yuzrof Gristlechewer
    - x2 tooth gnoblars (sacrifice to add +1 to a casting role)
    - Skull Mantle (any psychology tests caused by the butcher or anyone in his unit is at -1 Ld)
    - Bangstick (bound spell level 3 - does D6 S4 hits)

190 Points

Butcher: Uzagg Bloodgulper
    - x2 tooth gnoblars (sacrifice to add +1 to a casting role)
    - Halfling Cookbook (may rerole the To Wound dice when he suffers a wound from a successful Bonecruncher or Toothcracker spell, and only suffers a wound from the Trollguts spell on a 4+)
    - Dispell Scroll

190 Points

Core

x3 Bulls
    - Bellower

115 Points

x3 Bulls
    - Bellower
    - Crusher

135 Points

x8 Ironguts
    - Gutlord
    - Bellower
    - Standardbearer
    - Lookout Gnoblar
    - Warbanner (additional +1 CR)

464 Points

Special

x3 Yhetees
    - Aura of Frost (-1 to hit in combat, immune to ice magic)
    - Scale Terrain (treat all terrain as open ground)
    - Yhetee Ice Weapons (wount as magic attacks)

195 Points

x3 Yhetees
    - Aura of Frost
    - Scale Terrain
    - Yhetee Ice Weapons

195 Points

TOTAL: 1991
    Power Dice: 6
    Dispel Dice: 4

Generic Special rules:
    Ogres & Yhetees cause Fear
    When Ogres charge they cause impact hits.

The Plan

The Tyrant & BSB Bruiser join the Ironguts and essentially they steam role up the board. With a 12" charge and coming up the centre with their flanks protected from cavalry they will get the charge. When doing this they will hit with 3 S5 impact hits, and 2 S6. They then get 10 S6 attacks from the Ironguts, 4 S5 from the BSB and 5 S7 from the Tyrant. The Tyrant will challenge any character he faces, as he does D3 wounds per wound with S7, reducing any wizards magic level by one for each hit and any succesful save he makes turns magic weapons to mundane ones.

So from all the impact hits, and attacks you'll be looking at killing 10 enemy minimum, even from a very hvy armoured unit. You then add +1 rank, banner from Ironguts, +1 warbanner, +1 for BSB, and with a unit strength of 30 probably outnumber. Thats a minimum of 15 Combat Res, and being Fear causing they'll usually break their enemy, and against undead, by killing so much only the largest unit will survive the crumble result.

Each butcher joins a Bull unit and augments them with Gut magic. Trollguts will be good to give the Irongut as they will get regeneration and Magic Resistance 2. The Butcher with Skull mantle will use Braingobbler (panic test) on artillery crews, and with skull mantle at -1 Ld gives them a good chance of breaking.

Yhetees with their 14" march and charge will move up the flanks, through all terrain. Their main job is to protect the flanks and take out Fast Cav & Skirmishers inside forests etc.

Essentially the Ironguts get to re-role psychology, re-role breaktests and pack a hell of a punch. The rest of the army is expenable because these fellas crush all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Here we go again!

Reasons why I think I have the edge:
    -Vastly outnumber the Ogres
    -I have 5 units that are faster than Ogres, so I can get the charge off, negating their strongest point (charging). And the Hydra is equal speed to Ogres
    -I have 4 fear/terror causing units, and high Elven Ld, so the Ogres fear wont effect me much.
    -I have a terror causer against Ogres low Ld.
    -My Bolt throwers can whittle down his units
    -My harpies & Dark riders can easily march block the Tyrant unit, keeping them out of the game for a while. Allowing me more Bolt thrower shots
    -My list's weak point is magic defence, & the Ogres dont have strong magic.

All in all, I think the Iron gut + Tyrant unit is utterly lethal, but it's fairly alone & cant win the game by itself. I could whittle it down with shooting, counter charge it with faster units &/or beat it with sheer static combat res, or both.
    If all else fails & they do get the charge off, they still have to get through units with high static combat res bonuses + BSB + generals leadership, then being flanked left, right & rear by Cold one Knights, harpies & Dark riders etc.

Basically I would use the deployment described below my list, except I'd put my army back further & play the waiting game. Shooting them up while they advance, & positioning my units. Then once they get close, the chariots can counter-charge & deal out enough damage to atleast hold the Ogres for 1 turn, allowing me to gang up on them.

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

Well that hill is going to let the RBT's go nuts on the ogres. The Ogres are outshot, outmanuevered, and in this game are going to be out-charged. The Dark Elves are going to pick off the smaller support units and then going let hell loose on the Ogre super unit. I've never been a fan of the "all the eggs in one basket" approach and this game isn't going to convert me or make me see the light.

Dark Elves win this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Ok, here's why the Ogres will stomp to victory:

Firstly looking at the map:

The hills on either side will favour the Bolt throwers, but 2 of them simply will not cause enough damage against my Mega Unit.
    The Two vast forrests, that would fill 4 feet of the 5 foot board are going to make this a game of tactical deployment and movement. The forests heavily favour my units of Yhetees and the fast Cav units of the Dark Elves simply dont have the room to make enough high damage charges as the only places they can fit through are to the West of the far forest or through the centre, a problem the Yhetees with their 14" charge do not have.

The plan:

Magic is really going to help me here. No offense whatsoever intended to Manu_Forti, but when he says the ogre magic is not strong, he's in for a hell of a surprise. The Dark Elves have 4 dispell dice. With 6 power, and 4 tooth gnoblars all being used only a role of 1 will fail to cast a spell. So on turn one I have 6 power dice, and with a 5 in 6 chance of casting, that'll be 5 spells on avergae, plus the bound spell Vs 4 Dispell Dice & Scrolls which will most likely be used up on that turn. Now keep in mind that 2-3 of those spells cast will be done on a value of 5-6 meaning to have a good chance to dispell then Elves will have to use 2 Dispell dice. So lets say, 2 spells are cast on a 5-6 and 2 dispell dice are used on each, then I still have 3 more spells and a bound item.

Both wizards will be trying to Cast Toothcracker on the Mega Unit. With superior magic this should be a given. This makes all the Ironguts T5, the Bruiser T6 and the Tyrant T7! Ontop of all this the unit is now Stubborn and has a Ld of 9 that can re-role both psychology & break tests. So it doesn't matter if the Ogres get hit left right and Centre. With the Puny elfling Strength Vs the Uber hides of the Ogres the elves simply wont cause enough damage in either shooting or Combat to stop the steam role of the Ironguts. (Just for you unbelievers out there, if you know someone who has Ogres, ask them to try this tactic or the uber unit pumped up by Butchers) Therefore, the main objective of this unit is to hit the centre of the Dark Elf line and crush it in a turn. it doesn't matter what your Ld is, because when you're beaten by a Fear Causing enemy that outnumbers you (unit strength 30 ) you need double 1's just like everyone else.

The Yhettis will storm through the Forests engaging anyone silly enough to be behind them, or use their 14" move to get to grips with the smaller units.

Finally the Bulls will provdie backup for the Ironguts, hitting anyone who hits their flanks to allow the steam role to keep moving, with the Butchers using the Bangstick to kill off the smaller DE units like the Dark Riders & Harpies, while both of them are shooting off Braingobbler (panic tests), one of which is at -1Ld. It doesn't matter what your Ld is, if enough panic tests are caused, somthing always gives.

Vote Legbreaker! Vote for the Great Maw! {goofy}

Von

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL, well the thing is DE can march block you and hold you up a lot before actual combat , and since you have less than 30 models in your army and over a third in the Ironguts who will be shadowed by harpies for the entire game....

Dark Elves win this one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Two words - Magic Missles

I can have 3 in a turn & they really like march blockers :ninja: .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Derfel View Post
    LOL, well the thing is DE can march block you and hold you up a lot before actual combat , and since you have less than 30 models in your army and over a third in the Ironguts who will be shadowed by harpies for the entire game....
    Yeah this happened against Chaos. They had a unit of 9 Chosen Knights with a suped up lord. Nasty but very expensive. They got trapped by my harpies, who would simply fly over them to where they couldnt be charged/seen, while march blocking.
    That let me wipe up the rest of his underpowered forces and deal with the Knights later.
    Won me the game
    Dark riders can also do the same job with 18" move. If he devotes his support units to taking out the march-blockers, then it will leave them out of position. I outnumber so much that those 2 units are expendable anyway (a rare thing for DE).

Magic missiles can be dispelled. Then I have more turns to shoot at you. Mathematically speaking, RBTs would drop an Ogre per turn (3 wounds), or 4 wounds if under half range (24"). With only 6" move I would get around 4 turns to shoot, depending on getting first turn.

One other thing to note is that a row of 5 Ogres will only have 3 in base contact with a row of 5 infantry. Losing 2 Ogres attacks like that would hurt him. I would reform my Corsairs to rows of 5 in this match.
    Same goes for fighting the Hydra & chariots, you wont get all 5 Ogres attacking.

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Manu_Forti View Post

Magic missiles can be dispelled. Then I have more turns to shoot at you. Mathematically speaking, RBTs would drop an Ogre per turn (3 wounds), or 4 wounds if under half range (24"). With only 6" move I would get around 4 turns to shoot, depending on getting first turn.

One other thing to note is that a row of 5 Ogres will only have 3 in base contact with a row of 5 infantry. Losing 2 Ogres attacks like that would hurt him. I would reform my Corsairs to rows of 5 in this match.
    Same goes for fighting the Hydra & chariots, you wont get all 5 Ogres attacking.

Cheers
    If the Magic missles are dispeled then the Ogres will be T5 due to the Toothcracker spells. So mathmatically speaking the RBT need's 4's to wound. So that'll be 1-2 wounds per RBT. Additionally I may give the Ogres the Trollguts spell early on (Magic resistance 2 + Regeneration) as they dont need the Stubborn from Toothcracker until in combat. Either way the RBT's will be lucky if they take down an Ogre per turn combined.

5 models will actuall line up against 4 Ogres. As 2 bases = 1 Ogre base, so you can line the 4th Ogre up Corner to Corner as you must do in order to maximise.

The Tendereriser is there just for things like the War Hydra and Chariots. D3 wounds hitting on 3's wounding on 2's. Neither will last a round of combat with the Tyrant.

Von {goofy}

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

assuming you can get the tirant to be in contact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

If not in the first turn of combat, then either:

a) The winning side of a combat gets to reform
    b) move him if it's my movement next turn.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast