VW FBVW MkII Rd. 2 - Match 12: Army of the Scorpion King vs. Lord Astor's Grand Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

FBVW MkII Rd. 2 - Match 12: Army of the Scorpion King vs. Lord Astor's Grand Army

Map 6: http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/4...rdspassuo6.png

Army of the Scorpion King

Heroes
    (G) Tomb King 251
    Great Weapon
    Armour of the Ages (+1 wound, heavy armour)
    Vambraces of the Sun (enemy loses 1 attack)
    Collar of Shapesh (like a 4+ ward, only transfers wounds to model within 6”)

(H) Liche Priest 160
    Cloak of the Dunes (fly move)
    Hieratic Jar (extra incantation, one use only)

Liche Priest 115

Liche Priest
    Casket of Souls 280

Core
    3 Chariots 120

24 Skeleton Bowmen
    Musician 197

20 Skeleton Bowmen 160

2 Scarab Swarms 90

Special
    4 Ushabti 260

3 Tomb Scorpions 255

Rare
    Screaming Skull Catapult
    Skulls of the Foe 110

Total: 1998

Power dice: 10 (6 incantations)
    Dispel dice: 5 (scorpions have MR1)

Tactical info:

If I have a hill in my deployment zone, I tend to set up a defensive line around it, with the casket and catapult on the hill, the rest of the units along the front or at the sides. If there is no hill, the casket and catapult are placed depending on best LoS and due to terrain, the army being positioned defensively around them but still giving maximum LoS to catapult and Casket.
    Coming up against war machines, I tend to burrow the scarab swarms and one or two scorpions, keeping one in my battle line. Against quickly advancing armies, I usually keep all 3 scorpions in my zone at the start, possibly burrowing the scarabs to be annoying.
    The king joins the unit of 24 skellies. Both skellie units begin in ranks 10 wide, for shooting, reforming the turn before I think I might need them for combat.
    In the first few turns, incantations go on the catapult first, then the skellie unit for shooting.
    Later in the game, spell casting switches to resurrection on key units, and movement spells.magic missile on lone mages
    My catapult generally makes at least one unit flee a battle, and it has gained a reputation for being deadly accurate and reliable : )
    The chariots are used as flankers, or charging weakly armoured units they can take on.
    The Ushabti usually act as a counter charge unit, flanking enemies sponged by the skellies.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lord Astor's Grand Army Of Nordland

Lord John Jacob Astor @ 192 Pts
    General; Full Plate Armor
    Sword of Power; Enchanted Shield; Holy Relic

Captain Felix Kaufmann @ 152 Pts
    Banner of Griffon ;Barding; Full Plate Armor; Battle Standard ;Warhorse

Henry Steinway of the Jade Order @ 150 Pts
    Magic Level ;2Dispel Scrolls x2

Brother Menthor Hartmann @ 119 Pts
    Great Weapon ;Armour of Meteoric Iron

25 Swordsmen @ 283 Pts
    Standard; Musician ;Duellist
    Detachment - 10 Halberdiers ;Shields
    Detachment - 6 Handgunners

25 Swordsmen @ 275 Pts
    Standard; Musician; Duellist
    Detachment - Halberdiers; Shield
    Detachment - 5 Handgunners

10 Handgunners @ 105 Pts
    Marksman ;Hochland Long Rifle

10 Handgunners @ 105 Pts
    Marksman ;Hochland Long Rifle

Great Cannon
    Mortar

10 Knights of the Inner Circle @ 325 Pts
    Standard; Musician; Preceptor; War Banner

1 Helstorm Rocket Battery

Casting Pool: 4
    Dispel Pool: 4
    Models in Army: 127
    Total Army Cost: 1996

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Ok, eliminations. Empire, bring it on!

Well, in this game id go with a defensive line, let them advance while I pick off units and men with shooting and magic. And i have a hill to base my defense aound, even better! the walls will pretty much centralise the empire advance, so ill will be fighting less units at once, which is good as i can pick and choose my combats better.
    Needless to say the casket and catapult will go on the hill for max. LoS, with the ushabti and archer units in front of the hill.

The empire wont be getting much magic off against me, 4 power vs. my 5 dispel dice
    However the tomb kings magic phase will be relentless, only 4 dispel dice and 2 scrolls. Those scrolls will probably going on the casket in the first 2 turns, so ill probably safely be firing the catapult twice a turn (magic and shooting) with up to 2xD6 and 3x2D6 spells going at it. The other spells will be attempting to get the archers firing, whittling down the empire units.

The knights could be nasty, but one or two well placed catapult shots should take care of them, killing off a few, maybe even result in them fleeing! (my catapult has a reputation for being accurate ) once they are delt with, the catapult can start on the swordsmen units.

The cannon, mortar and rocket battery will be taken care of in due course by the tunneling swarms and scorpions (probably tunnel all 3 scorps, and they can take care or the handgunners once they are done with the artillary) any damage taken from the war machines can be magically healed later…
    My King will have the upper hand in challenges, 4S7 attacks, 4+ ‘ward’, 5 wounds, enemy looses an attack. Even the plate armour won’t last long. The skellies will be there for static CR as the king and Ushabti deal out damage. Should have enough spells to keep my units healed too. Tomb scorpions can support my units when they have finished mopping up the war machines and gun lines.

Chariots will probably hang around for a flank charge, although I’ve found chariots get a lot of attention from the enemies shooting, if they die to cannon shots etc then so be it, just means the rest of the army will be intact!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

I think the Tomb Kings have the upper hand in terms of ranged effectiveness. Especially since the Scarabs & Scorps can burrow & take out the Empire shooting.
    This will probably force the Empire units to go on the attack. In which case, those walls totally screw them, because they are bottle-necked into the centre, with some big cuddly Ushabti waiting for them. Along with a few arrows..

I think the Empires best chance would be to hang back and defend it's shooting from the Scorpions, then hope that he can out-shoot the Tomb Kings, which would be difficult. Especially considering the lack of capacity to dispel those extra catapult shots & wound regeneration.

Im handing this one to Tomb Kings

Tip:
    This is a classic case of why I coach DE players not to go half-shooty & half-close combat. You end up lacking in both departments.. Better to go all out with one or the other.
    I think the same applies here to Empire. They either need a nasty gunline to outshoot the TK, or a hefty CC force to have enough muscle to take the fight to them.

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

This isn't going to go well for the Empire player. If he can get a clean shot at the casket with a cannon, and then use the mortar and the rocket battery to do some damage he might be ok, but the Tomb Kings can heal most of it due to their superior magic phase.

Sorry to say the Tomb kings will win this

:ninja: out
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Tomb Kings, for magical superiority and warmachine killing capacity. Doesn't leave very much left for the Empire
    Arena of Death Champion: Nexim of the Guldskullz Tribe. Fear my wrath!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

The board plays right into the hands of the TK, and the scorpions and swarms will mean that they will win a shoot off. This will force the Empire forward on the blades of the UShati and the scythes of the chariots.
    The empire will also struggle to fend off the casket...

Tomb Kings

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I think it the TK list had some block units, the Empire would win, but the trick, as I see it, is where the Empire player will get his Victory Points. The skeletons will be easy enough to catch, but hard to eliminate due to their size and the Liche Priests replenishing them. They could quickly become tarpits for the Empire units.

On the other hand, TK also has to snag points from somewhere. Taking out warmachines won't be enough and engaging big blocks of troops could mean nasty combat res results for the undead.

I think it will be a very tight game, but if the Empire player concentrates his attacks on the hierophant and his unit, he can win.

I'm voting Empire.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I love the empire list and am going to vote for them.

Scorpions coming from the ground is a very unsound strategy, you don't know when they will come up or even if they will come up at all. So the empire war machines are far from doomed from the start.

A couple of rounds of shooting and the Khemri are on the back foot. Mortars, cannons and hellstorm rocket batteries all pack one helluva punch and could seriously reduce the effectiveness of this TK army.

The TK could find themselves needing to cast the healing incantation over the extra movement one, slowing their game plan down. As the TK do not get irresistible force the Empire player can choose which two incantations he would like to dispel with his scrolls, stopping the TK magic at it's most vital time.

I think the empire can do too much damage at range for the TK to recover from, then when he reaches the lines the empire have a couple of solid blocks of infantry able to withstand the charge.

I would like to have seen more infantry in the Empire list, but I also would have liked to have seen more chariots in the TK one. With more chariots I may have voted the other way. But today, for me, Empire win the day!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

eeewww.. morden that knight unit.... base combat res of at least 6 O_o hit pretty much any undead unit and it will bowl over it. S6 on a charge as well, nasty. prime target: Ushabti, ie the tomb kings only heavy hitters.

ill have to put my votes in for Empire. while the tomb scorpions could potentially all arrive and destroy all the war machines by turn 2 i doubt it would be that clean. between the helstorm rockets and the mortar i can't see the larger skelly blocks lasting all that long. the chariots are horribly vulnerable to the cannons assault as well as the screaming skull catty being an ideal target.

the only major advantage i can see the tomb kings having over the empire is in the magic phase. while potent i can see the empire army out shooting and out combating the tomb kings without much hassle and having 2 phases advantage over 1 phase is a pretty big thing in my opinion.

EMPIRE
    Last edited by Arklite; May 23rd, 2007 at 00:16.

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

Gotta vote Empire on this one. I think those Knights are going to get into the TK lines, kill off the Ushabiti, and wreck havok on the TK. They have enough support to get there in one piece and to get the job done once they get there.

Empire wins it.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast