How to build a balanced army list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    (Un)Official LO Map Maker Cannibal God's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    162 (x3)

How to build a balanced army list

Lately I've been helping a lot of newer players in my gaming friendship group by helping them understanding how their armies work, running day one-on-one sessions, and helping them build balanced army lists and identifying their strong and weak points. I just thought I'd share my thoughts with you on how to build a fairly balanced army list. This idea can be changed to incorporate themed armies, or armies focusing on a particular playing style. When I realised how much I could use it in building new army lists, I decided to post it here on LO. It's hardly a tactica, but it does complement tactica ideas, helping you create an army list. If this needs to be moved, move away.

1. First off, identify your own weaknesses and strengths.
    I was helping out another player, and he actually believed that skeleton warriors were effective combat infantry, he obviously couldn't figure out why he was losing so much. Something as simple as realising what the defining features of your army are can help you make the right choices in creating effective armies. Just make a list of your particular armies strong and weak points. If you're focusing on a particular playing style or themed army, list the points that relate to that army. If you're favouring theme over playing strength, you can still use this.

Eg Dwarfs
    - Slow movement, no cavalry at all, gyrocopter is the exception
    - Reasonable combat with WS and T4. Basic Warriors can be fitted out with a number of options such as Great Weapons or the ever-reliable Hand Weapon and Shield
    - Great leadership
    - Effective at long range and as a gunline army, large war machine selection, handguns have +1 to hit over standard hand guns
    - Relatively high points cost for models

Something as simple as that to remind yourself of your limitations when building your list. If one of these factors bothers you, try to work around it, it's a great tactician that can take on any situation.

2. Identify your enemy
    What I have here is certainly not an official classification of the armies in warhammer, just meant as an overview in the terms of how armies function on the battle field. List the various types of armies you can meet on the battlefield, and then list the units available to YOUR army (remember themed armies may choose to ignore various units available to them). Easy. The armies I list next to the various groups are just the armies that are most effective at this style of play. I repeat, not official or anything. Just what races work best in that situation.

Eg dwarfs again (just 'cause it's easy)
    Horde (goblins, skaven, undead)
    - Quarrellers, Gyrocopters, Grudgethrowers, blocks of Warriors and Slayers

Gunline (dwarf, dark elves, empire, O+G, skaven)
    - Quarrellers, Grudgethrowers (60" range is the key factor here), Miners, Ironbreakers (can survive bolt thrower and gun shots better)

Elite (elves, daemons, OK. Basically any race that isn't aggressive or armoured. Good in combat, expensive, 4"-6" movement, little to no armour save)
    - Both Handgunners and Quarrellers work actually, Cannons, Ironbreakers

Aggressive (empire, mortal chaos. Armies that can pull off all mounted, hit like a hammer, usually have a good save)
    - Handgunners, Flame cannon, Organ gun, Gyrocopter, Hammerers

Armoured (dwarfs, chaos. Uber defensive. Tzeentch Chaos pull this off nicely)
    - Handgunners, Cannons, Hammerers, anything high strength or armour piercing.

Mage (magic heavy armies, usually HE or undead)
    - There're only ever a few options here really... Runesmith, runes of spellbreaking, anything with magic resistance. Dwarfs are pretty set here though.

Balanced (everyone can do this to some degree, empire are best do to their many entries working in various areas)
    - I tell everyone: Fight balanced with balanced or an extreme. Go all out or take a bit of everything.

3. Make the army list
    All you have to do now is look at the units that show up the most, and try making a balanced army involving those units. If you want a themed army, only list the units that you are allowing yourself to use. Want a gunline? Easy, don't take the hammerers, ironbreakers and slayers. Just get your quarrellers, handgunners and the warmachines that pop up most in the choices above.

Enjoy!

If someone helps you, rep them.
    In a votewar you don't vote on a single match, you vote on the entire round. Got that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

appreciate the thread, thanks

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

162 (x3)

You're very welcome, I think there should be more tutorials like this (not army specific), but there's not much that can change it.
    In a votewar you don't vote on a single match, you vote on the entire round. Got that?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Nice a good crisp guide to how to work out what forces you need ot take and like you said for themed you just dont list anything you refuse to take

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

162 (x3)

Thanks heaps man,
    It just surprised me how unaware people were with some of their armies.

And I'm a junkie for great themed armies, why have a "standard" force when you can theme the hell out of it? If I was to collect skaven, I'd go all out Clan Pestilens. My chaos force is all Tzeentch and only wear chaos armour ('cept for hounds). All I have to do is not incorporate that in the plan. My empire army? Hochland-super-happy-fun-time-theme! Not a horse in sight, no stank, and only one warmachine for every 1000 points (as the plan goes). And there are just that many handgunners. Why be like most people? Who cares if you lose for having a sweet army, it's a game. Wins are just bonuses imo.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

when i start VC's i alry have a theme in mind and although ghouls are betetr troops then skeles i prefer the skele models. I also belive that as ghouls (in all mythos lore) are technicly living people who just feast on human flesh you wouldnt have more of them than raw dead materialsand as such i'll never use the summon ghouls poweras that implieas they are also dead (i know they have the undead rule but this is more to show the weakness of mind and body cuased by eating human flesh).

i might do a necr themed army with only one vampire its a shame there are no necro lords though

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

162 (x3)

Use skeleton models and "count as" ghouls? I'd play that, tournaments wouldn't but if it's just for friendly games then I see no problem.

Yeah, shame about that. I'd love to do an all-zombie army. Like a zombie movie with literally limitless numbers of zombies. And convert some zombie guard too, that'd be sweet.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

aye but untill a new army book Ghoul based is the only workable list In theory but im gonna have a few play tests before i make up my mind as i can make even the most stupid lists work Shooting orks in 40k anyone 96% win ratio (i have only lost to melee orks DoC and Drop pod based space wolves so far)
    i use War of dakka list

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

162 (x3)

shame, that would have been sweet. maybe in a few years.

exactly what the guidelines thing is for. just list the units available and work it out from there. good luck (continued) in the future.

+ Reply to Thread