Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

101 Ways to Win at Warhammer

57K views 181 replies 55 participants last post by  Sammy the Squib 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
EDIT: COMPLETED LIST (LINK)

So this is the thought I had:

A set of axioms (or as close as well can come to one, considering how we all tend to disagree! :) ) illuminating the finer points of playing a solid game of Warhammer. Try to keep them short and pithy. I'll start with a few, but feel free to dispute them.

1. Know your army's weaknesses and strengths. Avoid the first and exploit the second.
2. Know your enemy's weaknesses and strengths. Exploit the first and avoid the second. (If you can't buy all the armybooks, then either borrow a friend's to read thumb through them at your local store. And the obvious one: pay attention when you're playing different armies.)

Okay, #2 was a bit longer than I originally meant, but you get the point. A lot of smart players regularly visit LO, so I'm curious what you people think. And it'd be kind of cool to have a set of guiding principles that could apply to any army.

#2 ·
Good topic, I like this!!

3) Don't be afraid to tailor your army to fight different opponents: If you opponent is fast and light armoured, be shooty. If they are slow, be fast etc. My brother says that this is beardy, but I state that the wise general will take the troops best for the job.

4) Know your enemy: If your playing in a tournament over a few weeks and you know who you are playing next, study them. Learn how they play the game, and how well they play. (NB. This should only really be applied to tournaments.)

5) Be humble when you win and gratious when you lose: The only thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner. Compliment their army choices and thank them for the battle, not matter what the outcome is.

#3 ·
Really good entires, Gingerninja. Now we have to get some other people posting here. ;)

So here's an update of what we have so far.

1. Know your army's weaknesses and strengths. Avoid the first and exploit the second.

2. Know your enemy's weaknesses and strengths. Exploit the first and avoid the second. (If you can't buy all the armybooks, then either borrow a friend's to read thumb through them at your local store. And the obvious one: pay attention when you're playing different armies.)

3. Don't be afraid to tailor your army to fight different opponents: If your opponent is fast and light armoured, be shooty. If they are slow, be fast, etc. My brother says that this is beardy, but I state that the wise general will take the troops best for the job.

4. Know your enemy: If your playing in a tournament over a few weeks and you know who you are playing next, study them. Learn how they play the game, and how well they play. (NB. This should only really be applied to tournaments.)

5. Be humble when you win and gratious when you lose: The only thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner. Compliment their army choices and thank them for the battle, not matter what the outcome is.

#4 ·
6. Never cheat, and smite those who do
Cheating destroys the fun of the game, and winning by cheating is no win at all.
Dare to play honest and dare to talk with those who cheat!

7. Play with humour and courage
Have fun as you play, and never give up until its done.
Dont worry about the outcome and have the guts to do what you want.

Just erase if these wont do.

#6 ·
DavidVC04 said:
Really good entires, Slann mage Tokes and The Greenskin.

So here's an update of what we have so far.[/quote=DavidVC04]

3. Don't be afraid to tailor your army to fight different opponents: If your opponent is fast and light armoured, be shooty. If they are slow, be fast, etc. My brother says that this is beardy, but I state that the wise general will take the troops best for the job.

4. Know your enemy: If your playing in a tournament over a few weeks and you know who you are playing next, study them. Learn how they play the game, and how well they play. (NB. This should only really be applied to tournaments.)

5. Be humble when you win and gratious when you lose: The only thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner. Compliment their army choices and thank them for the battle, not matter what the outcome is.

6. Never cheat, and smite those who do.
Cheating destroys the fun of the game, and winning by cheating is no win at all.

7. Play with humour and courage.

8. Paint Your Army
The Dice Gods,
dig fully painted troops
and will smile upon them with sixes:ninja:

#8 ·
Know the definition of victory. Is victory crushing your foe with a beardy army, or a draw and having a really good time doing it?

Don't fear a Challenge If you have the best calvary in the game, why not throw in some infantry too. Challenging lists and games are usually the most enjoyable too.

Feel free to edit/reword them.

-SgtSnipe

#9 ·
These are all great entries on how to play warhammer and make it fun for both players so sorry if my entry seems a little too focused on winning.

12 Rip the heart out of the enemy Every army has a core to it, its artillary, its magic, its cavelry. Seek to strike at an armies core and destroy it quickly.

13 Seek to end a battle quickly If an opportunity presents itself to destroy several enemy units in one turn and win the battle take it. More is lost through indecision than through a wrong decision.

14 Base your decisions on probabilities not potential What could happen isn't necessarily what will happen. 20 goblin archers all firing will not kill 20 opponents.

#10 ·
Visitor Q said:
12 Rip the heart out of the enemy Every army has a core to it, its artillary, its magic, its cavelry. Seek to strike at an armies core and destroy it quickly.

13 Seek to end a battle quickly If an opportunity presents itself to destroy several enemy units in one turn and win the battle take it. More is lost through indecision than through a wrong decision.
Have you by any chance read the art of war?:)

Ciao

Stonehambey

#11 ·
15 The Illusion of Power People see power where they believe it resides. Learn to recognize this irrational assumption and build on it. Misdirection, to quote a very great man "Where we are weak, feign strength. Where we are strong, feign weakness."

16 Fear of Loss Learn to identify the the unit closest to the enemy general's heart. Contain this unit with the potential for it's destruction. Use the enemy General's love for his troops to bring indecision and doubt to his mind.

Cheers

Origin

(currently in a very Zen state of mind brought about by deep contemplation of the imaginary.....ohmmmmmmmmm)

#13 · (Edited)
Create a sense of fear in the heart of the enemy.

Whether through an impressive win record, knowledge, or confidence you need to undermine your opponent's confidence in his ability to beat you. This is not to say that you should be cocky or rude, those aren't required.

The best example I can think of was a chaos player. He had heard from his friends about the level of my playing, and was already sweating. I reaffirmed this by using another point in this thread, I destroyed his favorite lord and most powerful tactical squad on turn 2 without losing a single unit.

By the second turn, his confidence, strategy and interest in the game had broken down completely.

Solo's win record is an example of this. While I find his win record almost statistically impossible (and impossible on the basis of common sense, not even a draw anywhere in there) it would be intimidating for other players. This is not meant as a stab at him, just another example.

Reactions: DavidWC09
#14 · (Edited)
19 Keep playing to the end. Almost the counter point to the last tactic, if you find yourself at a disadvantage your best unit gone early in the game keep playing, take table quraters, destroy the opponents weaker units. Your opponents belief that he has already won may allow to scrape victory from defeat. Equally don't become complacent when you gain an advantage.

#15 ·
19 Keep playing to the end. Almost the counter point to the last tactic, if you find yourself at a disadvantage your best unit gone early in the game keep playing, take table quaters, destroy an opponents weaker units. Your opponents belief that he has already won may allow to scrape victory from defeat. Equally don't become complacent when you gain an advantage.
I learnt this the hard way in the doubles tournament. In the first 2 turns we destroyed about 600pts in a 1000pt game. We went on to suffer a minor loss. :(

#17 ·
Wow, great additions. Here's an updated list--I hope. Keep 'em coming.

3. Don't be afraid to tailor your army to fight different opponents. If your opponent is fast and light armoured, be shooty. If they are slow, be fast, etc. My brother says that this is beardy, but I state that the wise general will take the troops best for the job.

4. Know your enemy. If your playing in a tournament over a few weeks and you know who you are playing next, study them. Learn how they play the game, and how well they play. (NB. This should only really be applied to tournaments.)

5. Be humble when you win and gratious when you lose. The only thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner. Compliment their army choices and thank them for the battle, not matter what the outcome is.

8. Paint Your Army.
The Dice Gods,
dig fully painted troops

9. Be a sporting player. Winning isn't everything. I generally use WHFB as something to do when I hang out with certain mates. If someone's charge is out by a quarter of an inch, what the hell, I always give it to them.

10. Know the definition of victory. Is victory crushing your foe with a beardy army, or a draw and having a really good time doing it?

11. Don't fear a Challenge. If you have the best cavalry in the game, why not throw in some infantry, too. Challenging lists and games are usually the most enjoyable.

12. Rip the heart out of the enemy. Every army has a core: its artillery, its magic, its cavalry. Seek to strike at an army's core and destroy it quickly.

13. Seek to end a battle quickly. If an opportunity presents itself to destroy several enemy units in one turn and win the battle, take it. More is lost through indecision than through a wrong decision.

14. Base your decisions on probabilities, not potential. What could happen isn't necessarily what will happen. 20 goblin archers all firing will not kill 20 opponents.

15. The Illusion of Power: People see power where they believe it resides. Learn to recognize this irrational assumption and build on it. Misdirection, to quote a very great man: "Where we are weak, feign strength. Where we are strong, feign weakness."

16. Fear of Loss: Learn to identify the the unit closest to the enemy general's heart. Contain this unit with the potential for its destruction. Use the enemy General's love for his troops to bring indecision and doubt to his mind.

17. Exercise Control: Make the Enemy react to you, rather than reacting to your enemy.

18. Create a sense of fear in the heart of the enemy.
Whether through an impressive win record, knowledge, or confidence you need to undermine your opponent's confidence in his ability to beat you. This is not to say that you should be cocky or rude, those aren't required. [additional content]

19. Keep playing to the end. Almost the counter point to the last tactic, if you find yourself at a disadvantage with your best unit gone early in the game, keep playing, take table quraters, and destroy the opponents weaker units. Your opponent's belief that he has already won may allow you to scrape victory from defeat. Equally, don't become complacent when you gain an advantage.

20. To Know and Not to Do is Not to Know.

21. Prevention is Action.

#19 ·
Maybe there should be better defintion of 'to win'

for some it means have a good time, make friends, be a nice person (sissy).

to others it is the find what is best in life. Which as we all know is.....

"To crush your eneimes! To see them driven before you! And to rejoice in the lametation of their women!"

Origin

#20 ·
Knowledge is Strength To know your enemy and what they are capable of is more powerful than any unit you have on the battlefield.

Adapt, Improvise, Overcome When drawing up that army list of yours I'm sure you had an idea of how you wanted to implement it. When, however, has your plan ever panned out the way you envisioned it? Learn to overcome adversity and adapt to different situations.

Visualization This ties into the above, but before the game, realize what your army can do and envision the battle against your foe. Think about what he will do and visualize what you will do to counter. This will help you keep a cool head during the battle because you've already visualized it happening and saw yourself victorious.

I could keep going but I'll save some for the others.

#23 · (Edited)
Divide and Conquer: every army has deployment or tactical options for misdirection. If you concentrate force where they don't expect it, you've won.

Free flow of information: In game, be explicit with any wierd rules your army has. Out of game ask for and give suggestions to improve tactics and composition. That way everyone stays happy and grows as gamers.

#26 ·
Know the rules It's common sense, but knowing the rules to a large degree can give you a huge advantage. A good example would be the surprisingly little-known rule that independant characters get move through cover and skilled riders for free. The rules can give you the tiny edge you need to beat an opponent.

#27 ·
#(i dont know) Use your Surroundings to there fullest extent
If you can exploit impossible terrain, cover for vulnerable troops, or hills etc... you can begin to dictate the battlefield, and we all know how fun that can be sometimes:shifty:

#28 · (Edited)
You guys are wearing me out, but the tips are great. I've left one or two that were redundant, but reading these has been really enlightening.

2. Know your enemy's weaknesses and strengths. Exploit the first and avoid the second. If you can't buy all the armybooks, then either borrow a friend's to read thumb through them at your local store. And the obvious one: pay attention when you're playing different armies.

3. Don't be afraid to tailor your army to fight different opponents. If your opponent is fast and light armoured, be shooty. If they are slow, be fast, etc. My brother says that this is beardy, but I state that the wise general will take the troops best for the job.

4. Know your enemy. If you're playing in a tournament over a few weeks and you know who you are playing next, study them. Learn how they play the game and how well they play.

5. Be humble when you win and gracious when you lose. The only thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner. Compliment their army choices and thank them for the battle, no matter the outcome.

8. Paint Your Army.
The Dice Gods,
dig fully painted troops

9. Be a sporting player. Winning isn't everything. I generally use WHFB as something to do when I hang out with certain mates. If someone's charge is out by a quarter of an inch, what the hell, I always give it to them.

10. Know the definition of victory. Is victory crushing your foe with a beardy army, or a draw and having a really good time doing it?

11. Don't fear a Challenge. If you have the best cavalry in the game, why not throw in some infantry, too. Challenging lists and games are usually the most enjoyable.

12. Rip the heart out of the enemy. Every army has a core: its artillery, its magic, its cavalry. Seek to strike at an army's core and destroy it quickly.

13. Seek to end a battle quickly. If an opportunity presents itself to destroy several enemy units in one turn and win the battle, take it. More is lost through indecision than through a wrong decision.

14. Base your decisions on probabilities, not potential. What could happen isn't necessarily what will happen. 20 goblin archers all firing will not kill 20 opponents.

15. The Illusion of Power: People see power where they believe it resides. Learn to recognize this irrational assumption and build on it. Misdirection, to quote a very great man: "Where we are weak, feign strength. Where we are strong, feign weakness."

16. Fear of Loss: Learn to identify the the unit closest to the enemy general's heart. Contain this unit with the potential for its destruction. Use the enemy General's love for his troops to bring indecision and doubt to his mind.

17. Exercise Control: Make the Enemy react to you, rather than reacting to your enemy.

18. Create a sense of fear in the heart of the enemy.
Whether through an impressive win record, knowledge, or confidence, you need to undermine your opponent's confidence in his ability to beat you. This is not to say that you should be cocky or rude, those aren't required. [additional content]

19. Keep playing to the end. Almost the counter point to the last tactic, if you find yourself at a disadvantage with your best unit gone early in the game, keep playing, take table quraters, and destroy the opponents weaker units. Your opponent's belief that he has already won may allow you to scrape victory from defeat. Equally, don't become complacent when you gain an advantage.

20. To Know and Not to Do is Not to Know.

21. Prevention is Action.

22. Adapt, Improvise, Overcome. When drawing up that army list of yours, I'm sure you had an idea of how you wanted to implement it. When, however, has your plan ever panned out the way you envisioned it? Learn to overcome adversity and adapt to different situations.

23. Visualization: This ties into the above, but before the game, realize what your army can do and envision the battle against your foe. Think about what he will do and visualize what you will do to counter. This will help you keep a cool head during the battle because you've already visualized it happening and saw yourself victorious.

24. Somtimes more is learnt from defeat than from victory. If you lose, don't become disheartened, but ask yourself did your opponent win? Or did you lose?

25. Divide and Conquer: Every army has deployment or tactical options for misdirection. If you concentrate force where they don't expect it, you've won.

26. Free flow of information: In games, be explicit with any weird rules your army has. Out of game, ask for and give suggestions to improve tactics and composition. That way everyone stays happy and grows as gamers.

27. Learn the power of the correctly-timed flee response.
By fleeing you can often throw your opponents plans into disarray, while setting him up for your counter-stroke. Remember, though, he can flee, too!

28. Many times, defense can be the best offense. Don't be afraid to play defensively when you need to. Many times, it is better to play defensively and strike hard when the opportunity arrives.

29. Know the rules. It's common sense, but knowing the rules to a large degree can give you a huge advantage. A good example would be the surprisingly little-known rule that independant characters get to move through cover and skilled riders for free. The rules can give you the tiny edge you need to beat an opponent.

30. Use your Surroundings to their fullest extent.
If you can exploit impassable terrain, cover for vulnerable troops, hills or such, you can begin to dictate the battlefield, and we all know how fun that can be sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.