Greek style army, where from? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Greek style army, where from?

I want to create an Ancient Greek style army for the Fantasy world, but I'm not sure of what location to base it from. I'm thinking the eastern most portion of Tilea.

Army wise I'm considering various units of Phalanx style infantry, ranging from militia to professionals, to mercenaries, and then various skirmisher units like slingers and javeliner's. To include some of the fantasy elements of the game, I'd draw from mythological greece, generals riding pegasi, hag witches as casters, and the possibility of several monster types. Hydra's, Giants, Manticores, etc...

As for models, I'd use a combination of Fantasy and Victrix models to build the army.

Any thoughts?

Nights Justice Space Marines
    Eldar Eth Kariel Craftworld
    Spear of Kurnous - High Elf Expeditionary Army

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1413 (x8)

Tilea is generally considered to be Fantasy Italy during the renaissance.
    What is the goal of your project? Are you trying to build a ground-up armybook like I did with Nippon, or are you trying to provide supporting fluff for a theme?

If you're going for an armybook, it could be tough. I've found through working on the Nippon book that you shouldn't/can't just plunk a historical army into Fantasy. I managed to get away with it because there is practically no information at all on the realm of Nippon, and there's no confusing Nippon for another region - even the historic Japanese called it Nihon, and westerners called it Nippon.
    If you want to do an armybook, I would look to Tilea, and then try to figure out if there is a small enough offshoot of Tilea that you could write an army for. The problem that you have then, however, is that Tilea is generally considered to be Italian, (if they called it Graecia etc, you'd have an argument for you) so most of the themes should come from that.
    Furthermore, the Elves are already pretty heavily invested in the Greek/Roman mentality, so you'll have that to contend with.

If you're just aiming for an army that can use Greek models, the High Elves or Empire would definitely suit you as a ruleset.

I think that it would be a very cool army to see. Have you considered playing Warhammer: Ancient Battles? The Greek (specifically the Macedonian list) army is pretty awesome in that game. The Samurai list was nice too, but because it was East vs West they had to give the Samurai all sorts of unrealistic bonuses in single combat or they'd never survive as an army.
    The 2014 Site Campaign: Roll Call!

My Nippon Armybook, now on Isuu, Scribd, and free for download at Google Docs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

I'm definitely thinking Army Book, I've been thinking it for a while but the biggest issue I've had is the location. There is a small peninsula between Tilea and the Badlands, the western most part of the Border Princes. I was thinking I can use that as a source region. If I really have to, I can base the army as an "older" one, that no longer exists.

As for Ancient Battles, I'd probably be interested in it, but I've never seen a game of it played.

Edit: Myrmidens, and actual Border Prince state. They formed the Achaen League to battle orcs. Sounds like a definite Greek influence.
    Last edited by Djones9916; May 21st, 2012 at 00:49.
    Nights Justice Space Marines
    Eldar Eth Kariel Craftworld
    Spear of Kurnous - High Elf Expeditionary Army

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1413 (x8)

Again, in those shoes, I'd write up a whole Border Princes book, and just include the Achaen League as part of their fluff. Make it known that there are Border Principalities that are NOT part of the League, and that the league itself is even a loose coalition prone to infighting, but they are also the only reason that no other nation has been able to lay claim to the Border Princes.
    You could size them up against Araby (as the Persians) as well as the Orcs that the league was formed to battle against. You might even want to write it more similarly to a Campaign Book, with an Achaen list, an Orc character or two, and rules for fighting campaigns in the Border Princes.

Another thing to keep in mind is that your book will probably never be used outside of friendly games. My goal was to have the Nippon book become something akin to the next Chaos Dwarfs book - GT approved and seen as a pseudo-official book. I figured that I might be able to manage this based on the fact that there are always people who are begging for a Nippon armybook, and never getting one. Matthiason, the guy who is most notable for publishing waves of Unofficial Armybooks, really botched the Nippon list by copy-pasting most of his fluff from L5R rather than writing original work that ties in with the Warhammer world at large.
    Make sure that you do the same - tie your army into the other parts of the established fluff. How did they weather the Storm of Chaos, or what was their role? Did any major events in the Old World (rise of the vampires, the Comet over Middenheim, etc) have any influence on them? How are they handling the Skaven? Make sure that you do your research to get fluff for their bordering nations as well. Barak Varr, for example, is the only Dwarf port city in the world, and it's massive. It's located right next to the Border Princes.
    The more interest you can generate in the book, the better balanced the armylist is, and the more seamlessly your fluff ties into the existing world, the more people will be willing to accept your hard work as a legitimate armybook.

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

As has been mentioned the Elves already have something of a Greek theme running through them. Why not go with this and make an explicitly Greek Fantasy Based army centre around a sub type of High Elves? (Sea Elves maybe, which have more or less been incorporated into the High Elf background).
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1413 (x8)

Come to think of it, aren't the Myrmideans already Sea Elves? I would definitely say that's the way forward with this. You could even say that most of their civilization survives on floating islands (like the Dark Elf black arks) or underwater. Atlantis was a myth founded in ancient Greece after all.
    For monsters you could use Tyranid parts to make big gribbly sea-beasties like a Leviathan etc. You could still get away with the Greek-style armor, units, and tactics, and it would be a cool way to explore the pre-Sundering or even pre-Aenarion part of Elf history.

Hey VisQ, good to have you back! Where've you been? Also, what info do you have/remember from the early Warhammer fluff regarding Nippon? Send it in a pm so we don't derail this thread, if you've got anything.