Librarium Online Forums banner

A character dying from a challenge?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  CaptainSarathai 
#1 ·
I've always wondered about what happens when a unit champion/character dies from a challenge; Does a rank-and-file model take his place immediately after he dies? Even if the character/champion has already attacked?

For example, a unit of 10 chaos warriors charges a unit of 20 clanrats with a naked chieftain.
The chaos warriors' unit champion challenges the unit, where the chieftain accepts.
We'll say due to bad rolling (or whatever happened), the chieftain does no wounds (at I6), and the chaos warrior unit champion manages to slay the chieftain (at I5).
Does a rank-and-file clanrat immediately take his place, as there would be a missing spot in the front rank? And would he get to attack at the next initiative step of 4?
Does this same rule apply to, for example, if a regular clanrat unit champion died in combat (a model who would go at the same initiative step as the clanrats)?

#3 ·
Yep, as there are no special rules regarding what to do when this occurs* then we just assume that a model from the second rank steps up to replace him. This model can attack in it's regular initiative order, providing it hasn't missed it's chance to do so already (your second example, for instance).

*of note however, you cannot attack a model that was fighting in a challenge for the duration of that round of combat. So when your Clanrat steps forward, he can't start poking at the Warrior Champion. He can poke at any other model that he is in base-to-base with (corner to corner, overlap, etc) but he can't make any attacks against the Champion who fought in the challenge this round.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.