Librarium Online Forums banner

Flames of War Help

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  CaptainSarathai 
#1 ·
Okay, several questions have popped into my mind about this game so anyone more familiar, feel free to answer:

- I've gotten the feeling that there are separate army lists for early-, mid- and late-war periods and you are not supposed to play, for example, a LW list against a MW list. Is this so?

- Seems that "lists" are actually pre-written to fit the historical troop compositions of the units: If you play a xxx tank company list the list pretty much describes exactly how many models and which type your army has and thats all. So how much variation ARE there really in the lists?

- Mostly you play against a historically accurate opponent list. For example Soviet list would not be ever played against British list, right? But my history lessons tell me that there were actually several armies that switched from axis side to the allies side in late war... at least Italy, Finland and maybe (I'm not sure) Hungary started with Germans and then later fought against them? So how does that work?

#2 ·
Okay, several questions have popped into my mind about this game so anyone more familiar, feel free to answer:

- I've gotten the feeling that there are separate army lists for early-, mid- and late-war periods and you are not supposed to play, for example, a LW list against a MW list. Is this so?
Yes. One of the concepts that FoW applies is that something which might have been rare in the MidWar era, would receive a discount in the LateWar. This means that while a single MW squadron of Panzer IVs will run you a quarter of your army, in LW you can field quite a few of the guys. The problem of course is that if you're playing 500pts EW against 500pts LW, the Latewar stuff is going to be vastly superior. It would be like playing 500pts vs. 1500pts in 40k or Fantasy.

- Seems that "lists" are actually pre-written to fit the historical troop compositions of the units: If you play a xxx tank company list the list pretty much describes exactly how many models and which type your army has and thats all. So how much variation ARE there really in the lists?
Lists are not pre-written. Units are, to an extent. You don't say "I want to play Germans" and then just use the German armybook, like you would with Fantasy/40k. You say, "I want to play Late War Panzer Lehr" and then find that particular list. That list will tell give you a sort of "tree" for the units that you can use. You can have this or that in support, this or that in your Combat Platoons, etc. It's very limited, but yes, the goal is to ensure that fairly realistic forces meet each other on the table. It would be like saying that you are going to First Company of the Blood Angels, rather than just Blood Angels.

- Mostly you play against a historically accurate opponent list. For example Soviet list would not be ever played against British list, right? But my history lessons tell me that there were actually several armies that switched from axis side to the allies side in late war... at least Italy, Finland and maybe (I'm not sure) Hungary started with Germans and then later fought against them? So how does that work?
It's perfectly okay to play Russians vs. Americans or Americans vs. Brits, etc. As long as you're in the right period, the units/points should be balanced. There are FoW tournaments and the like, so you need to be able to play against aligned forces.
My suggestion is to pick one of the lists that can be used through Mid and Late War. Tanks are the cheapest, and you can usually proxy a Panzer IV D for a Panzer IVF, etc (not always in tournaments though). Infantry is the most versatile, since armies like Brit Rifle Companies were in place from Early to Late War, and simply gained better equipment/support as the eras increased. Infantry models also don't change from period to period. You can use a Brit Rifle Squad from Early War in Late War and there's literally no difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.