Chosen Unit Design w/ new codex - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chosen Unit Design w/ new codex

So I have been reading through the new codex and the rules for arming the chosen are slightly confusing. So which (if any) of the following two builds would be legal and correct:

6x Chosen
    4 w/ Meltagun
    1 w/ Icon
    1 w/ Lightning Claws

OR

6x Chosen
    1 w/ Icon
    4 w/ Lightning Claws
    1 w/ Meltagun

Basically it is the wording for the options in the 3rd column over starting with "Up to four models . . "

Anyone with an answer or suggestions on how to interpret this please post. Thanks!

Additionally, so I don't take up another post spot, is it acceptable to model an icon flag, symbol, etc. simply by having the pole attached to the back of your icon bearer or does he need to be physically carrying it as modeled by GW?

Last edited by farnola; August 30th, 2007 at 19:30.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both are legal 8Y

in the codex you can:

1 with special firering weapon
    4 with more special weapons (which can be maltas, plasmas, fists, LC...)

Chaeron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both are legal, though kinda on the expensive side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True, they would get expensive, but I'm glad that I was at least reading the dex right

Thanks!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

The best use for chosen is still as a special weapon platform, preferably plasma guns, due to their range. Here are a few general configurations:

6x chosen w/ 2x plasma guns

7x chosen w/ 3x plasma guns

10x chosen w/ 5x plasma guns (not recommended, but it sure does produce enormous fire power)

8x chosen w/ 3-4x plasma guns and an a.c. with a power fist (This last option functions great as a fire support unit that can, if needed, assist your spearhead with c.c.)
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

I know I personally prefer the seven man squad rabbit just posted, though I give mine icon of Nurgle. (Its very point consuming, but it is a bit of a throwback to some of the older Nurgle armies what with chosen having infiltrate.)

For the eight man chosen squad, I would recommend taking either a fourth plasmagun or the champion. (The squad is already starting to get a bit expensive what with the three other plasmaguns, a fourth one and fisted champion will be killer on the points.)

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by darkreever View Post

For the eight man chosen squad, I would recommend taking either a fourth plasmagun or the champion. (The squad is already starting to get a bit expensive what with the three other plasmaguns, a fourth one and fisted champion will be killer on the points.)

I've debated the same thing, namely, whether to have the chosen function entirely as a support unit (8 chosen w/ 4 plasma gun) or have it fill more of the all-purpose role (8 chosen, 2-3 plasma, 1 a.c. w/ fist). I usually end up having around 15 points remaining in my builds, at which time, I go ahead an upgrade to a 4th plasma gun. At 244 points, their 20+ points cheaper than a 10 man squad with a rhino. The 4th plasma gun allows the unit to successfully stay at range throughout the entire game. Conversely, the a.c. permits them to be used as spearhead support. I'm not sold on this configuration, but it's worked well so far both times I've used it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

That makes sense, if you have the spare points for the extra gun then why not. Since I run my squads with mark of Nurgle I pretty much take the points for the champion and throw them at something else. (I have found some pretty big satisfaction in taking two Nurgle chosen squads and backing them up with three sonic blaster noise marine squads.)

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mean to hijack the thread but could you post your army list and some tactics? I'm trying to get a sucsessfull slanesh/nurgle build myself and I'm interested it effective ways to combine the two. Chosen with the icon of nurgle sound good but when outfited with plasma plauge marines have the upper hand because FNP can help offset the effect of overheats.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Psyker View Post
    I don't mean to hijack the thread but could you post your army list and some tactics? I'm trying to get a sucsessfull slanesh/nurgle build myself and I'm interested it effective ways to combine the two. Chosen with the icon of nurgle sound good but when outfited with plasma plauge marines have the upper hand because FNP can help offset the effect of overheats.
    Which who?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast