Multiple Defilers - Viable? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The most glorious rainbow ever, Pleasuretown.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x3)

Multiple Defilers - Viable?

Hey all, I've been wondering about the New Defilers. I've always loved the models, but never really liked the 'stand and shoot' rules. Not that we have more options for what to do with our Defilers, I've been considering fielding one. It struck me that with AV 12, only one Daemon Machine might not last long. So, why not have more? 2 or 3 Defilers could create a huge psychological boon on the enemy, drawing fire away from my rhinos and raptors while running up to charge or blasting away with the Battle Cannon.

The only thing is, this would cost at least 450 points for 3, almost a third of a 1500 point army. Not only is it expensive, but they lack Tank hunting power, and would be replacing the Predator and Oblits in my list, leaving me with Meltaguns and a Daemon Prince to clean up armor. On the other hand, if the tanks could get into CC, they could wreck tracked vehicles, or shoot at Skimmers with the Battle Cannon. I know they're not fantastic options, but I think it would make for a really fun and interesting list.

I just wanted to know your guys' thoughts on the matter. Too risky? Just risky enough?

Thanks for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett on Quidditch
    I couldn't help but imagine some poor guy looking up to find a Badger hurtling towards him, about to wrap itself around his skull.
    [ 1500pt. Chaos List, C&C! ]
    -=W: 2 -D: 0- L: 3=-

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member The vampire Lestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need 3 Defilers all equipped with Battle Cannons and four close combat weapons, have fun with the cannons then make use of that nice new addition of fleet to the Defilers listing.
    Ord gets 2 dice and pick the highest against armour doesn't it? That's good enough tank hunting for me, besides if you REALLY have to you can lose a CCW and chuck some las-cannon's on the side of them.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

I've found that defilers works best in pairs. One often results in a bad scatter, whereas 3 usually requires to much of a point sink.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the process of painting up and converting my own defiler at the moment, will be fielding it along with 1 vindicator for 1500pts and two vindicators for 2000pts battles. 8X
    Who knows with this to distract all the enemy fire i might get a few shots off with my vindicators :party:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Bad things always come in threes , but 2 defilers should work well enough. I really like the alterations to the defiler in the current codex instead of being a poor substitue for a basilisk it has the feats and weapons to be a front line fire support and might even be be a real threat in CC.

Thought for the day: A Burning Heretic , Will brighten the Decor of any room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

67 (x3)

Thanks for the replies guys. I agree that 3 Defilers is a point sink in under 2000 points, but still think it might be fun to try it out. Anyways, I'll probably try out a more balanced list with 2 Defilers and let you guys know how it goes. Again, thanks for the input.
    I couldn't help but imagine some poor guy looking up to find a Badger hurtling towards him, about to wrap itself around his skull.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what are you guys using to convert the extra 2 CCW for the defiler? i'm having trouble coming up with stuff that fits off of the head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

67 (x3)

I was pondering this very question earlier. The Defiler box comes with an additional CCW (Some kind of whip thing), but for the second one, I don't have any solid ideas yet. I was thinking maybe a small arm coming off the side of the head with a large circular saw at the end, or something equivalently brutal. IIf you've seen the Brass Scorpion of Khorne conversion, you'll know what I'm thinking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a big fan of redundancy, so I'll agree with the above posts. I'd recommend 2 Defilers if you're going to take any at all.

A single Defiler is a big target, just like any other single big, mean, vehicle. All it takes is one lucky shot to but the kebosh on your plans. Having a second, however, means that it'll take more than one lucky shot to destroy your battle-cannon-firing, fleet-of-footing, close combat machines (it'll take 2 lucky shots! ).

A always take 2 Predators w/ the same configuration in my Chaos army, and they have served me more faithfully than a single Pred ever could...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

For the buzzsaw or other weapon ideas you could check out some Ork vehicle pieces, but for the most part, these are going to look crude - so it might take some converting to match the kind of evil-majesty of the defiler.
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast