Escalation Issues - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Escalation Issues

Hi all,

I'm a big fan of vehicles. I especially like the havoc launcher rhinos with daemonic possession right now. Got escalation last night, and it ended up (mostly because of that)being my first defeat with Chaos. Started with just two squads on the board and they were wiped out fairly quickly.

My question here is it better to go less or more? (running 2000 - 2500 points per game right now) Should I run more vehicles and leave nothing to be shot at first round of escalation, or run fewer vehicles and have more foot sloggin stuff on the board?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x3)

Good point to raise! It's made me look at my new lists again.

What else are you running, which leaves you with so few points on-board to start with?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vindicator, two defilers, terminators are in a dedicated land raider, two tac squads in rhinos, spawn, lord on steed, terminator lord, berserkers in rhino, etc.

The more templatey weapons available the better in my opinion so i was working on getting as many rhinos with havoc launchers in play as i could.

Plus i like painting the tanks up lol >shrugs<

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

It's just one of those things we have to contend with these days. In 3rd edition, most players used infiltrate, which has a chance of backfiring with the Alpha Rules set. Escalation is the big issue with having lots of vehicles, but these days we don't have many other options (if any). G.W. is moving towards a vehicle oriented 40K world, so hopefully in the next couple of years, everyone will be in the same boat.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

A further point is all the lists I have currentaly been running with start with nothing on the table in escalation. All my units are either jump troops, in a transport or a tank. I have been trying out the greater daemon a bit, but in an escalation game nothing starts on the table and there is a 50% chance of the greater daemon showing up on turn 2 with nothing for it to possess, and thus explode.

Is the greater daemon just not worth using in games with escalation, or should I toss down a chosen squad just in case. But if I did that wouldn't they just get blown off the board the rest of my army no where near?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may be wrong, but I beleive that is where the greater daemon would be the last thing I rolled for in reserves, so there are other things comeing in before it that it can possess possibly. But then again, this is only my second week with chaos so might be wrong there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

We can't buy Rhinos alone anymore can we? Anyway, is it required for the squad with a dedicated transport to begin play inside the transport?
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by hotspike18 View Post
    We can't buy Rhinos alone anymore can we? Anyway, is it required for the squad with a dedicated transport to begin play inside the transport?
    It isn't required that the squad is inside the Rhino, but they do have to deploy at the same time.
    Air Calv Guard: 3 - 2 - 1
    Word Bearers: 23 - 9 - 4
    (WDL)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Blackstone View Post
    I may be wrong, but I beleive that is where the greater daemon would be the last thing I rolled for in reserves, so there are other things comeing in before it that it can possess possibly. But then again, this is only my second week with chaos so might be wrong there.
    Doesn't work like that. You can only possess models that are already on the table. Reserves arrive effectively simultaneously.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Blackstone View Post
    This specifically isn't permitted, as outlined on page. 61 of the new chaos codex.

Hotspike: I don't believe one could ever purchase rhinos separately in 3rd edition. While rhinos were listed under the elite section, it was classified as a 'transport,' which (I believe) precludes it from being taken separately from an infantry unit.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast