Deathguard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deathguard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deathguard

Righto, I cant help but stay with my smelly stinky deathguard. However, this new codex is proving dofficult for my list building skills.

In the past I'd take a greater demon, 7 lessers, 4 squads of 7 marines (2 with plasma, 2 with melta and infiltrate), an infiltrating lord with speed and the manreaper, and 2 tooled up preds.

Now obviously sooo much has changed that the above list just isnt viable anymore (let alone possible). So i'm trying to figure out what to do.

Sticking with the demons... I just like their flexibility.

Sticking with the 4 squads of 7 (dont want to change the special numbers thing...).

Changed my preds to HB sponsons, Autocannon turret and havoc launcher (just seems to be much more worthwhile than the las setup).

Going to have to get a bunch of rhinos, cos my marines will get shredded walking up to the enemy.

The hardest thing is the HQ though. Now I know there are HQ threads already, but noone wants to even look at a DG one.

ATM I'm thinking sorceror with doombolt and just having him wander with a group of marines shooting away quite happily. The demon weapon doesnt appeal to me anymore as I personally think it used to be much better and the current one seems so nerfed in comparison. A prince I think would just get targeted faaar too much. What do others think?

“You know wot the chain o’ command is? It's the chain I go get and bash you wiv 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command round here.”

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

well if it were me i would give all of thoes marines squads rinos and for an hq i would go with a daemon prince with wings and i would run him up befind the rinos so he can't be shot at. it a really sinple way to keep him alive untill he gets into combat where he is safe from all the nasty shooting.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Try a Sorcerer with Jumppack and Nurgles Rot.

It is great at taking out hordes.

Or use Wind of Chaos as "Stream of Corruption"

I tend to not use a Lord for Nurgle but I have used the Greater Daemon a couple of times in the new rules and it is fantastic.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Undersecretary of Decay Radioactivejack's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Deamon Prince with MoN, warptime and wings for HQ is the way to go if you wanna keep your army pure Nurgle. He will draw fire on the first turn, but with eternal warrior he will stay fairly safe.
    -Keep the Las sponsons on the pred, but go back to the autocannon turret to minimize points cost. You are going to need some anti-tank fire with the setup you are running.
    -If you don't want to buy rhinos, you could always make the melta CSMs into Chosen and the Plasma CSMs into Plague marines. Chosen can still infiltrate and plague marines have FNP so they are the best footsloggers around.
    -Lesser demons in the new codex make great assualt troops, though with only thier high inv. save, they die quickly but can assualt the turn they come into play.
    -With the greater deamon, you definatly get your points worth in the new dex
    I have a defiler and a vindicator instead of preds, but Otherwise I have almost the exact same minis as you, and this is what I do. It works pretty well as long as you can get your DP into CC Asap
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    111 (x3)

Deathguard if far from gone and even if the new codex take away all their particularity, it gives them something more in the form of the Feel no Pain rule. This addition alone will help a lot toward the resilience of your Plague Marines and because of that, a pure Death Guard army is the only army I would not fear putting on foot. They now are the true foot sloggers of Chaos so your list is still viable.

Your army core is quite strong, you won't be able to infiltrate your Plague Marines like you used to, but still you can deploy them either on foot or in Rhinos. Either give them all a rhino, or none at all. Rhino rush is still a very valid tactic and it work rather well with 4 rhinos backed up by 2 Predators. Keeping the Daemons is a good idea, they are great in CC, in fact I believe they might be better than your Plague Bearers even if they look more generic.

You can also transform one or two of your squads into chosen with the mark of Nurgle so they can infiltrate, but they won't benefit from the Feel no Pain rule.

Unlike the majority I prefer to field a TL LC turret / HB sponsons Predator, he's perfect for the job of killing infantry and tanks alike and he can fire all its weapons when it moves 6". It also have its chances against like tanks and most walkers.

The tooled up infiltrating Lord with speed is a thing of the past now. It was good while it lasted but it's gone. Your other options are either a Daemon Prince, a Lord, a Sorcerer or a Greater Daemon. Now our Daemon Prince and Greater Daemons are so cheap that I advise taking at least 1 of them in a 2000 pts. Give the Daemon Prince Wind of Chaos, a Mark of Nurgle and Flight and let him loose. For the second HQ choice I always take a Sorceror. He come with a force weapon and very good stats and with Wind of Chaos he's very dangerous.

What you might want to add in the future is terminators. They are now cheaper and they come fully equipped. Also you can summon them near an Icon without them scattering so it's a nice plus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to be really different, load up a Nurglesque Possessed Land Raider with 4 Nurgle-Termies and a Sorcerer on a Palanquin as your HQ.

You are looking at a 4 Wound T5 Model with 5 Force Weapon attacks.

If you kit your Termies out with 3 combi-flamers and a heavy flamer and throw Nurgle's Rot on the Lord you can basically guarantee that anything in front of that Land Raider will be dead by the end of the turn.

It isn't cheap, but it is very different, very nurgle force.

If you don't want to shell out for Termies, up to 8 PMs will fit in that Raider with the Nurgle Sorceror.

+ Reply to Thread