Raptors, should I buy them? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

Raptors, should I buy them?

I have been playing a Chaos all-infantry/walker/bike army for 2 years now, but I've never got the tempt to get some Raptors to try them out. They are quite expensive and I don't like 'proxy' models (slapping loyalist jump pack onto CSM is proxy in my book too). What are you guys' experience with them? Are they good at whatever they do (be it tank hunt or straight out assault) or are they just some over-priced distraction dummies?

Anima Tactics - try it out!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Hello,

Forth edition raptors are a fine choice. In 3rd edition, they were too expensive for general inclusion, although, some people still used them well (Caluin, Karmoon, maybe yak). After all, they cost over 300 points for an 8 man squad, and the basic chaos marine squad cost around 200 points.

However, in 4th edition, the roles are somewhat reversed, though, not to the extremes as in 3rd edition. Since our 10 man marine squad with rhino costs around 250 points, we can now feasibly take 8 men raptor squad for roughly the same cost, if not a little cheaper. Plus, raptors tend to get into c.c. a round earlier than rhino trucking marines.

Melta guns are the bread and butter special weapon option for the obvious tank busting capability. The IoS & IoK are the two most popular and for good reason. Slaanesh works especially well against marine forces, and khorne for general use. I personally prefer khorne, because additional attacks are always nice to have around. Additionally, the IoK enables the raptors to receive a higher attack value when being charged (as rare as that happens).

Eight raptors is a good number; any more and they can sometimes have difficulty fitting behind cover. In larger games, 9-10 works well too.

For the a.c., I tend to give them lightning claws and bunk them up with a flying sorcerer. I run plenty of power fists among chosen and rhino marines, so the raptor champion is devoted more towards basic infantry killing. Coupled with a sorcerer, the raptor champion with claws can actually do quite well, even when the remainder of his unit is killed off.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Rabbit mentioned the pros and cons of the Raptors quite well. As for the models, the Raptor models look very nice. But while trying not to have a lot of squads that look alike, I was thinking of making a possessed Raptor squad with the new Possessed Chaos Space Marine sprues, and using the back packs with wings. Granted, you need at least three boxes to make 6 Raptors, but hey, it's all fun

- Loran

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Loran View Post
    Yeah, Rabbit mentioned the pros and cons of the Raptors quite well. As for the models, the Raptor models look very nice. But while trying not to have a lot of squads that look alike, I was thinking of making a possessed Raptor squad with the new Possessed Chaos Space Marine sprues, and using the back packs with wings. Granted, you need at least three boxes to make 6 Raptors, but hey, it's all fun

- Loran
    There's also ways to buy just bits from places. So you could just get the bodies, and then buy the wing bits to make them fly!
    Nurgle, the freshmaker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Hello,

Forth edition raptors are a fine choice. In 3rd edition, they were too expensive for general inclusion, although, some people still used them well (Caluin, Karmoon, maybe yak). After all, they cost over 300 points for an 8 man squad, and the basic chaos marine squad cost around 200 points.
    No way the newest raptors suck compared to the old ones. Now they are just a fast moving assault unit. Before they were much more than that and it was exciting timing your attacks to perfectly use daemonic visage and hit and run. I'm very disappointed with how the newest raptors perform.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by EcchuBlessu View Post
    No way the newest raptors suck compared to the old ones. Now they are just a fast moving assault unit. Before they were much more than that and it was exciting timing your attacks to perfectly use daemonic visage and hit and run. I'm very disappointed with how the newest raptors perform.
    I completely agree with you, EcchuBlessu. Third edition raptors could fill multiple roles, albeit they were expensive and fragile, which is why they never saw general use.

In forth edition, as you said, raptors have become fast moving troops, still fragile. But at the same time, with the price hike of a basic marine squad, coupled with the decrease in raptor cost, they are indeed much more feasible as a general squad. It's just 'change.' I wished our raptors had the option of upgrading to a 'hit and run' unit for 3 points a model. That would have preserved the option for using them, as ze_poodle has said, as a surgical unit.

At any rate, raptors are seeing much more play now, and this is a good thing to be sure :happy:.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by nekochen View Post
    They are quite expensive and I don't like 'proxy' models (slapping loyalist jump pack onto CSM is proxy in my book too)
    I've never had any bad comments or anything about my raptors.
    Everyone says how they look good.
    It's up to you to make them look Chaos.
    With a bit of imagination, they look far superior to the metal raptor models.

^__^

As for the table top.. raptors are amazing.

I love using them as counter attack units, or support attack units.

One lesson I learnt with nids is to always try to assault an enemy squad with more than one unit, and raptors naturally gravitate towards this because of their large sphere of operations.

I've even deepstruck them a couple of times (to great effect) - Kuffy really didn't like that :p

Brilliant troops really. I'd try and use them in every army list. Plus, cheap enough to use with a powerfist.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x1)

Yeah, I ordered 10 space marine backpacks for $15 and am picking up a CSM box of ten for $35 so $50 for ten raptors sounds like the best option for me. I'll just add some trophy racks and call it good.
    Generic Minis - My Blog

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Raptors have always been a good addition to a chaos force that can take them. Like bunny and Karmoon has stated, their role has changed since the new codex. Think: spikey assault marines(if you have experience with loyalists, and how they use them) and you'll do fine with them.

They're now standard fast moving infantry.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Short answer yes. Long answer hell yes I love them and field 10 of them every chance I get
    40,000- 7,000 Points Chaos Space Marines=18 and 17
    40,000- 2,500 Points Tau Empire=1 and 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast