Plague Marines or IoN? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plague Marines or IoN?

I have a question for those that have been playing with Nurgle armies. I have an Alpha Legion that I have about half complete. Obviously the tactics for this army, and my converted cultists, are no longer going to work. I may try to use my cultists as "count as" lesser demons. But that's not my question.

Since I used the AL symbol of the Hydra all over, with blue and green colors, I'm wanting to turn my legion into a "cult of hydra worship". For this I'm thinking the whole legion would be T5, to represent a gift bestowed on them by the beast.

But I'm just not sure what would work better, to do CSM with icons of Nurlge, or do actual plague marines for my troops. I have a couple of havoc squads and so they would obviously be carrying an IoN, along with any other non troops. I'm considering the fact that I need to put all my troops into rhinos just to get them anywhere to do anything useful. I have two models with meltaguns, and 2 with plasmagun, and my havocs. The rest are all bolter toting guys, and several powerfist/bolt pistol champions.

In addition, what can the Nurgle guys tell me about other choices using IoN? What would be a good choice for another unit? Termintors, chosen, bikers, raptors..?

Age is a state of mind, and since I have no mind, I don't age.
    Check out my painting blog at http://gmansminipainting.blogspot.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I'd say go with Plague Marines as your troop choice. Unless you wanted heavy weapons on them, which it doesn't sound like you have, PMs are just the better overall option.

Sure, they're a bit more expensive, but you can have squads of 6 or 7 instead of 10, and still have two special weapons on them. FNP is well worth it, too. One squad with the Meltas, and one with the Plasmas would actually be a decent setup. And make sure to have an AC with the fist on each of those.

As for other units to have with the IoN, I haven't really tried all the options at this point, but Termies with T5 rock. I can also recommend either an all shooty, or all melee chosen squad. T5 keeps them alive after infiltrating (combined with good use of cover), and they can be a nice support unit for all your guys showing up in Rhinos.

I really want to give bikes a shot, and I've heard the Nurgle Raptors are quite good, but my army is pretty slow at the moment, so I don't think I can support fast attack properly.

You can't go wrong getting a Nurgle Icon on just about anything. The only thing to consider is cost, as it tends to be the most costly of the icons. That needs to be weighed against how many troops you actually have in the squad, and if you can afford it in your overall army without sacrificing too much else.

IoT might not be a bad option for your theme on a couple units, too, and it can be a little cheaper. I'd consider that as well.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

The only problem you're going to have with plague marines is their general lack of basic bolter firepower, which really hurts against swarm armies.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Has a monkey! Imperialis_Dominatus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

They come with bolters. Do you mean like heavy ones?

EDIT: I'm stupid. They cost more so there'll be less of them. Goooooootcha.
    Last edited by Imperialis_Dominatus; November 19th, 2007 at 23:35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

True, but they're great for holding units in C.C. especially with their T and FNP. This allows you to A) have a P.fisting champ to splat your enemies allow you to have something like berzerkers charge into the fray the next turn.

No unit should be left alone. Always try to find some type of unit cohesion amongst all your units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x6)

I agree with Inlukasha here, though it is easy to fluffily explain that all of your guys have the same "gift" it is much better overall to have mixed troop types so that they can offer support to one another. Why not give a group of your men hydra heads and count them as berzerkers? or even model some with massive weaponry and count them as either 1k sons or noise marines? The possibilities are endless...
    IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT!

I survived LO Chat thanks to: Karmoon, Rabbit, Process, Tossy and Meish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm OK it sounds like PM are the better choice to go with over CSM with Icons.
    I do like where you guys are going with the mixed cult types. I'm picturing a zerker squad painted up bleached bone or something, representing the head and teeth of the Hydra.

Do PMs do better in a rhino to get closer and rapidfire, or to just sit and keep shooting?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    Hm OK it sounds like PM are the better choice to go with over CSM with Icons.
    I do like where you guys are going with the mixed cult types. I'm picturing a zerker squad painted up bleached bone or something, representing the head and teeth of the Hydra.

Do PMs do better in a rhino to get closer and rapidfire, or to just sit and keep shooting?
    I think PM are better generally than undivided marine with the IoN, but this doesn't extend to the IoS or IoK, which point for point are better IMO than PMs.

Rhinos are almost necessary upgrades for all troop marines, save for Tzeentch and Noise marines.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, if the smaller squads of Plague Marines work and hold their own, then maybe I'll do something like this.

6 plague marines with x2 meltaguns, plus champion with powerfist, in a rhino

6 plague marines with x2 plasmaguns, plus champion with powerfist, in a rhino

6 plague marines with x2 plasmaguns, plus champion with powerfist, in a rhino

9 berzerkers, plus champion with power weapon, in a rhino with extra armor

10 havocs, x4 autocannons, Icon of Nurgle

Defiler with two extra CC arms. (I have a cool conversion idea for this in mind)

And since I have a model painted up for this army with a lascannon, maybe I'll do a unit of chosen with a lascannon and 4 plasmaguns. Make sure I have enough models, 8-10, for ablative wounds.

Sound like a decent nurglish army that would work reasonably well with the new codex?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

G-man, as you and everyone else on this board probably know I am an Alpha Legion player - inducted by non other than Caluin and The Yak.

All troop armies still work in the new codex.

Make sure you have deep strikers and some raptors, and you'll be good.

Even against Mech Tau, I've not done badly at all.

You'll rarely find me go directly against Rabbit, but rhinos are NOT a requirment for troops in the latest Chaos codex.

Infact, with promised/rumoured changes in fifth edition 40K, all infantry armies will hopefully get even more powerful.

When playing with various armies, the only one that I sometimes receive complaints about for being 'broken or overpowered' is my all infantry CSM.

If I can do it. So can you.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast