help for compat patrol tournaments - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help for compat patrol tournaments

I know some people don't like helping others to create cheesey lists but i'm having real problems.

In the last codex there was plenty of choices for stupidly uber lists such as siren or daemonic speed lists.

now however we don't get that.

so far all I can think of is:

6 chosen: 3 plasmaguns
    7 plaguemarines: 2 plasmaguns, champ with powerfist

or:

5 man squad with champ with powerweapon in rhino

2 x 5 raptors w/ 2 plasmaguns

What I really need help is a lists that can not necessarily win but at least compete with those speeder lists or eldar warwalker armies out there. But still able to remember that not all armies are going to be full of cheap tanks. I realise that the chaos list won't be able to dish out as much cheese as some lists but I'd like to know how much cheddar can be squeezed out.

Which models aren't really an issue as I have a large collection but what models is what's bugging me.

Anyone find it funny that Cities of Death show the two worst combat armies in the game ... in combat!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

generally the nature of combat patrol is such that elite armies dont do well, they cant include uber elites eg 2+ saves or 3 wounds, or good AV, therfore they are suceptable to a good bout of fire

If you want a good Chaos combat patrol I would start with 2 small CSM squads with MLs in them, possible plasma instead of ML, then work from there, get as much bang for your buck as you can
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking though.

Pratically every combat patrol that is tournament worthy is heavy shooting e.g. eldar warwalkers with scatter lasers, SM with speeders, dark eldar with ravagers, necron jetbikes etc.

Question is: is it possible for us to slightly match this type of firepower?

I was perhaps thinking of 2 x 6 chosen w/ 3 plasmaguns and then a 5 man squad with plasmagun.

Of course 7 plasmaguns in 400pts is fairly scary but then there's the problem of horde armies and such... maybe make it more combat orientated?

2 x 5 chosen w/ 3 plasmaguns, 6 man squad with champ with power weapon and flamer
    Anyone find it funny that Cities of Death show the two worst combat armies in the game ... in combat!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I played a fair amount of border patrol a while ago and had a fair amound of success with it. Take a squad of plaguemarines with an aspiring champion with a pw and a plasma gunner or two in a rhino & combi melta, and a havoc squad with ml + hb. I havn't been specific because I'm lazy and you can fill in the gaps with personal preferences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I liked bikes. Most people are going to take a very, very shooty list because it has alot less finesse required to kill things. Superboosting bikes allow you to stay with in the rules and due to the small board size assosciated, let you get into the thick of it really, really fast.

More over, their bolters are far more mobile than your average foot slogger and can have a legit chance of firing a shot into the rear armour of that ravager/rhino/what not. While they are taking the brunt of the attention your marines can get into cover to deploy their cannons or missile launchers (I'd say cannons over ML in this case) without being split in two by ap2 fire.

If you wanted to get silly with it you could throw together 2 squads of 3 bikers with powerswords with a large host of marines with an autocannon. That cannon would be hard to weed out and could shell the harder targets (skimmers, bleh) while the bikers could quickly tie up and pound anything they can get their hands on. Lacking that, 6 bolter shots to AV10 is probably going to pop something vital. A neat trick, as I remember is to have your bikers charge a vehicle and position them near the ramps. When the vehicle is destroyed, since no units can dis-embark due to the blocked ramps, they are all killed by default. With melta bombs it can become a reality that none of the HQ choices on that rhino are leaving it in one piece.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so you're thinking o fmaybe a bike squd with mark of nurgle that turbo boosts first turn?

If I gave it some meltaguns (or maybe plasmaguns seeing as they can shoot and charge on bikes, hang on does get hot say use the armour save? because couldn't you then use) and some powerweapons it could probably tackle anything.

Then maybe a 10 man squad with autocannon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noone View Post
    so you're thinking o fmaybe a bike squd with mark of nurgle that turbo boosts first turn?

If I gave it some meltaguns (or maybe plasmaguns seeing as they can shoot and charge on bikes, hang on does get hot say use the armour save? because couldn't you then use) and some powerweapons it could probably tackle anything.

Then maybe a 10 man squad with autocannon.
    ...throw in a plasma, you might as well for the points you're paying for the overall squad.

Bikes sound good though, can't think of a tougher unit you could take under border patrol rules. Be aware you won't have many, so watch for conscripts and spinegaunts.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Bikes sound good, although I would pair it with a Rhino-equipped CSM squad for the mobile cover and faster movement rather than a heavy weapon CSM squad that'll get shot to pieces in the 2 turns to the bike charge. Still, there is little we can do to stop speeders from getting the drop on us.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

right so:

5 bikes w/ MoN and two meltaguns with champ with powerweapon - 260pts (bit expensive for my tastes)

troops:
    5 man squad w/ champ with powerweapon (or maybe plasmagun and combiplasma) with rhino w/ combiplasma

The reasoning for the combiplasma on the rhino is that the rhino because of its relative toughness compared to its importance will be largely ignored. So i'll use my combi plasma to take a tank out or some marines.

I'm now tempted to do:
    3 bikes w/ two meltaguns

7 plaguemarines w/ 1 plasma gun and fist champion. squad has rhino.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

I dont like the bikes concept, you are asking him to shoot them they are not going to make combat until turn 2, which means he has 1-2 turns to take them out, one of which may well be in rapid fire range, most armies will shoot them to shreds with negalgable loss, then turn on the rest of your army or just get out the way confident in the fact that they are well ahead on points
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast