Word Bearer Help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Word Bearer Help

Alright guys after a long time without 40K I've decided to get back into it. I've looked at Word Bearers for a long time even before the codex and that's where I think I'll start. I've got a few questions though.

I really like the idea of 30x Marines with a Rhino each, I also like the idea of pairing that with three Predators one Dakka Pred and two Lascannon Preds. Is this a viable option for 1500 or even at all with Word Bearers?

I also like demons, and I know Furies are awesome but I hate the models. What is the best Daemon count for having Bloodletters, Furies and Daemonettes, like how many of each?

Is a Sorcerer lord in Terminator armor a good idea at all?

I also really like Bikes, and I'd like to put a Chaos Lord on one, what is the best way to convert?

Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it.

Digamma Decimitio Duodecies-Death Destruction Doom

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

I think it's feasible to squeeze most of that into 1,500 points. You have to be miserly with your points though. Could look something like this -

Bike Lord - 165

Bike, Daemon Weapon, Icon

10 CSMs - 255
    AC w/ Power Fist, 2 Meltaguns, Icon of Glory, Rhino

10 CSMs - 255
    As Above

10 CSMs - 255
    As Above

Predator - 130
    Lascannon Sponsons

Predator - 130
    Lascannon Sponsons

Predator - 100
    Heavy Bolter Sponsons

8 Lesser Daemons - 104

8 Lesser Daemons - 104

Total - 1498

Hmmm. The Lord could probably use a small bike squad to support him. But that's basically what a 3 rhino, 3 predator Word Bearer list would look like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fluff wise, 30 marines, 3 rhinos, and 3 predators isn't very Word Bearer-ish. Word Bearers are the more fanatical worshippers of Chaos, and as such are more likely to receive Daemonic 'gifts'. In general, not including anything even remotely Demon related doesn't exactly make it a Word Bearers army. You're going to want at least some Daemons, and probably something Daemon related. With the new Codex, Daemon type really doesn't matter besides aesthetics, so take your pick of what you like most from that.

Terminator Sorcerers can be nice, but most people run Lash sorcerers, and those are mostly beneficial for Template Weapons / Close combat squads. Daemons or a Daemon Engine would be nice if you're going to run a sorcerer like that though.

I've always thought of bikes as somewhat silly, but that's just me. I've seen a lot of people shove Icons on bike squads and "Daemon Bomb". Rush in with a super boost on bikes, use the invulnerable saves to survive until second turn, and see how many of your horde come out of reserves. With the generic Daemons, that isn't as effective anymore (Most people loved to do it with Bloodletters or Daemonettes). Lords on a bike are cool, and the most Word Bearer-ish thing you could do with that is make a bike Chaplain. Nothing more amusing than a Lord on a Harley spouting praise to Chaos. About conversion, I have no idea. I scrapped my ideas of a Bike Chaplain when the new Codex came out.

If you want to run Word Bearers, think along more Daemon related lines. It doesn't have to be all Daemons, but you need some stuff like that. Mutated troops, a Daemon Pack or two, and possible other Daemonic things, like Defilers. Possessed work great too, because who better than a fanatic to offer his body to a Daemon of the Warp?

I hope this has helped. Basically just add some more Daemonic/Chaos God oriented things. Don't be afraid to go wild, really. The best part about an Undivided Legion is you don't have to stick to things from any one Ruinous Power.
    [Thousand Sons]
    [Tyranids - Unnamed Hive Fleet]
    [Tau Empire]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm all for the Possessed models but from what I understand their effectiveness is pretty bad? I do really like Defilers and have nothing against them, maybe even more than Predators.

As for elites I really like Terminators and Chosen, by squads of choice for both being- 4x Terminators with 4x Combiplasma-140pts. The chosen squad being 8x Chosen- 4x Plasma Icon of (Choice).

Is it viable to run both chosen and Terminators and Chosen in the same list for a 1500 point game?

The Daemon Prince is also probably my favorite miniature in 40K, does he fit well with a Word Bearer Theme? I like the Daemon Prince with Wings, and Warp Time or the Daemon Prince with MOS, Wings and Lash, but is this the same lash as lash of submission?
    I realize that a Dark Apostle may be more fluffy but Daemons are awesome.

Is it a good idea to put a Chaos Sorcerer in Terminator armor? I like the Sorcerer with lash in conjunction with the Defiler, but I'm afraid he will be erratad and he will be to no avail.

So are Word Bearers still for me?

Digamma Decimitio Duodecies-Death Destruction Doom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SaintScythus View Post
    I'm all for the Possessed models but from what I understand their effectiveness is pretty bad? I do really like Defilers and have nothing against them, maybe even more than Predators.
    I haven't had my Possessed long, and so they've yet to prove themselves. It mostly depends on the kind of luck you have with rolling their Daemonkin abilities. Rolling for Rending one time in a team game had them help take down the Nightbringer. (Which is no small task.)

I love my Defiler, even though its low front armor means it's very vulnerable to heavy weapon's fire. The removal of Indirect fire has hampered my strategic use of it, but a large blast that denies Space Marine saves and instant kills them is something to not be overlooked. It makes it a high priority target, but the damage it can sometimes manage before it's taken down is worth it. Playing in a list with very little armor (1 Defiler and 1 Predator), I've noticed firsthand the effects of "All or nothing" in terms of how much you take. You either need multiple threats on the board at once (Duplicates of the same tank, or a combination of other dangerous tanks/Rhino's to draw fire), or you don't take any. Singular tanks tend to attract heavy weapons fire, and are taken down before they have a chance to really do anything.

As for elites I really like Terminators and Chosen, by squads of choice for both being- 4x Terminators with 4x Combiplasma-140pts. The chosen squad being 8x Chosen- 4x Plasma Icon of (Choice).

Is it viable to run both chosen and Terminators and Chosen in the same list for a 1500 point game?
    I personally just run a 5 squad of Terminators with dual lightning claws, but that's because my army is fairly CC oriented. As such, I've never really looked at Chosen, who tend to excel at shoving loads of firepower down the enemies throat. Plasma always helps though, although the singular use of Combi-weapons has always kind of turned me off from them, unless you have the perfect chance to use them. Chosen and Terminators are a great choice though, especially if they help balance out your army.

Having both in 1500 points though, I'm not so sure of. It depends what you're spending your points on really. If you can manage to keep your list decent with both in, go right ahead really.

The Daemon Prince is also probably my favorite miniature in 40K, does he fit well with a Word Bearer Theme? I like the Daemon Prince with Wings, and Warp Time or the Daemon Prince with MOS, Wings and Lash, but is this the same lash as lash of submission?
    I realize that a Dark Apostle may be more fluffy but Daemons are awesome.
    Daemons Princes fit very well into the Word Bearers theme. Nothing shows fanatical devotion to Chaos like ascension to Daemonhood. Even before the new Codex, a tooled up Prince could wreak some havoc. With Warptime, the Prince has even more chances to do his dirty work. If you get a Wings/Warptime prince into CC, and with some lucky rolls, every one of his attacks could wound and kill. I personally run Wings/Warptime/MoT/Winds of Chaos, because the increase in the invulnerable save and a decent re-roll to wound pre-charge template attack appeal to me. Lash Prince would probably work as well, just remember that without Warptime, he's not going to hit/wound as often. But the fact that you can pull any squad closer to prepare for combat is always a plus.

Is it a good idea to put a Chaos Sorcerer in Terminator armor? I like the Sorcerer with lash in conjunction with the Defiler, but I'm afraid he will be erratad and he will be to no avail.
    I personally run a Lash Terminator Sorcerer instead of a Lash Prince, more to draw enemies into my Lightning Claw termies. Lash is great with a Defiler though, if you can manage to keep the Defiler alive that is. Nothing better than getting to move an opponents squad, and bunching them up for a pie-plate of death. At the moment, the Lash Sorcerer is definitely worth it, and even if they errata the Lash, the model looks too good to pass up. There's certainly more ways to run a Terminator Sorcerer than as a Lasher, that's for sure.

So are Word Bearers still for me?
    If you enjoy an army based mostly around Fanaticism, Daemons, and the strength of Chaos Undivided, then I'd have to say yes. You like a decent amount of things that give a Word Bearers army its sense of fluff, but the final decision is up to you. If you want to play Word Bearers after this little bit of (Hopefully) helpful advice, then by all means do. Nothing compares to playing an army you enjoy.8Y
    [Thousand Sons]
    [Tyranids - Unnamed Hive Fleet]
    [Tau Empire]

+ Reply to Thread