Chaos Legion idea... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Chaos Legion idea...

Hello, Chaos players...

I've got an idea for a Chaos army, but I think I've got a lot of potential problems both fluff-wise and model-wise. Here goes:

First, the fluff. The army is aligned to Tzeentch, under a Sorcerer Lord who used to be a pupil of Ahriman himself. Over time, he studied the Rubric of Ahriman and eventually learned to cast a lesser version of it himself. Then, he broke away from the Thousand Sons and started amassing his own legion of Rubric marines. Every ember of his legion, aside from himself, is nothing but a spirit bound to his armor. He "recruits" new members from loyal Chapters and traitor Legions alike, so he's pretty much universally hated.

It's not so bad, but I expect some people will have problems with it.

Then, the models. The marines in this army would look like a "who's who" of the Chapters and Traitors; each one would be painted like a different Marine. The only thing they'd have similar is glowing runes on top of their armor - the Rubric Signs that keep them bound and animated.

The problem I see with this is that the whole army may look too ecclectic, and defining squads may be nearly impossible.

The army build would be largely infantry, and everything would carry an Icon of Tzeentch to represent the Rubric Sign. I don't want to use actual Thousand Sons, because I want to stick to the story that their Lord is the only actual living member of the Legion. I also plan to avoid any daemonic Chaos units, like Possessed, Spawn, and Obliterators, as well as Dreadnoughts. Tanks and Bikers could be captured (vehicles all being Possessed), Assault Marines can count as Raptors, and Devastators can count as Havocs.

Any suggestions?

I build, I convert, I sometimes paint, and once in a while, if I'm really lucky, I might even play.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the fluff, that seems pretty cool to me! If anyone whines about it, beat them with something.

Anyway, onto the paint problem.

You could paint all of a squad's shoulderpads (only one, so as not to obscure the original chapter badges) a unifying colour. This could also be done with helmets or something. You could go the otherway and just leave the shoulderpads original and everything else your own scheme.

Strongly consider the basing too, bases can really make it obvious that things are from the same side. Perhaps they could all stand on a different chaotic rune depending on their squad? something like that could be pretty cool.

Take a good look at eldar stuff, they've got all those colours for different aspects but manage to look uniform still.

You could also attempt to blend whatever colour it is you're using for each marine with something else so they look like they're rusting and ancient etc. Imagine an ultramarine, an imperial fist, a bloodangel etc, all rusting away. That'd look pretty good methinks.

How are you planning on doing that glowing rune thing? I've had quite a lot of luck cutting up necron-rod sprues to get glowy-crystals to stick to daemonic type stuff. One of those embedded into everyone's chestplate would look pretty awesome.

Hope there's a semi-good idea in there!
    If I've replied, i've probably used Italics...

www.goodbyeboltgun.blogspot.com - Some of my stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Funny you should ask, about the runes...
    http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...s/tzeentch.htm

This is a little something GW has on their own site for adding details to Chaos Marines. Second one down is my main inspiration. I imagined the runes pretty much as pictured, over at least a shoulder pad, and then maybe a few others elsewhere. One on the forehead will be a must for every model.

I was also thinking of taking the "disembodied spirit" thing a little farther by modelling some of the Marines with obviously lethal wounds (bolter holes in a chestplate or helmet), or missing parts of their armor (a hand here, a kneecap there) just to show that the armor is empty. By contrast, my Lord would be the only model without his helmet on, emphasizing the fact that he's the only living member of his Legion.

I've considered the base thing already, and I feel it's one of the best ideas to go with. The thing is, I also noticed that I've got the opportunity to make the force of models extremely flexible. Special weapons could be mixed, matched, and rearranged to suit any army list, and I don't have to worry about squad markings. So, maybe I can come up with some sort of interchangeable base to identify who's in which squad for this particular game.

The other fun thing I can do is to take photos of an opponent's Space Marine or Chaos Marine and then add one to my own Legion...

Thanks for the feedback!
    I build, I convert, I sometimes paint, and once in a while, if I'm really lucky, I might even play.

+ Reply to Thread