How useful are demonic mounts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How useful are demonic mounts

In trying to find out as much as I can about chaos before I start buying the models I've been reading through several army lists and other various forum posts, and one thing struck me recently. I don't see a lot of mention of the demonic mounts for either the lord or the sorcerer. They all seem pretty cool based on the codex, making said lord or sorcerer faster and giving them more attacks or some other bonus. The ones that strike me as being the most useful would be a sorcerer with mark of slaanesh and warptime on a mount for a very viscious attacker/character killer, and a lord with a mark of khorne for shear number of attacks.

But then again, I don't have any actual experience with playing chaos armies just yet, so I wanted to hear what the people here thought about demon mounts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The general consensus is that only Steed of Slaneesh and Disc of Tzeentch are worth taking.

Both of those give +1 Attack and give you a movement modifier, either making you Calvary or JumpTrooper.

The other two mounts DO NOT modify they way you move. They also prevent you from getting into a Rhino, taking Wings, or taking Terminator armor the Deep Strike, thus forcing you footslog (or climb in a LandRaider for Panalquin of Nurgle ).

Personally, I run a Sorceror on a Disc and it works for me. I was going to be paying 20 points for Wings anyway, and 10 pts for an extra force weapon attack is a bargain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with inferno he beat me to it the slaanesh and tzeentch mount are the to most usefull although a lord of nurgle on a mount in a landraider would be scary there are better ways to get to where you have to go.
    I myself love the slaanesh mount the +1 attack with a 12"charge and a blissgiver is a force to be reconed with.
    With the Disk of tzeentch its relly a toss up between it and a jet pack only differance being 10 points and an attack which is only usefull if you plan to get into cc with him.
    Alot of it comes down to how you plan to use your HQ, how your army plays and wether your HQ will have some kind of retinue following it.
    Have a look at some of the tatic theads and see what kind of HQ would fit your style of play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies. I'm at work now and had forgotten that the Khorne and Nurgle mounts don't help with movement, making them much less desirable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think their crap except for a lord with lightning claws.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When is +1 attack and a movement bonus crap?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I would say that the Tzeentch mount is the best because for a Lord or Sorcerer to have a better invulnerable save is better than the initiative bonus for Slannesh, that way he is less likely to be insta-killed. However, with that being said, the cavalry movement modifier is far superior to jump infantry because of Fleet.

Again, it depends on your playing style, but for me the only one that has worked consistently is the Tzeentch sorcerer on a Disc. Give him Doombolt and Warptime and watch him tear apart 10 man squads of anything.

If you end up being interested in this configuration for a Lord or Sorcerer Lord, send me a PM and I'll send you some pics of one that I just finished that I will probably end up selling.

resident iconoclast Left of West's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x3)

Not much more to say, really. The Khorne and Nurgle ones are iffy. The Tzeentch and Slaanesh ones are actually pretty good.

You should be paying at least 20 points for flight on every HQ which isn't going to be in Terminator Armour. Another 10 points for an extra attack is clearly a good buy.

The Slaanesh mount is a little...different, since it moves as cavalry. It's just worse than the Tzeentch disk except for its ability to fleet. It's better on Lords than the disk, since they're not shooting anyway, and it's worse on Sorcerers than the disk because Sorcerers shoot fairly frequently.

Both are still definitely worthwhile, though.

The other 'mount' that's worth considering, of course, is the Bike. It gives you an extra toughness instead of an extra attack (which is basically not as good) but its movement mode is probably the best (turbo-boost for the win).
    Once again, the conservative, sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor!

Undersecretary of Decay Radioactivejack's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was kinda miffed that the Juggernaut is such a cool looking model, but has crap rules! Does GW do this on purpoes? And then they choose to revive the good old Planquain and then they give it crap rules, too! Seriously, I was majorly disappointed. The two lamest looking mounts are the ones with the good rules. Whatever.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams

resident iconoclast Left of West's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x3)

Really? I like the disk models a lot.

The boobsnake...eh, not so much. But the disk is great!

Anyway, I agree. The other two should have been given some movement rules. Even just plain old Fleet would be enough to make them good.

Actually, though, Fleet might make them, along with their stat boosts, a little too good in comparison to the disk and the...whatever it is.

That's probably the problem they ran into. It's difficult to give them the stat boosts they did and movement rules and have them end up not better than the disk and the steed.

Ultimately, I think they still goofed. They probably should, at least, have made those two mounts refrain from affecting how the Lord interacts with transports.
    Once again, the conservative, sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast