Chaos in 5th Ed. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Chaos in 5th Ed.

I've been thinking - a lot of things in the new chaos codex seem to go with rumors about 5th edition.

Firstly, as Koss pointed out in the Daemonic Mounts thread - the 2 mounts w/o movement upgrades will benefit greatly from the rumored "Forced March" rule.

This rule makes a bit of sense in light of the cheap chaos rhinos - after all, Rhinos will be even less useful than before (although not completely useless).

It also seems like footslogging possessed and greater daemons will be a bit more useful because of this. Though everything is still rumors, I generally don't pay much attention to rumors...

Overall, I am liking the way the rumors sound. Would be nice if GW would actually finish something before they start something new.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

I'm extremely worried about Chaos in 5th Ed.

The biggest factor being the second and final nerf for powerfists.

Basically, we are not to get attacks for having two CC weapons in close combat.

So each asp champion now pays an extortionate price for a fist for just his basic number of attacks.

Even with the IoK, this really isn't worth it. Especially considering we used to get double the amount of attacks for less than half of the price.

Secondly, as far as I can ascertain, all blast template weapons (plasma cannons/Missile launchers) are resolved at BS2 (more or less) as you use the scatter dice instead of your BS.

This puts obliterators at a terrible disadvantage against crowds from a distance, and even with only 1D6 scatter, missile havocs aren't going to be good against things because they'll suddenly shoot like orks when using their frag missiles.

This is a huge waste of our elite BS. Especially as oblits (who will be shuffling and shooting) will have to roll 2D6 and choose the highest for scatter.

The march rule seems nice.. however, all we'll do is march into the jaws of forces superior in CC - orks and nids in particular.

Possessed and chosen are capable of some interesting tricks if mounted in rhinos using the special 'flank' attack rule. Could be nasty when combined with deepstriking (the new deepstrike rules barely affect us considering our icons).

Plasma is that much safer to use now.. which is good, although the flip side is that we can expect more enemies to take it too.

Perhaps the biggest plus for us is the change to poisoned weapons.

Basically, instead of having a Lord who injures IG on 4+ and then doesn't count it as a power weapon.. he now will strike marines and IG with his proper strength AND get to re roll wounds, and from what I can gather, still retain the power weapon effects.

So, nurgle lords on bikes with a daemon weapon looks like the way forward.

So.. in conclusion, the price hike to fists comboed with 5th Ed.. really puts fists off the menu. If we could get dual fists, I'd still be happy, but that's not even on our menu.

That's just my initial reaction anyway. Remember people.. this is still based on material which isn't necessarily final.. so it may change.

Not good overall. A dark day for chaos perhaps?

heh.. not likely. Daemon legions should be absolutely amazing ^_^
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of the rules sound good some bad we may get hurt a bit but hey whats chaos without alil pain well just laugh and adapt.....i hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

I have to agree, it's a stupid idea, hopefully it's an early draft and GW didn't go with it, sofar there's retarded ideas in it you won't believe.
    I mena who the hell has the option in their codex for dual PF or such, only that freaking marneus calgar no other normal model can do it's it's a stupid idea from GW.
    Luckily our obliterators have SaP so they only roll 1D6 but I agree that it makes no sense of whatever that we now have to use BS, at leats my krak missile will still hit on 3's.
    Biggest beef I have is with this whole bonanza on defensieve weapons beeing Str4, what the hell are GW smoking if they go with this stupid rule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from where do you get those rumors? argh, panic!

Let the galaxy burn!
    W/D/L since January 08:
    2/0/0

>>And on the eighth day God said: "Okay Murphy, you´re in charge.".<<

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Hadn't heard about the Powerfist one yet. If that's true, it makes me even happier that I pulled my Champions out of my Troops choices. Still sucks for my Chosen, however.

I disagree on the Rhinos. I think they're going to be even more useful than before with the change to the damage chart. Essentially, you can no longer score a Vehicle Destroyed result on a glancing hit. You'd have to go through however many Immobilized and Weapon Destroyed results as it takes to simulate the destroyed result. That means smoke launchers (which all Rhinos come with standard) gives you a near unkillable tank for one round.

I have heard rumour that Independent Characters can no longer hide outside of groups. Scuttlebutt says that GW is removing the rule that prevents you from firing upon them if there is a unit screening them. The way I see it, this means Lords and Sorcerers are going to be spending far more time inside of units than before, to help keep them safe.

I also believe this means less people will be taking Winged Sorcerers with the Lash of Submission. With the loss of IC protection, they'll be inside of a unit. Since it counts as a shooting attack, whichever unit the Sorcerer Lashes will also be the target of the unit he's in. This isn't necessarily a horrible thing (there's still some extreme synergy with Noise Marines), but is probably enough to turn a number of players off to the idea of hidden Lashes.

Of course, there's still nothing preventing them from taking Daemon Princes w/ the Lash. After all, that's the route I'm headed already.

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-170 (x0)

I disagree on the Rhinos. I think they're going to be even more useful than before with the change to the damage chart. Essentially, you can no longer score a Vehicle Destroyed result on a glancing hit. You'd have to go through however many Immobilized and Weapon Destroyed results as it takes to simulate the destroyed result. That means smoke launchers (which all Rhinos come with standard) gives you a near unkillable tank for one round.
    it's not the damage chart that's going to do the damage so to speak, it's the fact that entanglement is gone. Alas, the rather lame days of rhino rushing are back.

Also, hull down is now a proper cover save, just like infantry. It doesn't change penetration types. Smoke is the equivilant protection to the vehicle as trees are to infantry.

As for ICs, as far as I can see it appears they need to hide within units to stay safe. Of course friendly and enemy troops block LOS, so it's not all bad there.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

I've figured it out. You know how everyone was annoyed that 4th ed was really more version 3.5?

Warhammer 40,000 5th Edition: Actually Just 2.5.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-170 (x0)

I didn't think it was possible to sum up the problem in one catchy soundbite, but I think you've whacked it good.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

I gotta say... over all, I'm sorely disappointed.

Predators will be nigh unusable now. Unless you're willing to just never move the things.

Rhinos are more subject to being blown up, but at least you don't take entanglement tests anymore. I'm mixed about that.

Powerfists bug me. I understand they're trying to make players think of using alternate weapons, but nerfing them was a bad idea. Black Templars and Space Wolves are pretty much screwed now.

The modifiers to combats bug me, as well. It's now all about smashing your opponent's units as quickly as possible, breaking them as fast as possible. Inflict just a few extra wounds over your opponent, and suddenly they're taking a morale test on Leadership 6. Or worse.

But... over all, what irritates me the most? That only Troops count as scoring units. How can you honestly tell me that my Chaos Marines can secure a location, but because this particular unit over here Infiltrates, they're incapable of it? Or because they wear Terminator Armour? Ludicrous.

It'd have made so much more sense if they just said Infantry only.

Some changes are good, though. Poisoned Weapons? Nurgle Daemon Weapon might just become the best of them. From bottom of the pit to the top of the pile, with just a quick little amendment.

I'm going to have to rethink my Obliterators now too. That bugs me. A lot. I will still be using them, probably, but I'm saddened that Plasma Cannons scatter. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast