Chaos armies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chaos armies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chaos armies

I just got the new Chaos codex (I know its been out for awhile) and wanted to start a new army. But when I was reading it, I noticed that there are no more different armies available to us. It seems that all you can have is a generic army that everyone can have. What is the difference between an Iron Warriors army and a Word Bearers? Really it is just a paint scheme. True you can tailor them, but it allows the other armies the same possibilities. (ex.) Iron warriors use a lot of oblits but then Word Bearers would be able to also. Or Night Lords with lots of Raptors, but then Alpha Legion would be able also be able to. How come it seems that the loyalist armies get different codex's (dark angels, blood angels in white dwarf, black templars) for their armies but chaos only gets one? Fluff wise the emporer made the primarch's different and their legions all different. Now after 10,000 years the loyalists have some of their differences allowed but Chaos decides "hey lets all be the same." True, tailor the army the way you want, but it should be that way also for the loyalists. I would like fluff back with different legions with their "special" allowances. Any one else feel that way?

I shall call him Squishy, and he shall be mine, and he shall be my Squishy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!! aeroplane's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    569 (x7)

Your complaints have been echoed all over this list many times before. We feel your pain!!

In the new Codex we give up the cult armies.

But -

We get the best basic infanrtyman in the game.
    -UltraGrit is awesome (not a GW term - search this forum for more info)
    - they get cheap transports

In general, most things got cheaper. (there are exceptions, but you get the idea...)

We can take the cult troops as troops, always...
    -The cult troops are great!!! Imagine a 10-man squad of I5 marines with assault 2 weapons! There are other exampels, but the cult troops are all neat.

Raptors can be in 20-man squads. (evil laugh)

The HQ options, although more limited than the previous codex, are very strong.
    -the winged Daemon Prince is incredible.
    -the chaos psychic powers are very useful in-game.

Daemons, although the seem like they got nerfed, are actually a great choice, because the rules for summoning got MUCH better. (and they take no slot on the FOC)
    -the greater daemon is awesome for his points cost.

Terminators got WAY cheaper - they rock.

Oblits are still a great choice.

I agree, that from a fluff standpoint, the new codex is disappointing. But, when it's all said and done, the army you can make from the new codex is really quite wonderful. It's also just as capable of totally cheezing out -- you can take 5 landraiders in 1850, if you are so inclined...

Don't be so forlorn... It's not as bad as you think. Give it a whirl and se what you think!

My insanely large Chaos Marine Army - look

Thier commander's motto-listen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like most liked the individual books of chaos and its kind of stink that they are gone but we can adapt. You can still have the same armys as before they just wont have all the rules and wargear that they did, you just need to let your creative mind wonder away from the generic first impression the new codex gives.

Has a monkey! Imperialis_Dominatus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vercingetorix View Post
    I just got the new Chaos codex (I know its been out for awhile) and wanted to start a new army.
    Awesome choice.

But when I was reading it, I noticed that there are no more different armies available to us. It seems that all you can have is a generic army that everyone can have. What is the difference between an Iron Warriors army and a Word Bearers? Really it is just a paint scheme. True you can tailor them, but it allows the other armies the same possibilities. (ex.) Iron warriors use a lot of oblits but then Word Bearers would be able to also. Or Night Lords with lots of Raptors, but then Alpha Legion would be able also be able to.
    True... but in the end, it's your army, not everyone else's. Who cares what the X legion player down the block can do? It doesn't matter if he can, the point is that you are doing it. I mean, if you do it for the theme and he does it to be a competetive player... well, that shows that the two of you have different approaches, and not much else. If you want to play your Legion's style because it suits you and you like the background, more power to you. If you want to do it to be special and different... well, there's always trait marines.

How come it seems that the loyalist armies get different codex's (dark angels, blood angels in white dwarf, black templars) for their armies but chaos only gets one? Fluff wise the emporer made the primarch's different and their legions all different. Now after 10,000 years the loyalists have some of their differences allowed but Chaos decides "hey lets all be the same."
    They get those things because they are GW's favorites and the vast majority of players have or have had some sort of Marine army. That logic gets kind of circular if you follow it, but it's unfortunately the way it is. Personally, I have hopes for Legion Codices in the future, but I also am practical enough to know that the upcoming Codex: Daemons and perhaps *crosses fingers* a new Lost and the Damned Codex is all that will happen.

True, tailor the army the way you want, but it should be that way also for the loyalists. I would like fluff back with different legions with their "special" allowances. Any one else feel that way?
    The fluff still exists. I guess the only real solution is to read up on the fluff and tailor your army to it. I know you know that is an option, I'm just reiterating. There's a raging "teh Choas dex sux!" thread on Warseer, and I may just be burnt out on the whole topic.

Thing is, 3rd edition had all that kind of variety- but it was nigh on impossible to balance. While balance isn't an important factor to someone like me who is just a fluff-nut, parts of the hobby are getting more... competetive, and while the game is frankly impossible to balance, it's probably expected for GW to try, you know? And the latest slew of Codices is the result. It isn't perfect, but it's what happened.

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by aeroplane View Post
    -if you have the points, you could conceivably take a monstrous creature for every troop and elite slot that you have... (evil cackle)
    If you could please explain how this is possible. As far as I am aware the greater daemon is a 0-1 choice and you only have 2 HQ slots.

Dan

Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!! aeroplane's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

569 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by danjones87 View Post
    If you could please explain how this is possible. As far as I am aware the greater daemon is a 0-1 choice and you only have 2 HQ slots.
    It's possible if you don't notice the 0-1 next to the greater daemon entry in the codex...

Sorry. My mistake.

My insanely large Chaos Marine Army - look

Thier commander's motto-listen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

All the same, 3 monstrous creatures for HQ isn't bad at all.

Greater daemons have incredible stats for their cost of 115 (cheapest)
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1329 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by aeroplane View Post
    It's possible if you don't notice the 0-1 next to the greater daemon entry in the codex...

Sorry. My mistake. .
    LMAO! Dont worry about it! The Greater Daemon is an absolute monster for its points cost. Its a shame it aint that little bit strong (inst MEQ death dealing) if it was that strong id inculde 1 for each troop choice too and ignore the 0-1!

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    All the same, 3 monstrous creatures for HQ isn't bad at all.

Greater daemons have incredible stats for their cost of 115 (cheapest)
    So true, so true. To addon and as said already, got the best infantry models in game plus have greater daemons like Kar said.
    Which also brings up another point with the regular chaos squad with true grit at no cost gives you big advantage considering SM have to take a trait for it and you are pretty much better than an ork at close combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit
    Geez, toon, your avatar changes more than Bill Clinton's campaign platform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Toon View Post
    Which also brings up another point with the regular chaos squad with true grit at no cost gives you big advantage considering SM have to take a trait for it and you are pretty much better than an ork at close combat.
    We pay a cost for our Uber-grit - we don't have ATSKNF. That's a pretty big deal. Sure, we have Icons we can take, but that's pushing the cost of our models above a Space Marine. Not to mention that only one Icon helps with morale tests; the rest leave us still susceptible to pinning and morale tests.

And really, I'd expect a Chaos Marine to be better than an Ork. After all, we're 250% of the cost of an Ork. The real question you should ask yourself is this - "Is a Chaos Marine as good as 2.5 Orks on the battlefield?"

Of course, that doesn't take everything into account, since points costs are also balanced based on the rest of the Codex.

Chaos Marines are good; I'll grant you that. But they're not over powered like it seems you're insinuating.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast