7 terminators or 10 csm in a rhino. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7 terminators or 10 csm in a rhino.

So these two squads cost the same (260), both are pretty effective.

7 terminators 3 with melta 3 with plasma and a champion with powerfist vs:
    10 csm in rhino with no mark 2 melta guns and a champion with powerfist.

They are both capable of taking objectives via some form of transportation, can both kill tanks etc. Personally I think that for the points you can't beat the terminators. But there may be an arguement against that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    111 (x3)

They both serve a different purpose.

The Terminators would most probably win the encounter because of their armour save except if the Chaos Space Marines got first turn and the charge, then the Terminators would be in trouble. It would eventually come down to a good or a bad dice roll.

The argument I could use to say the Terminators might not be better is the fact that if they deep strike they come in play between turn 3 and turn 6 and they lose the turn where they appear stuck to the ground while during that time your Chaos Space Marine Squad can run around and kill stuff.

If you start first turn with your Terminators deployed you will lose their mean of transportation, so suddenly the Chaos Space Marine squad become more mobile, therefore more desirable.

So I would not personnaly choose between one or the other, I would say that they complete each other rather well, especially if you think about the ability of a Chaos Space Marine squad to summon a Terminator squad through an Icon.

An army with an HQ of any sort, 2 Chaos Space Marine squads in rhinos and a Terminator Squad would be a great start for a 1000 pts army.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I prefer the CSMs. You get a Rhino with which to control LOS, extra bodies, they're on the table Turn 1, you aren't messed up when the game is Alpha rules, you aren't betting a 260pt unit on having a teleport homer in the right place at the right time and you can use the meltas repeatedly. The Terminators may be better on the firing line but that's not the full measure of a unit's effectiveness.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you think about 3 squads with 3 meltas each and no powerfists or anything. More chance of getting something turn two, more choices of bouncing them around the table top etc. I might give this a shot myself.

Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!! aeroplane's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    569 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by washout View Post
    What do you think about 3 squads with 3 meltas each and no powerfists or anything.
    Yep. That's the magic combo. 3 combi-meltas or combi-plasmas (don't mix, do one or the other) and if you want, 1 more terminator with the heavy flamer and chainfist.

I run 2 squads of termies - both identical;

3 Chaos Terminators with combi-plasmas and powerweapons,
    1 Chaos Terminator with Heavy Flamer and Chainfist.

Try it -- the squad works frighteningly well!!
    My insanely large Chaos Marine Army - look

Thier commander's motto-listen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    I prefer the CSMs. You get a Rhino with which to control LOS, extra bodies, they're on the table Turn 1, you aren't messed up when the game is Alpha rules, you aren't betting a 260pt unit on having a teleport homer in the right place at the right time and you can use the meltas repeatedly. The Terminators may be better on the firing line but that's not the full measure of a unit's effectiveness.
    Why messed up when using Alpha rules? Chaos Terminators can ALWAYS Deep Strike.
    Chaos Dex, page 86, Terminator Armour.

But I totally agree with you, the Rhino does wonders sometimes and extra bodies go
    very far.
    ------------------------------------
    Innovation suffuses this hobby like a tea bag in the boiling water of play.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Whoops, did they change that? I hadn't noticed. Good catch!
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is awesome to know Kantoken, I am for sure going to try and trade for 10 of the new plastic terminators on bartertown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by washout View Post
    That is awesome to know Kantoken, I am for sure going to try and trade for 10 of the new plastic terminators on bartertown.
    Good luck! Whatever you are going to get, it's bound to be something good.
    ------------------------------------
    Innovation suffuses this hobby like a tea bag in the boiling water of play.

+ Reply to Thread