Deep Striking Obliterators - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deep Striking Obliterators

I really think that deep strike on our obliterators is useless.
    Does anyone ever do this in a game?
    Can anyone show any reason why to deep strike an obliterator?
    I just think that wasting any of their turns not shooting is not effecient.
    Just curious.

"When Blood Speaks, Shadows Answer."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was playing a Tau player, and of course he kept jumping back behind cover so I couldnt shoot him. So I deepstruck obliterators on his flank so they could begin popping suits. Perhaps I am wrong, but I think slow and purposeful helps them with this respect because they always count as being stationary.

Please capitalize 'I.' Thank you. ~Rabbit
    Last edited by Rabbit; March 26th, 2008 at 22:15. Reason: typo there, ment to say obliterators

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You deep struck terminators or obliterators?
    "When Blood Speaks, Shadows Answer."

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by SilentNinja View Post
    You deep struck terminators or obliterators?
    You can d.s. both termis and oblits. Probably 90% of the time, I footslog them, and for the reason you listed above. However, the scenario outlined by dwalker is one of those instances when you might consider deep striking them. Also, armies that have multiple oblit units often reserve one for d.s., since it provides versatility and presents a psychological counter on your opponent. Any time you have models off the board, waiting to arrive, your opponent must nebulously try and compensate, which isn't easy. After all, when I fight against termis or other deep strikers, I must really protect the fragile backside of my tanks, or hold back some of my c.c. units in order to protect havocs. Same goes for wolf scouts and oblits.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

Sometimes it's quite nice to have them pop out where they are needed most. Plus, when in close range they can be even more effective with their Multi-Meltas and Twin Linked Meltaguns. I do about half and half. Experienced players will target them fast anyway. If I have other sources of heavy support like Havocs that can hold things down, I'll use DS'ing. Either way, you usually get good results.
    "If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

I think, although I don't use obliterators, that the main reason to deep strike obliterators is to take out a specific vehicle. If your opponent has one key vehicle, say that big Leman Russ, that's going to cause you a lot of problems, deep striking them to take it down with meltas to the rear armor is a good option. But you'd have to wait for turn 2+ to do it.

I think this can potentially go for taking out key infantry squads as well - maybe a devastator squad dug deep into cover, although a combi-plasma toting terminator squad is much better for that.

For general killing, it's probably best to get the obliterators on the table for turn one - thus maximizing the number of shots they can make (assuming they don't die).

I think a more pertinent question would be "Does anybody deepstrike Raptors?"

Ang
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

In 90% of missions i can see no reason to deep strike oblits. Including games where you want to take out that fast moving/hard to kill vehicle, having the oblits on the table is almost always better. Deploying oblits out of line of sight really makes it hard for those vehicles to decide what to do anyway, as oblits can move and fire heavy weapons, the ability to move and fire out to full range with weapons is what i consider to be the most powerful ability in 4th edition.

Though, missions such as recon make it quite useful to be able to deep strike them, though is still limited by what army you are facing. For instance, i wouldn't risk deep striking my oblits into the deployment zone of an imp guard player, theres probably either no where safe or no room. But against a space marine/chaos player i'd happily deep strike into their deployment zone.

I can think of no reason to deep strike Raptors .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find DSing Obliterators very useful at times, although admittedly I usually only do it in larger, Apocalypse-style games. The Imperial players we play against love to run a couple Baneblades in each game, and I've had some degree of success Deep Striking my Obliterators right in to the side or rear of the super-heavies, then railing on them with TL Melta's for some easy penetrates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

Most of the better arguments are already made, but I'll post my 2 cents anyway.

Yes, they are great for messing up your opponents battle line and/or armour.
    Yes, you'll have to wait until they arrive, and bad rolls aside, that should be around
    turn 3 at least.
    Even with a bad scatter, you can probably multi-melta tanks, throw a plasma cannon
    shot at heavily armoured targets, or even a twin-linked flamer at more lightly armoured
    foes.

I would recommend two Obliterators for this tactic, as three are rather expensive to
    keep in reserve and give them little time to earn their points.
    ------------------------------------
    Innovation suffuses this hobby like a tea bag in the boiling water of play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

a more subtle reason for having oblits on the table on turn 1 is superiority of fire power. just look at your opponent and ask yourself: would the oblits give you superior fire power or is his fire power still superior, even with the oblits. also take into account how easy your and his fire power is neutralised by the respective opponent. the reason is rather simple. if you have superior fire power, he'll have to come to you, meaning you can force him to give up even more fire power to get closer so he can overwhelm you in short range fire fights or close combat. on the waay in you can thin him out and obliterators are perfect for this task as they can fall back or advance as needed and always have an efficient weapon against the advancing forces no matter what they consist of.

that is the reason why i (c'mon rabbit correct it! please) only deep strike my obliterators if:

1: i (c'mon rabbit correct it! please) have to get there cause his firepower is superior in he long run at this distance and/or

2: i (c'mon rabbit correct it! please) have to neutralise a unit i have no other way to get to (like tau jumpers as mentioned before) and/or

3: they would come in via reserve rules anyway. then deep striking is much better cause they won't loose turns of shooting anyways and i (c'mon rabbit correct it! please) can place them where i (c'mon rabbit correct it! please) need them the most (use icons for surgical stikes)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast