Is It Possible To Make A Effective Close Combat Nurgle Army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

Is It Possible To Make A Effective Close Combat Nurgle Army?

I’m about to finish my year at uni which leaves me with all summer to create armies and I have two great ideas for two heavily converted armies: 1st is a renegade Adeptus Mechanicus that specialized in the forbidden art of robotics and AI represented by a Necron army: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...r-list.htmland along side that a army of the undead led by Chaos sorcerers using Death Guard rules.

Problem is I’ve recently reflected on the two armies and how I predicted they’d play on the board and no matter how I look at them the similarities are just too great.
    Both a ‘Death Guard’ and ‘Necron’ army are more suited for shooting than combat plus they are both more heavily resilient than other armies, so I asked myself “What is the point of having two armies that play the same?”

Now this puts me in a difficult situation as I strongly prefer each of my armies to have a certain and different type of gameplay to one another. I can’t change the Necron list as it’s the only one suited for robotic miniatures. But I can change the Undead marines to be more combat based.

The question is how? How can I make this army more combat related without sacrificing it’s theme, is it possible to make a effective close combat Nurgle army or maybe even a large footslogging army of undead marines with Icon Of Nurgle?

http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs25/f/20...y_Proiteus.jpg
    Lost Spirit on the left using Thousand Son rules, and standard Undead marines on the right that were going to be using Death Guard rules.

:::Inquisitor Proiteus, I edited your post, because it exceeded the maximum width restrictions. ~Rabbit:::

Last edited by Rabbit; April 13th, 2008 at 03:11.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

Nurgle are in fact good for close combat, Their high toughness makes them more durable than the other chaos marines. The only drawback is the low Initiative on the Plague mariens, you cant do anything about that. You could just do troops with Mark of nurgle, your wont have FnP though. Give as many of your units power fists or Lighning claws if they can equip them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oddly enough the best kind of army you can do that would resemble a deathguard army is chosen w/ icon of nurgle tooled up with CC weapons while you may lose your FnP and fearless you gain a more durable CC squad with better equipment. you can back this up by either mini plague marine squads with special weapons (to fill out your troop choices) or havoc squads with an icon of nurgle or vehicles.

i am expecting other more experienced members to come smack my idea down however

the reason why i dont like the plague marine squads is due to their lack of good equipment in CC without an expensive champ, they may be tough as bricks but against regular loyalist SM they are as good as CSM in CC without a an expensive champ and powerfist.

dont go the route of regular CSM with an icon of nurgle, their primary advantage is that they can lug around a heavy weapon but cant do so without going to 10+ marines in a squad. So if you want a shooty element go with regular smaller sized plague marine squads with special weapons or a havoc squad (with heavy or special weapons) with an IoN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

Army Lists

Any suggestions about the army list is general? (1500pts)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

you could take large squads of plaque marines, maybe nine if you want to go mechanized or like 15 when you want to footslogg. then add a champ with powerfist and a nurgle sorcerer to each of those squads. i suggest gift of chaos sorcerors with melta bombs and if you want to go mad a homunculus for nurgle's rot or warptime (imagine your sorceror making new undead out of your opponent's army). further add 2 plasmaguns each or meltas, but i'd prefer plasma because of the range. then use those squads to drive around, double tab into something and let them charge you negating those +1 attack due to charge and grinding them down with your lord and the power fisted champ while they try to kill your plaque marines with minor success. or advance them slowly if you footslog and create a meat wall, that keeps your opponent from reaching your support squads. you can then further back those up with some obliterators or terminators, which are pretty versatile and would fit into an undead army easily if converted a bit.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by meeper View Post
    oddly enough the best kind of army you can do that would resemble a deathguard army is chosen w/ icon of nurgle tooled up with CC weapons while you may lose your FnP and fearless you gain a more durable CC squad with better equipment. you can back this up by either mini plague marine squads with special weapons (to fill out your troop choices) or havoc squads with an icon of nurgle or vehicles.

i am expecting other more experienced members to come smack my idea down however
    How do you figure that chosen with the IoN have more staying power than plague marines. Plaguers are actually more durable against small arms fire than terminators. Now that's some serious staying power!

Quote Originally Posted by meeper View Post
    dont go the route of regular CSM with an icon of nurgle, their primary advantage is that they can lug around a heavy weapon but cant do so without going to 10+ marines in a squad.
    There certainly is an appeal for lugging around heavy weapons in our troop slots; however, in my experience, the real advantage of our basic marine is their mobility with special weapons. When up take 10 men, we get an incredibly potent unit with solid staying power, dual special weapons, a champion if needed (usually is), and the option for a rhino. This is what most players regards as the best overall configuration for our chaos marine, and I'll throw my two pennies in with it. In the same way, plague marines utilize dual special weapons in squads smaller than 10, and with an additional save, for example, against the 'gets hot' mechanic of plasma rounds.

Inquisitor Proiteus, here are a few tips on building a Death Guard army:

1) Like all marines, they greatly benefit from infantry. Try and get as many plague marines as possible without unbalancing the rest of your army. For 1500 points, you should strive for between 3-4 units. I prefer 8 men solid at 1500.

Something like this:

8x plague marines
    *2x specials
    *1x champion with fist
    *1x rhino

2) You'll need a way of distracting the enemy away from your rhinos. Other vehicles are our best option. Here's where predators come in. At the 1500 point level, run between 2-3. I run 3, just because tank busting is so crucial in this game.

Between troops and predators, most of your points are now invested. At the 1500 level, you're pretty much set. In larger games, consider small shock units of termis with combi-plasmas, a heavy flamer & a fist. OR, you could opt for chosen with IoN; however, remember that a single unit of chosen will become quick dead meat, if they are the only infantry starting on the table (i.e., all other are in rhinos)

3) HQ: Normally, I suggest sorcery, if only because it our powers are so very good- Lashy. For DG, princes take the #1 slot (IMO), since fluff precludes raptors. Of course, if you want raptors then by all means take them, at which point, I'd raise the option for sorcerers again. Reason being, the sorcerer needs somewhere to hide, and the raptos offer the perfect seclusion. I'm assuming a winged sorcerer.

For a prince, keep it simple. IoN, flight, and Warp Time makes for the all-purpose infantry killer. Against swarms, Rot is amazing, and it aint to shabby against marines either- not great, but not as bad as it was in 3rd edition.

Best of luck Inquisitor Proiteus!
    Last edited by Rabbit; April 13th, 2008 at 18:07.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

454 (x7)

You Don't Understand!

I don't think most of you understand what I'm asking, I had an effective Death Guard list but because it would play too similar to my Necron army I'm trying to make an effective close combat army that matches the theme of the undead miniatures!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Wow

Wow, that was helpful. I still don't follow what you are looking for...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

454 (x7)

Difference

I'm going to quickly change the subjects and ask everyone to look at these two army lists.

My Necron Army: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...oyer-list.html
    My Chaos Army: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1141048 (1500pts Undead Legion (Death Guard))

Now I find it important that my armies are different to each other (my guard are a static firepower army so clearly I won't want to create an army that plays the same) I'm just worried that they'll be little difference between how both of the armies work on the board.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Proiteus; April 14th, 2008 at 00:02.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you not get what your looking for with the rumored changes to 40k out of a chaos army.
    - If you are looking to go close combat you have to look in the elites.
    -2 DP MoN take what ever power you want
    - Termies right out of the box are pretty good at cc make them champs there expensive but would jack stuff up in cc. They could be undead kings form a time forgotten brought back by nurgle... Just a idea I suck at back stories.
    -chosen with combat weapons.
    -One thing I thought would be fun would be a unit of 8 havocs with 4 flamers and a pf champ in a rhino. Seems MoN could help these guys out the most.

But if the troops are the only thing that can score which is the rumored deal for 5th you need at least a couple blocks of troops to get claim objectives.

So if your looking for alot of cc orc or nids are the only thing that come to mind

Not sure if this is what you where looking for or not.

+ Reply to Thread