Lash Movement - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lash Movement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lash Movement

When you use LoS do you have to move your opponents unit the entire 2d6, or just as much as you want?

"When Blood Speaks, Shadows Answer."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say the amount rolled. If you got to choose, it would say "up to 2d6" not "moved 2D6" (dex page 8. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It just like fleet movement. You roll and you can move upto said ammount, ignoring difficult terrain.
    Say you rolled a 7, you can move upto that. Not more but yes to less.

Besides if you were forced to move the full ammount and you didnt want to, just move them x ammount and then move them backward until they are where you want them.
    What once was courage has now cursed in the wars we've made.
    We are the sinners, before our graves.
    (Coheed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As this a thread about Lash movement, I think I will threadjac.

Can I bunch the moved models up into a tight circle?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    281 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Pika_Power View Post
    As this a thread about Lash movement, I think I will threadjac.

Can I bunch the moved models up into a tight circle?
    As long as none of them go over their movement limit, sure. its one of the main strengths of lash. Put them close together, then send a few vindicator shells their way.
    Rork: In the dark future of the 41st millennium there is only friendship.
    Fenrir: and magic.
    Kaiser-: My Little Chaos Marine, Friendship is Heresy?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

I don't think

I don't think you can go with the upto thing. That sounds like nonsense to me. You Lash someone and then they move 2d6" in the direction of your choice. That sounds like scatter where you get to move the arrow to point where you want, not a fleet move.

As for repositioning. That's something I think you can do, as long as you move all of his models the amount indicated by the dice.

Just doesn't feel right to exert that much control.

resident iconoclast Left of West's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x3)

For what it's worth, the text of the Lash rules mentions nothing about direction. Even if you must move each model exactly the distance rolled, nothing prevents you from moving a model along an arcing path so that the distance traveled meets the necessary requirement while still leaving the model less than that distance from where it started.

For that matter, there's no reason you couldn't move a model an inch, then an inch back to where it was (and so on) to fill the "distance travelled" requirement without actually moving at all.
    Once again, the conservative, sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Zarahemna View Post
    I don't think you can go with the upto thing. That sounds like nonsense to me. You Lash someone and then they move 2d6" in the direction of your choice. That sounds like scatter where you get to move the arrow to point where you want, not a fleet move.

As for repositioning. That's something I think you can do, as long as you move all of his models the amount indicated by the dice.

Just doesn't feel right to exert that much control.

Normally I am a big fan of Rules As Intended, and I prefer going along the spirit of the game rather than forcing a meaning to the words.

In this case however, the rules are so badly written, that it is difficult to tell even what they meant the rules to mean.

If I may rant briefly, I also propose that if you were to ask the author of the codex directly what he meant exactly, that he wouldn't be able to give you an answer.

I dunno, there's no sense looking for logic or reason where there isn't any. Instead, better to agree with your gaming circle exactly what it does prior to play.

You can then alter tactics and army lists accordingly.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

288 (x6)

A what?

An arcing what?

There's no such thing as arcing movement in 40k, Warhammer, Bloodbowl, Necromunda, and son on. It's expressly prohibited in a couple of places but never allowed anywhere is any of the GW rules systems.

The lash is awesome. Move your opponents troops 2d6". Wow, there are lots of possibilities in that. Why would you want to start tacking stuff on like, upto and so on...

resident iconoclast Left of West's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Zarahemna View Post
    An arcing what?

There's no such thing as arcing movement in 40k, Warhammer, Bloodbowl, Necromunda, and son on. It's expressly prohibited in a couple of places but never allowed anywhere is any of the GW rules systems.

The lash is awesome. Move your opponents troops 2d6". Wow, there are lots of possibilities in that. Why would you want to start tacking stuff on like, upto and so on...
    Hang on, are you actually stating that models must always move in a single straight line without making any turns? Given that the rules specifically allow them to make turns, I'd say that you're obviously wrong.

If you're suggesting that only the model's displacement matters when measuring how far it has gone, you're obviously wrong again. Consider a model, X, attempting to charge another model, Y. Between model X and model Y is a chasm (impassible terrain) as illustrated in the diagram below:

....Y....

Chasm

....x....

The distance between X and model Y is exactly six inches--which is the distance X is allowed to charge. However, since X must arc his movement around the chasm--he's not allowed to move through it, afterall--X can't charge Y. His path around the chasm to model Y will be longer than the six inches between them.

If you were correct, and only displacement mattered, X could charge Y no matter how wide or long that chasm was--since his displacement after contacting Y would only be six inches.

No, the rules are clear on this. The distance a model moves is the length of the path it takes. Models are allowed to turn at any time (making curving paths explicitly legal). The distance they move has no mandated relationship to their displacement at the end of a movement.

It is entirely legal to move six inches in a series of zig-zags, or whatever you want, and end up only an inch, or whatever, from where you started--while still having counted as moving six inches.

Instances where models are required to end up a certain distance from where they started, such as the Skimmers Moving Fast rule or the Turbo-boosters rule, explicitly state that displacement matters.

If you have a rule to quote (though I know that you do not) feel free to quote it. Until then, consider your position debunked.

Also, there is nothing badly written or unclear about the lash rules. This opinion routinely seems to be nothing more than the result of individuals' desires to see it do something other than what it does.
    Last edited by Left of West; May 4th, 2008 at 18:45.
    Once again, the conservative, sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast