Terminators... How do I kill them? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terminators... How do I kill them?

Hello, I have a problem. The problem comes in the form of a friend who has a love affair with Deathwing. I have no idea how to kill terminators with my list!

My list is http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ck-legion.html (Yay, a failed army list. Help fix it please! (2000 points) (Black legion))

The problem is, my list can take out MEq fine, but give me Terminators and my hands are tied.

His list was something like:

Five man squad of termies (Various upgrades)
    Five man squad of termies (Various upgrades)
    Five man squad of Termies (Various upgrades, Belial, Chaplain)
    Devestators (Plasma, missile launcher, Lascannon)
    Five man squad of Marines (Lascannon)
    Land raider crusader for the pumped up termies.

There was a tad too much terrain on the field, and my predator was a gameboy, so I forgot to fire the guns...

Anyway, the game went like this:

I set up and get first turn.
    I kill off the havoc squad via lash/obbieplasma combo.
    The Berserker squad moves up in a Rhino, hops out, claims a loot counter, the Rhino swings side on towards the LRC.
    The 1k sons move and get blown up due to difficult terrain. All escape happily.
    The other berserker squad moves onto the wreck of the Sons Rhino.
    The normal squad claims an objective.
    The defiler and Dread kill off the Lascannon five man squad.
    The pred shoots the LRC, Shaken.

His turn:
    He moves the LRC up to the Rhino, Belial's posse jumps out and explodes the Rhino. Two Berzerkers dead.
    Some Termies arrive via Deathwing strike.

My turn:
    My termies arrive due to DS. They do not do guided DS, they roll snake eyes. 220 points vanish.
    I charge over the wreck of the first berzerker Rhino. They get wiped out without a fight.
    I Lash some Termies away from an objective.
    I Forget about most of the rest of the stuff, or it does so badly rolling he shrugs it off.

The next few turns were a bloody massacre, and not just because of my forgetfulness.

He seems to be godly at rolling termy saves, and I usually fail patials on templates.

What have I done wrong? I am certain my list is fairly good, so what warranted that loss?

Also, how do I kill termies with my list?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always go by the idea of volume of fire to bring them down. Take 2-3 squads and rapidfire/ just shoot them. Force enough saves and they WILL die.
    Thousand Bows (SM)
    Tau 3-1
    Tyranids 1-0
    Eldar 0-1

Tau

SW 0-1

GK 1-0

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

I was rolling today just to see the odds of me failing a regular marine save, with 5 dice per roll about 20 rolls I failed 2 out of 5 a few times and a shocking 3 out of 5 the rest...
    Considering they are worth a ton because of a fantastic save that I can't use because dice hate me I kind of wish I had a less expensive/armoured race.

I then tried again the same set of 5 and rolled only a few below 3...

So I don't seem to roll randomly, more or less I roll consecutively bad or consecutively good...

Plasmas for terms, thats all I can say or some high initiative units with power weapons? chosen perhaps if they can do such a thing? Icon of... slaneesh I believe? But plasmas will do the trick and considering how good they are at knocking almost anything out... a worthy investment.

I've almost given up on non-icon DSing because they either land so far away from CC that they are shot to pieces or just disappear into the warp.

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

My turn:
    My termies arrive due to DS. They do not do guided DS, they roll snake eyes. 220 points vanish.
    Er, I'm fairly sure this is an outdated 3rd ed rule. Quite sure that under 4th ed there's no such thing as snake eyes causing the unit to be lost in the warp.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

not that im aware of either..
    although if they land on top of anything after scattering, theyre destroyed instead.

a bud had his entire regimen of ds-ers destroyed or scattered outside the table..

hes gonna use icons next time

theres no accounting for bad luck
    Last edited by arachnid; April 26th, 2008 at 18:46.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x3)

I highly suggest you acquaint yourself with the FOURTH edition rulebook before playing again. Also you mention having obliterators. Well they have plasma cannons which should be locking on to ANY Termy squad that DS's. All it takes is one good shot or 2-3 bad ones and POOF, no more termies.
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sabe View Post
    I highly suggest you acquaint yourself with the FOURTH edition rulebook before playing again. Also you mention having obliterators. Well they have plasma cannons which should be locking on to ANY Termy squad that DS's. All it takes is one good shot or 2-3 bad ones and POOF, no more termies.
    I know I could be better versed in the rules, but for that particular instance a friend (not the same one) told me about it...

I did load plasma cannons into them. Three plasma cannons. I always have to get one hit and four partials, so I roll for the partials. all fail. The remaining either do not wound, or he saves them. Was that bad luck?

So at the start of the game, what should I have shot everything at? I feared the plasma of the devestator squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x3)

If you came here to ask for advice against bad dice rolling I would have suggested getting enw dice. You asked how to deal with terminators, I(as well as several others) offered replies. I'm not faulting you for not shooting the termies with the PC's, I'm just suggesting that they are probably the number one way to get to DS'ing termies. Sorry your luck was bad but thats not something we can help you with.

If you have 3 PC's and get 1 hit and 4 partials each time your technical medium is 6 hits(Assuming one of the 3 PC's misses). Of those techincally 5 should wound and he should save 1-2 of them. Thus, statistically your looking at killing 3+ termies every time you fire. Now, that could easily swing your way and you kill all of them, it can swing his way and you only kill 1-2. On very rare occasions you may kill none, as you have expressed. But you won't win games basing your startegies off the slimmest of margins.
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 2c

Plague marines with plasma guns, fearless they have to wipe out the squad to get to the plasma, and hey hell of alot cheaper than the terms they are fighting and about as tough.

Have you thought of using our own terms as a counter unit, DS with rapid firing combi plasmas.. If it comes to CC our terms have power weaps so hey will kill them before the powerfists they loyalists have even touch us..
    What once was courage has now cursed in the wars we've made.
    We are the sinners, before our graves.
    (Coheed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had another game... We only got the first turn done (we play slowly) but plasma worked far better.

I think that I will just put my loss there down to bad luck, lack of dozerblades, too much terrain, forgetfulness to fire a gameboy's lascannons and a too-small board. (also charging a command squad with six bezerkers was not the smartest move...)

Although I now have another question about DA, as can be seen in the rules section.

+ Reply to Thread