Librarium Online Forums banner

Help with new army (shooty or?)

937 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  The Doctor 
#1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first post ever here. I just read an hour in the lists and there are a lot of things not clear for me. I have the new dex of CSM but couldn't find the time yet to read it properly.

Here's the deal. I've been out for three years in 40k. I used to play with Dark Eldar and was quite good. ONE BIG DOWNSIDE. Doing what i wanted to do with that army would take a lot of troops and way too much models. I like painting and stuff but it seemed too much work to do. CSM was my second army of choice and has lesser models but even cool to paint. So CSM it is!!!

Choice is made but I'd like to have a shooty orientated army. Does Iron Warriors still exists? Still 4 heavy slots or are they revised too? Other CSM armies that are good in shooting? I don't ask to get me a 100% solution but some tips and tricks would be welcome to get me started. I'd like to learn it for myself but im looking for a good start.

I hope it is clear what I want to do and I hope that someone could help me start this thing.

Greets and thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
If I read you right, you want an army that can handle its own but has little models.

First: the rules for the different legions no longer excist. So no 4 heavy weapon slots
for the Iron Warriors.

Second: read the Chaos tactica stickied topic (at the top of the thread list). You'll find
a good description about all the units there and should help you pick your shooty army.

Third: As an example, my shooty, 1500 pts IW army:
-Winged DP
-2x CSM squads (10 Marines) in Rhino's
-2x Predator with lascannon turret and sponsons
-1x Predator with lascannon turret and heavy bolter sponsons
-1x Termie squad (5 Termies) in a Land Raider
-1x Vindicator

Tanks are quick to paint (7 tanks in this one), and with 20 CSM's, 5 Termies
and 1 DP, you will have an army painted in no time at all.

#3 ·
Thats a great reply for a start! Thank you very much.

How about those Emperor's Children and noise marines. Since the 4th heavy slot on IW is down, isn't it better to take an Undivided Army? Or does IW still have their advantages.

Obliterators are now heavy for all?

thanks

#4 ·
Heya Furio! Welcome to the ruinous powers and let me first start off by saying that you should peruse the Chaos tactica I wrote. I think it is the one that Kantoken is referring to and you will find it in my signature below.

Choice is made but I'd like to have a shooty orientated army. Does Iron Warriors still exists?
As Kantoken said, there are no specific rules for IW any more but that does not mean that you cannot make an IW list. Simply use things that IW are known for like Vindicators and obliterators.

How about those Emperor's Children and noise marines.
Noise marines are brutal in the new edition. Get yourself a unit of around 8 noise marines, give 7 of them sonic blasters and the last one a blast master and you can cut through anything like a knife through butter.

Since the 4th heavy slot on IW is down, isn't it better to take an Undivided Army?
In the new book every army is undivided in essence, unless you make the decision to only include units of a certain god or specific to a certain legion.

Or does IW still have their advantages.
Again, no specific rules for IW any more... you would pretty much just make an undivided army and paint them as IW.

Obliterators are now heavy for all?
Now heavy for all and not nearly as good. They can only use energy weapons now ( no more auto cannons or heavy bolters), have lost a point of toughness, can now only get a single power fist rather than a pair and cost 5 more points. I was not overly fond of them before and since the new book was released I do not plan on using them at all.

Again, check out the link to my tactica in my signature below. I go over each unit, talk about its strengths and weaknesses and give examples of good setups.

Hope it helps!

#6 ·
I'm getting through it but there are a couple of things not clear to me.

What about HQ? Can you have 2 of the same?
When you have two DP with different marks, is this possible? Are you bound on taking the units from that God for the rest of your army?

#8 ·
As long as there is a rule for not taking not more than one, you can take two HQ choices
that are the same.

Two DP's, two Lords, two Sorcerers.

The only exceptions to these rules are the 'named' characters on the pages which come
before the general HQ choices. You can never have more than one of the same named
charactes (so no two Kharn the Betrayers, for example).

#12 ·
Sorry to jump in here but I am confused
If you take a landraider as a transport does it no longer take up a heavy slot
It starts as a transport option, so comes with the unit you chose the transport for, and
thus doesn't take up a place on the FOC.

For example, CSM's with a Rhino don't count as two Troop choices, just one.
Terminators with a Land Raider don't count as an Elite and Heavy support choice,
just as one Elite's choice.

This is because the Land Raider is an OPTION to the Terminators, like buying wargear
for them.

So, if you want, you can get two Terminator squads, both with a Land Raider transport,
and still have all three Heavy Support choices available to you (in the standard missions).

#13 · (Edited)
Ok, long time no hear. I'm getting a 1000 points army and need some advice. I will play a few test games against the Eldar. I have a few random questions too after the list...

LIST

-HQ:

Deamon Prince w/ MoK, Wings
140pts

-Troops:

Squad Thousand Sons (8 )
+ Sorcerer w/Doombolt
+ Rhino with demonic posession
324pts

Squad Noise Marines (6)
+ 5 Sonic Blasters
+ 1 Blastmaster

Squad Noise Marines (6)
+ 5 Sonic Blasters
+ 1 Blastmaster
370 pts

Total: 834

My problem: Don't know what to choose now. My thoughts on options were....

Vindicator with Combi Plasma OR
Predator with TL LC + LC sponsons OR
Dreadnought with plasmacannon and missile launcher OR
other advice??

Questions for expanding army....

-Troops: 2 extra noise marine squads and a big squad (15-20 ) CSM sloggies
Use of Rhino's? 4 Noises + 1 CSM + 1 Thousand Sons is enough balanced?

-Elites: Two AT Dreadnoughts or 1 CC and 1 AT?
I'm sure of one LR with 5 termies

-Fast Attack: Raptors all the way!!! But how many with wich weapons?

-Heavy Support: One Vindicator for sure. I love the predator but is it effective?
What about the nerfed oblits? I'd love to add a Defiler but yet again, is it effective?

#14 ·
For you Raptors, I like taking 2 Meltas.
It allows your Raptors to be quick-hitting Anti-Tank or Anti-Hero, but also allows you to take on normal infantry, and have an almost sure 2 kills before you go into Melee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.