Counts as - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Counts as

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Counts as

Hello everyone, I think we all can agree that mixed demon armies are stronger than mono god lists. So what can a man do that love theme and fluff but doesn't want just 4 different units in his army. So my solution is to take a mixed list but model the other demons in Slaneeshs likeness. Bloodletters would be represented by Beefy demonettes or Bondage guys, etc.
    What are you opinions on this? Is it cheesy? Dumb? Any opinion is welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

I say go for it. Its a good idea, and I think a lot of people are also considering the same thing.

As for me, I think the farthest I'll go for "count as" is using a Hell Cannon as a Soul Grinder. Seeing as they're both daemonically possessed hunks of metal, I don't believe too many people will give me trouble with that.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't ever want to see counts as daemons it is not a good idea it is childish and whiny

just to clarify over a broad scope it's not okay to use counts as models to cover your armies weaknesses !! at all ever period

the choice between theme and power has always been a tough one as it should be if you want to go with power and break your theme so be it but don't mutilate perfectly good models in an attempt to deceive opponents into to thinking you chose the latter

just for it it's actually more fluffy to include daemons from multiple gods rather than one anyway if you read the book
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x5)

I think it could lead to some interesting conversion possiblities. Keep in mind the better your conversions are, the less likely people will complain about it.

To Plague_00, although I can sympathize with your stance, I find your all or nothing stance lacking credibility. If Duront likes the fluff, but not the game mechanics then that's his call. I am a fluff oriented person myself, and am quite willing to lose a few more games because of it, but I will not tell other people to treat the game as I do. Everyone has their own philosophy. It does not make them childish or whiny.
    I am heading off to the Peace Corps. It is bery likely I will not be back. Good luck to all of you endeavors.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

I think general consensus is that if you put in the time and effort into something that looks decent and represents the models well, it should fly. I think the challenging part would be actually finding models that worked well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that if you want to use "counts as" the modle should be approriately converted to represent whatever its counting as. That said, I think there should be more conversions among demons, seeing as I dont think GW intended their line of minis to exclusively represent mankind's emotional resonance in the warp, so having large, buff, gimp-like "bloodletters" of Slaanesh would make perfect sense. If i had half the modeling/sculping ability I wish i did, my armies would be alot more visually unique. /lament

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having been involved with the game for a long time, I still feel that Khorne Daemons just do not fit in a Slannesh army, and vice versa (same goes with the Tzeentch-Nurgle feud). With that being said, however, it wouldn't be too out of place to have daemons of opposing allegiances fighting alongside each other. There have been cases where the Four have put aside their mutual hatred to fight together. Abaddon's crusades are a perfect example of this.

I feel that it would be cool to see daemons converted to fit with a different god, but if you are unable to make a certain daemon "fit in", I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, fluffwise.
    Last edited by Zarak; May 11th, 2008 at 03:31.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x3)

You could also just use the models available and use your paint scheme to unit your armies look. If your looking to blend the fluff that could be a little more difficult.
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think itss a pretty good idea overall. It might be a little easier to convert if you start with a the basic unit and convert it towards your overall theme. Example being starting with a bloodletter and giving it a whip-ish-arm-thing or Slaanesh appropriate clothing. I think Tzeentch and nurgle might be a bit more difficult to give the likeness of Slaanesh, but its completely possible, and very interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by MindWar View Post
    Frankly, I think you're insane!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhh Im glad someone started this thread because as I go through what I like/dislike in the chaos daemon list, Iv decided to go for an all Khorne theme, but with three gods units... I cant see a problem with "counts as" as long as there is nothing else in the army it can be confused with

For example instead of seekers of slaanesh, Im going to be making seekers of Khorne. Using bloodletters mounted on flesh hounds. I wont be using flesh hounds (the unit) in the army so there wont be any confusion.

Flamers is another unit I will be including, using the plastic bloodletter combined with either plasma weapons or tyranid deathspitters (I havent decided if I want an organic looking army or a more tech/soulgrinder/obliterater style army)

Of course all units will have a healthy dose of greenstuff (cause if it cant be made with greenstuff. It CANT be made)..

But out of all my usual (or unusual) opponents I cant see this ever becoming a problem being counts as units....
    What once was courage has now cursed in the wars we've made.
    We are the sinners, before our graves.
    (Coheed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast