5th Ed. Raptors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5th Ed. Raptors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

5th Ed. Raptors

Well, this new run rule has got everybody talking about Rhinos, well, I ask, what about Raptors?

They're another mainstay of Chaos who's usefulness may be affected by this rule. What do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Well when it all comes down too it, the new Chaos codex was made for 5th edition. So I would just say don't get to comfortable with it yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the way I see it is that (once "run" is implemented) with a Rhino you pay the points for a TL bolter, a gauranteed extra 6" every turn, and an armored shell while you're on the way.

With Raptors you pay the extra points per model for the gauranteed 6" and the ability to charge after that distance. That, and the ability to jump over walls. I think the measly amount of points you pay up from Marine to Raptor will still be worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Raptors will still be very useful.

They can sneak into places that Rhinos can't get, and they still pack some healthy fire power.

Also, they take up different slots to troops, not that this is really an issue with 6 troop slots.

Raptors are also individually fast, and not based on a vehicle or all out running.

The significance of this is that, one Krak Missile is all it will take to reduce a whole squad to running. Where, sure they can move fast, but they can't really engage in anything afterwards.

A raptor squad can take several casualties, and their aggregate movement speed remains unimpaired. Meaning that in the long term they will be faster for longer.

Finally, and this is my favourite, Raptors will always have a place in my twisted, mechanical, alien, lego, dark heart for their ability to deepstrike.

Alot of people will complain at an assault based unit deepstriking for whatever reasons. But if you've got balls like me, or you're stupid like me, then the results can be spectacular. You just have to know when to pull it off implement and enjoy the rush of taking risks.

But then again, it's just a game - and what's a game without fun?
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Finally, and this is my favourite, Raptors will always have a place in my twisted, mechanical, alien, lego, dark heart for their ability to deepstrike.

Alot of people will complain at an assault based unit deepstriking for whatever reasons. But if you've got balls like me, or you're stupid like me, then the results can be spectacular. You just have to know when to pull it off implement and enjoy the rush of taking risks.
    Read this as deep striking meltaguns + side/rear armour= pain.

Dan
    Last edited by Karmoon; May 20th, 2008 at 15:24. Reason: completing BB code

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

I compleatly agree. I always field my raptors with meltas and deep strike them. I also give the champ dual L-claws and Icon of slannesh, that way they can get the first attack even againt their loyalist bretheren

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Hashulaman View Post
    I compleatly agree. I always field my raptors with meltas and deep strike them. I also give the champ dual L-claws and Icon of slannesh, that way they can get the first attack even againt their loyalist bretheren
    NOOOO!!!!!
    After so serious research and some good old head scratching its been decided that the power fist is far superior to the lightening claws on the raptor champion. This is because with the melta guns, the fist meshes much better, you can follow through from the melta attack into a MC or vehicle, it is much better against all T5 and above and you still get a bolt pistol shot. Claws and flamers are for anti infantry.

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

But Slaanesh and higher initiative!
    You can have initiative 10 for all a carnifex cares. If you hit like a pansy, it doesn't matter when you strike because nothing is going to happen.

In the previous codex, it was important to protect Slaaneshi stuff as it was expensive, but back then champs were striking at S6 or at least S5.

But now, Slaanesh is as cheap as chips, so, throwing away the init bonus on a single model is well worth the squad rounding and destructive potential of a fist.
    LO Rules

Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

Considering I was talking about fighting loyalists and not a carnifex........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Hashulaman View Post
    Considering I was talking about fighting loyalists and not a carnifex........
    The other dudes STILL get to attack faster than they're loyalist brethren. So it's all good

But, if I saw a squad without a fist, then it's a great chance to get a dreadnought stuck in. Admittedly, Raptors are on krak and often have melta guns, but, getting stuck against a dready without only limited means of attacking back is never good.

Also, if you're fighting Imperial marines, then Chappy led assault squads is another good reason to have a fist. Even with L'claws, you won't kill the chaplain, or have a very low chance to do it, and two turns will be all he needs to get you.

With a powerfist, you're by and large ending it in one blow.

There's also armour to consider too. Loyalists often take predators and razor backs and stuff. Meltas are great, bud sometimes just giving it a good punch will really get the job done decisively.

So.. while L'claws are best against other marines, there is still a massively strong case for Powerfists. It prepares your squad for ALL threats.
    LO Rules

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast