Modeling Ultra-grit - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Modeling Ultra-grit

A group of my friends and I have always had I high level of expectations as far as playing with painted minis, respect to the points limit (never over) and we have ALWAYS played WYSIWYG... no exceptions.

Since the release of the chaos codex and the amount of standard equipment amounting to ultra-grit, a few of the chaos players have been modeling the bolt pistol/cw onto their marines and bolters onto their asault troops to comply with WYSIWYG.
    The minis that are not modeled so, can only use the equipment represented on the mini.

I was just wondering if most people were doing the same thing?

I mean, as far as tourneys go, Im sure you could not use the bolt pistol/ccw in the turn that you intend to charge if the mini does not even have a bolt pistol OR ccw modeled onto it.

I know that we are more strict in this gaming group than most, but we do allow exceptions as long as they can be justified e.g. grenades can go in a pouch or under a coat, a dagger is a CCW...

What is the general consensus?

Last edited by Plasma Catcher; May 23rd, 2008 at 12:32.
    It's worth a krak!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Like you said, your group is more strict than most.

As far as we are concerned (we being my gaming group) any equipment which automatically comes with the model doesn't specifically have to be modelled.

For example - you cannot take a Chaos Marine without power armour. Or take away his bolter. He has one naturally.

Another example, which is backed up by codex photography is in the Tyranid codex.

Genestealers naturally have rending. They cannot NOT have it. There is an example in the Nid codex of a genestealer without the 'tri claw' arms, and his description clearly states he has rending claws.

But, your gaming group is your gaming group my friend. As long as everyone is happy and clear, then you should model Ultra grit how you see fit.

Additionally, this topic tends to get done rather often, so please forgive me if i lock it after a while
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

You will be lucky to fit frag, krak and bolter, boltpistol and CCW on one model.

I agree with karmoon, you dont need to show the bolter or the bolt pistl and close combat weapons. They are included on the normal profile of the unit so its just as it is.

Dan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

BP, CCW and F&K

I think that you should remember that all three of the additional items in a CSM's kit come within the list of things that can be represented indirectly. Probably the most dificult is the BP which really requires a holster or pouch of some sort.

Personally I try to add as many pouches, grenades and other pieces of kit so that it is clear that my marines are loaded with equipment. The essence of WYSIWYG after all is to esnure that there is no confusion about what a model is equipped with.

The BP holsters tend to be a bit huge for my tastes too. Ah well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Plasma_Catcher:

It's good that you want to be fair to GW's rules... but by the same token, who's going to be fair to you?

The answer: We at LO ^_^

What do I mean by this?

Well, if you are such a staunch believer in WYSIWYG, what happens in the next codex when suddenely wargear is brought back and CSM now have options of taking or not taking equipment?

Do you then propose to buy your army all over again, or painstakingly rip off every single krak grenade from your models?

It's not a personal attack of anything, just encouraging you to see the bigger picture.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Karmoon.

What I do with my CSM squads is a mix of models equipped with different combinations of bolter/bp/ccw/knives/grenades. The look is quite neat as it gives all your models a unique look, and also suits the WYSIWYG for uber-grit pretty good imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

i do the same thing really, i try to mix it up so that the squads as a whole looks wysiwyg Grit, but still future-proofed.

about the bp-holsters, i find the pouch thingy to be humongous in comparison, covering the entire leg and dragging on the floor

really should have modeled my own ammo-belts or something.

tactical belts a lá batman, perhaps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

When I built my Space Wolves 13th Co. and wanted to model True Grit because I thought it would look cool to have Assault arms with a bolter replacing the bolt pistol.

My concept of WYSIWYG is that a model should not be modeled with a weapon that it DOESN'T have. And models with OPTIONAL items or weapons (flamers, plasma guns, Iron Halos, etc.) should be modeled; but a rule which suggests that you have to glue on EVERYTHING each model has is a scary thought.

At the end of the day though, if it works for your gaming group, good luck.

Jon
    [COLOR=DarkRedI got my tournament t-shirts at mathhammer.net[/COLOR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Dude! You so have to do gunblades..then the other hand have a bolter

One could also model a bayonet onto their model for the CCW, and then, like a friend of mine does, use BP's as his marines have the ability to take a single shot before running in and slashing n' stuff. Makes sense to me, it could work.
    JOIN MY SQUAD IN THE SONS OF THE LIBRARIUM THREAD, I NEED TACTICAL MARINES! I PLAN TO CONVERT UP A SQUAD TO "COUNT AS" LoTD IN MY SMarine ARMY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What i used to do when i played my Dark angels (They have an almost uber grit set up..) with a bolt pistol and a bolter, what i Did is i took a lot of pistol / close combat arms, and simply modeled them all to be holding a Bolter in one hand and a bolt pistol in the other.

Then you take for uber grit simply some of the many knives / stabby things you find in a sprue and simply glue it on his waist somewhere as like an easy access weapon. Like I would take a Knife or a sword type bit and attach it horizontally on the back of his belt under the power pack, so for fluff reasons when hes pistol / CCW you can just say hed drop the bolter and quickly pull out the Knife ect.

Just what id do but then again the Old dust suits arent much for that kind of dexterity...
    In my belief, Thousand suns are the only chaos faction that should get apothecaries...I mean think about it alls hed need is a vacuum and a funnel...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast