Librarium Online Forums banner

Is a Khorne Lord with a Daemon Weapon worth the Risk?

• Yes, 2D6 Attacks is worth the Risk.

Votes: 55 69.6%
  • No, The chances of rolling a 1, are too Great.

Votes: 24 30.4%

Is a Khorne Lord worth the Risk

6K views 56 replies 26 participants last post by  Moschaboy 
#1 · (Edited)
Is a Khorne Lord, with a Daemon Weapon, and a Jump Pack worth the Risk, or should I reconsider?

Please let me know what you think, with suggestions on any Improvement, or Replacements.

EDIT: I intend to take him along with a Unit Of Raptors, so that they could still get a few more attacks in, even if he doesn't. Still, let me know what you think of him, and this Idea.

My Further opinoins are Voiced Throughtout The Thread.

Thank You.

#4 ·
I think that it would depend on your overall tactic and/or army fluff.

That being said, considering it as a single unit its not worth the investment, in my opinion anyway. The problem with deamonic weapons is not so much that you'll eventually get a wound, but that when you do you'll be unable to attack that turn as well with the model. This is something that really grinds my gears, i hate have "X" amount of point not contributing in anything , even if its for a turn.

An other thing worth mentioning is that Strength 4 isn't all that good anyway. In fact you may be better of , statistically, with a mark undivided to get that + 1 strength, or equip him with a steed of khorn (For the +1 strength ) instead of using a jump pack.

Finally i think the price is too high given the risk. For almost the same price I would rather field a Deamon prince my self, First you get the "Eternal warrior" rule , then you have Better strength , toughness and weapon skill and a nice 2D6 monstrous creature bonus. The psychological effect is there also with a prince, most people will make the mistake of over emphasizing the threat of the prince and will waste too many shots trying to get him down , taking fire away from the rest of your army.

Anyway just my 2 cents.

#5 ·
An other thing worth mentioning is that Strength 4 isn't all that good anyway. .
There should be another option on the poll.

Strength 4 is embarrassing.

And by the time you put him on a juggernaught you wonder if there are better ways you can spend points.

#7 ·
It is worth the risk this is why,

A) The chance for 19 attacks on his own, on the charge, is amazing.

B) Even if you do roll a one...you can still make a invul save against, so it doesn't auto wound you either you still have a hope of passing it.

I personally run my lord like that. With MoK and a bloodfeeder...I have wiped out whole squads with him before on his own. And also even if he takes a wound from it and you fail the invul, you have plenty more wounds to make up for it.

#9 ·
He's a very solid troop killer, and not too expensive to be worth while. You just can't expect him to do things on his own; he, like 95% of all HQ's in the game, needs a unit to support him. He may get into combat with another unit, but the support will be needed.

I could see him slashing his way through an entire Guard army with relative ease. Tons of attacks, wounding on 3's, etc.

Against opponents with higher Toughness, he obviously won't do as well. I think it falls down to playstyle and what you're trying to fill a niche for, as well as fluff (as previously stated).

I would, however, say that Terminator Armour isn't worth it. Power armour and an invulnerable should be a reasonable amount of protection; you're relying on killing power to serve as your staying power. I say keep him as cheap as possible.

#10 ·
Worth the risk.

What is a Chaos Marine without some risk? (answer: a smart one, but that was not
what I meant.)

Give it a go. Back him up with another Lord, or DP.

#15 ·
Just played a Vassal game against infantry heavy Orks using a Lord with Bloodfeeder. He and his squad of 7 raptors killed off; 10 Stormboys, 5-6 nobz, a warboss, and around 15 boys. I only rolled 1's once, and managed to make the invulnerable save. Im sure my luck will run out eventually, but im not gonna stop using this infantry-killing machine just because hes a bit risky.

All the mathammer in the world can't account for how effective he can be with a bit of luck. Try it for yourself, he could be useless, could be brutal. All depends on the rest of your list.

#16 ·
If you're going to take him, bring along a unit to assist him when he flops his attack roll.

For me it often comes to reliability. Sometimes I need my units to pull their weight for my battle plans to suceed. Granted you have to roll normally anyway, but I much prefer something like a daemon prince for reliability. The odds are better for me, I've not much luck, he he.

All in all it's up to whoever wants to use it. But I'll pass 9 times out of 10.

#18 ·
Big risk, big payoff. It works for me. That being said, my own experience with him was putting him on a bike and pointing him towards a big Chosen squad. I failed the test twice in a row and my Lord got himself killed with six powerfist attacks...worst overkill I've ever had. My opponent was not doing well that game, and brutalizing the Khorne Lord was a bright spot for him. So, it all worked out.

#19 ·
I like some of the ideas posted, However most of them are going to cost you. If you're mind set on a Khornide lord , i'd field Kharn the betrayer, or something using his profile as a template with a different name (For fluff) ; Like Bob Sagget "the skull taker" Or Celine Dion "The blood drinker".

Why i think Kharn is better? Furious charge plus gorechild = Pure carnage. You'll get , statistically , an equal amount of wounds on charge (Including the plasma pistol shot At Bs5) but with a higher initiative and strength and with an extra D6 for amour penetration. In fact against marines you'd be rolling on a 2+/2+ power weapon (I hope this is not infringing on copy writ laws.) Blessing of the blood god also means no lash cramping your style or force weapons ending your rampage before it starts. Just run him behind a rhino or , dare i say it? , give him a land raider and charge against anything! Also rolling a one means a dead Csm , not a whole round of just standing there like a gimp asking for a beating.

#20 ·
I started my Khorne army with a Lord using Bloodfeeder and Wings.
I soon found that my dice love 1's, and rarely, if ever, my Lord made back his points before taking out himself (or at least helping whatever he was fighting).

Soon after, I began using Kharn the Betrayer. The points are about the same, but he is MUCH more effective. I roll him up in a Rhino (with a unit of Berzekers), and then send them in different directions.

However, the Lord with Bloodfeeder does have one nice thing about it. And that is that he's fun as hell to play. You don't know if you're going to rip out 16 attacks, or punch yourself right in the face. Same with our Dreadnoughts. Which is why, when playing friendly games, I like to take them.

#21 ·
In the games I have used him I have learned a very valuable lesson.

BACK HIM UP! time and time again out of laziness and thinking it could pay off, I've sent him in only to be surrounded by so many troops he gets totally turned to scrap.

I think it is worth the risk, but in maybe... 6 games I've used it I've had it roll 1's 3 times, so its sort of very 50/50, without the extra dice, he doesn't do all that much.

#23 ·
My Original Plan, Precisely!

Terminator rmour is not an option, as no Jump Pack can be taken, and the whole point of him is to get him into Combat as soon as possible.

The Fluff of him, is that he is an ex- Chplain of the Dark angels, who many years ago, discovered the temptations of Khorne.

Thank You to everyone for their replies, and opinions!

#30 ·
Anybody who says the Blood Feeder is worth it, tell it to a gaming friend of mine who has had his Lord fall twice to me by a roll of one..the only 2 times it's ever made it to combat:D

Peace:happy:

#33 ·
I use a Khorne Lord with Wings and a pair of Lightning Claws. The LCs help with his poor Strength.

I also use a Winged Lord with no Mark, with a Daemonic Weapon. He does extremely well, and I have been lucky enough to have not yet rolled a 1 for him.

I use the same pattern on a Bike too, and he also does very well. The additional Strength makes a huge difference.

As for Khorne with Daemon Weapons, it's a no no for me, far too risky. To many points for a guy who's likely to kill himself.

#35 ·
Like I mentioned before, Kharn is the opposite of a Khorne Lord w/ Bloodfeeder.

Kharn should be placed in combat on his own. You can have a unit of Berzerkers, Terminators, or Raptors (or really, anything good at HTH) nearby, but don't have them in the same combat. I've had Kharn take out a Hive Tyrant, his two Guards, three Warriors, and a dozen or so Gaunts in one game (long game...), just be letting him run into whatever he sees and swinging his axe.

On the other end, the Bloodfeeder Lord needs support. He doesn't have the statline Kharn does, and since he can only hurt himself, it's "safe" to run him in a group of Raptors or Berzerkers. When I started Chaos, I made the mistake of using Kharn tactics with a Bloodfeeder Lord. Needless to say, he didn't have quite the same punch.

#37 · (Edited)
In the very last game I had with him, a squad of 8 stormboys dropped on top of him, had their way with him and left him with a single wound.

He gathered up the last of his strength and stabbed himself in the face and promptly died.

If he had lasted a single round of combat there could of been a devastating effect for those damn stormboys but unluckily he wasn't in the mood to dominate.

EDIT:

take two of them, a potential 30 attacks between just two models, and more survivability with two at least, expensive but will survive much longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.