What Should I Put in a Land Raider? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Should I Put in a Land Raider?

I'm trying to decide whether to put 5 Khorne "assault" terminators or 10 Khorne Berserkers into a Land Raider.

Four of the terminators will use dual lightning claws, and their champion will have a chain fist and reaper autocannon.

The 'zerkers will have a skull champion with melta bombs and power weapon.

In both cases the land raider will have daemonic possession.

The terminators are 25 points more than the 'zerkers, so I'm basically trying to decide between more attacks with less stopping power or more stopping power with less attacks.

And by "stopping power", I mean attacks that ignore armor saves.

Any opinions?

Last edited by Lachlarlan; June 19th, 2008 at 18:14. Reason: grammar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

It would kinda depend, but after thinking it over for awhile, I would take the 10 Berzerkers.
    They have better WS, are Fearless and having more bodies is always a good thing.
    ------------------------------------
    Innovation suffuses this hobby like a tea bag in the boiling water of play.

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

I too suggest the berserkers, unless you are going to charge something that could eat through regular power armor and you could use that invul save.

Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!! aeroplane's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    569 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlarlan View Post
    Four of the terminators will use dual lightning claws, and their champion will have a chain fist and reaper autocannon.

Berserkers are nice, and would work very well, but I love the idea of the Khornate close combat terminators -- very cool!

Mark of Khorne, dual lightning claws, lots of attacks that ignore armor, and because they are terminators, have great staying power. This is all good.

The problem is the Champion... the way you have him built he makes no sense to be in the squad... let me explain;

This is a bunch of 10,000 year old, blood crazed, homicidal, evil, warriors who love to get into an enemies lines in the Land Raider, jump out, and crush their foe's heads and get lots of blood and gore all over their armor. That's cool! So why does the champ have a gun that has enough range to shoot halfway across the board? Secondly, if the champion has the Chainfist, his extra attack is kinda nerfed because it attacks last...

The Reaper has great range and strength, and good AP. However, a Heavy Flamer has the same AP, doesn't miss, and is less expensive than the reaper. So much cheaper that you can could pay for 2 sets of lightning claws or upgrade 2 more guys into Champions...

Chainfist or not - good question... I wouldn't, because this squad isn't anti-tank, it's anti infantry, and even MEQs will fall in waves in combat with these guys. Tank hunting with this squad is silly - because the rest of the guys will be standing around watching the chainfist champ cut holes in the tank. There are much better ways to hunt tanks.

One other consideration - this is an incredibly expensive unit - 445pts is as cheap as I can see, and much more if one wanted to buy more upgrades. All those points should be as efficient as possible, and tooling the termies for close-combat makes sense.

My insanely large Chaos Marine Army - look

Thier commander's motto-listen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Berzerkers with a Personal Icon to help Deep Strike the Terminators right next to them.
    "When Blood Speaks, Shadows Answer."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

2 Land Raiders with a unit of Zerkers in each and 2 Champs with P-Fists and Personal Icons.
    2 units of 4 with Lightning Claw terminator champs with Icon of Khorne.
    Rhinos with khornate CSM squads.
    Thats fun.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hehe, the zerkers would be cool. but its always a funny event went termies pop outta LR, the faces...anyway, either way yer gonna have fun
    "The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?"
    -Il Duce

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

10 fully kitted Zerkers can be quite scary too. Especially when they got 3 plasma pistols aimed at you.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x1)

I have tried both here and I would always go Zerkers. Firstly, They are my favourite thing fluff wise in thegame. Secondly, people fear them and thirdly, you get double the amount!

Whichever you choose, do not make the mistake (like I did) of just going assault straight away (although this can also be used when needed). You need to ensure they are supported for up to at least two turns by other things (raptors/dps etc). LRs with nasties in are usually much more powerful psychologically than actually the effect they have in the game. By saving them until later (say turn 3 or something) you can sometimes absolutely crush an enemy's plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

I would say the Bezerkers. Maybe with an icon for the Teminators to deep strike on to. Mainly because the more attacks you have the more you will hit with and the more wounds you will cause. Would work better against less well armoured targets ideally. And if your playing SMs/anything with a decent save (better than 4+) use the terminators.

Also I agree with aeroplane. The Lord could be tooled up with a pair of Lightning Claws for even more attacks and leave the tank-hunting to some other unit.
    Last edited by Memnoch; June 21st, 2008 at 14:50.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast