Competative Land Raiders - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

Competative Land Raiders

Will Land Raiders become competative options in 5th edition?
    Will they be used as transports or as firebases?
    Will it be viable to transport our awesome termies in them?

"The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x1)

Possibly.. The chance for only blowing (with a few exceptions) with penetrating may mean they are even more reliable... There are only a few guns now which could take it out with one shot.

I have seen the new book but forgot to check if dedicated transports can now be used as taxis for other units (i heard they can but not 100%). If this is the case, I may consider taking them more as I wouldn't lose a precious heavy slot for a big rhino.

Despite all this, they are still a points sink that can be avoided in an army where points are very hard to find...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

I don't think much will change, they may become more of a ram/assault vehicle, depending on how the rule is implemented exactly, but I'm not sure of it.

I don't consider any termies awesome termies are awful!

With Oden On Our Side... The Doctor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Wayne View Post
    Will Land Raiders become competative options in 5th edition?
    My guess is that with their added survivability, you'll see a few more popping up in armies. I might even get a second!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Wayne
    Will they be used as transports or as firebases?
    That will depend on the army. Usually mine is used as a fire base, since I feel rather comfortable leaving it sitting out where it can get Line of Sight on whatever it needs. Occasionally it will transport my Terminators around, but only if I'm facing a large swarm army without many big guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Wayne
    Will it be viable to transport our awesome termies in them?
    I don't know the new rules for how many weapons things can fire on the move now, but if the rumor of Defensive Weapons being S4 is true, we will lose the Heavy Bolter shots from the Land Raider. Then you really do have a crazy-expensive Rhino. However, you may see people rushing the Land Raider up max distance the first two turns, unloading it's cargo, and turning back in to a tank. Only then you'll have to watch for Melta weapons.
    Half Gods are worshiped with Wine and Flowers. Real Gods are worshiped in Blood.

Blood for the Blood God! Beer for the Bronze Keg!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x3)

In the shop copy of 5th I saw in my local GW, it confirmed that Defensive Weapons are S4. No comment................

Anyway, I have always loved Raiders, and see them as viable for 5th. Mine will be usual carrying my Berzerkers (or Possessed in some Apocalypse games), and I definately view it as transport first, big gun platform second.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in 5th ed, if u buy a raider or rhino etc as a dedicated transport once the dedicated unit has been delivered it is free to move other units through out the game subject to normal restrictions as to transport capacity, model size etc...

i personally use raiders as transports 1st, then as gun platform 2nd. prefer using razorbacks to rhinos for same reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x6)

I have to say that in 5th I think the LR will be our best AT platform. Give it DP and plunk it down somewhere with good lanes of fire. The twin linking of all of the weapons means that you will not lose too much effectiveness and with DP and AV 14 it is practically unkillable.
    IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT!

I survived LO Chat thanks to: Karmoon, Rabbit, Process, Tossy and Meish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x7)

There's not many saying that the Land Raider could, or should, be used as a fire platform. It's a big gamble. The trick with using it that way must be to controll it's fire lanes. It will be crucial to work towards pitting it against one piece of armourat the time. I'm confident that it can survive a shootout against anything, but will perish under the pressure of several enemies. Lances will be it's bane. Support the Land raider with a predators fire capabilities, or with havocs+rhinos to add some fire and ability to block firing lanes with vehicles.

I will use the Land raider as a super tough rhino. That's my game. But having it as a fire base can be viable. Just don't combine the two.
    "The more choices you force the opponent to make, the better the chance for you to capitalize on his mistakes"

Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!! aeroplane's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    569 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by omgitsduane View Post
    I don't consider any termies awesome termies are awful!
    May I ask why? Have you had bad experiences with them? - not make back points, a whole squad getting wiped out, not deep striking at the right time/place?

Just curious.
    My insanely large Chaos Marine Army - look

Thier commander's motto-listen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've found terminators very worth it, though the fewer heavy weapons and unjustly expensive Reaper Autocannon is a little annoying.

+ Reply to Thread