Night Lords Or Alpha Legion? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, the time has come for me to start a new army, and I want to try CSM. The problem I'm having is which Legion?

I've narrowed it down to two: Night Lords and Alpha Legion. Which do people think and why?

The reasons I love Night Lords (aside from the name&#33 include the models (I know this is contentious ) and the fluff, and the whole terror-fiend-rapid-attack thing.

On the other hand I love Alpha Legion for the cultists and the fact that the entire army can infiltrate - a huge tactical advantage! The fluff is great as well.

I'm looking in the short term to build up a 1000 point army for the next Grand Tournament - so any suggestions about army composition would be greatly appreciated.

I get the feeling that Night Lords would do really well in larger games but due to the cost of Raptors would do poorly in 1000 point games. On the other hand Alpha Legion lacks the speed I love.

Basically my style of play is one where my armies are troop-heavy (don&#39;t really like any of the CSM elites anyway <Oblitoraters - ich&#33;> and everything costs so much&#33 but I am also a bit of speed freak. I like having a balance of shooting and close combat. And I have no compunction with destroying my entire army just to win the objective of the game

To put it in context the other armies I&#39;ve played are Tyranids and Dark Eldar - both have lots of numbers and both are fast, and I&#39;d like some way of semi-replicating this with CSM.

So which is it to be?

Ellipse

ps How do people <specifically> make cultists? (not just &#39;I use Catachans&#39

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your scared about points cost for the raptors, i can suggest a cheap way around it, since you obviously need your speed:

-Put your CSMurfs in Rhinos, and that will give them the speed.

Or

-Dont get Raptors, or Bikes, but get Gargoyles. Twice as cheap, better S, and they have more Attacks. The only problem is their low (inv) saves, and their not so brilliant Ld.

If you are looking for speed, why even bother with looking at Alpha Legion?

PS: If I see another one of these: Which Legion/Army/Chapter should I choose, im going to scream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol - sorry if I&#39;m repeating other peoples&#39; posts&#33;

I guess the reasons I didn&#39;t consider Rhinos is because they can&#39;t infiltrate and go against my vision of a stealth-based army.

In terms of Alpha Legion and speed I guess I should rephrase: it&#39;s not just speed but manoeuverability. Infiltrating large numbers of troops means that I could potentially deny the enemy access to areas of the battlefield, could force them into certain routes of attack, etc.

Thanks for your comments,

Ellipse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alpha legion&#33;

make an all infiltrating army, with loads and loads of cultists. Also it is rumored that infiltrate will be much more effective in 4th ed. but look at it this way, if you summon furies off a squad of cultists, they WILL be in close combat the turn they come in.
    iron Hands
    Haemonculus Coven Dark Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked the idea of an all infiltrating army, but when playtesting night lords, I liked having a squad of chosen, w/ 2 heavy bolters, with infiltrate, that worked pretty well and didn&#39;t think the whole army needed to infiltrate. But it&#39;s up to you.

Mad Props to Angel_of_Rust for the sig.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

The only problem i have with alpha legion is the fact that whenever you play a mission that doesnt allow infiltrate the whole premise of your army is thrown in the trash.

Yeah you still get cheap chaos cultists but personally i would take a CSMurf over 2 cultists any day.

I would reccomend going with the night lords because you can always give a couple of the squads infiltrate if you need/want to. I dont really think having an ENTIRE army infiltrate is the best thing anyways.

just my humble opinions though.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Following a bit more thought and discussion with a couple of players, here are examples of the sort of army I&#39;d be likely to field - any comments would be appreciated, along with which one people think would do better.

Ellipse

Night Lords

Lieutenant (Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon, Daemonic Flight, Daemonic Visage, Infiltrate, Stealth Adept)

7 CSM (CCW+BP, 2x Plasma Pistols, Aspiring Champion: Power Weapon, Infiltrate, Stealth Adept)

7 CSM (CCW+BP, 2x Plasma Pistols, Aspiring Champion: Power Weapon, Infiltrate, Stealth Adept)

5 Raptors (3x Plasma Pistols, Aspiring Chamption: Power Weapon, Infiltrate, Stealth Adept)

5 Havocs (2x Heavy Bolters, 2x Missile Launchers, Infiltrate, Stealth Adept, Tankbuster)

Alpha Legion

Lieutenant (2 Lightning Claws, Infiltrate, Daemonic Resistance, Daemon Fire)

8 CSM (Plasma Gun, Heavy Bolter, Aspiring Champion: Power Weapon, Infiltrate)

10 Cultists (Assassin)

10 Cultists (Assassin)

6 Havocs (3x Heavy Bolter, 1x Missile Launcher, Infiltrate)

6 Havocs (3x Heavy Bolter, 1x Missile Launcher, Infiltrate)

Both armies are 1000 points.

Ellipse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, honestly, you don&#39;t need stealth adept on all of your squads, or any of them for that reason, maybe on havocs, but that&#39;s it. Plus Havocs don&#39;t need infiltrate, nor the normal marines, give them a rhino or two, a much better deal. Plus, raptors are good in their own right, they really don&#39;t need infiltrate or stealth adept, they are costly enough.

Mad Props to Angel_of_Rust for the sig.

Closed Thread