235pts 2 Dreadnoughts Or A Land Raider? (help) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What Should I Spend My Remaining 235pts On? (Read Main Post First)

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2 Close Combat Dreadnoughts!

19 52.78%
  • Land Raider with Extra Armour!

17 47.22%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

235pts 2 Dreadnoughts Or A Land Raider? (help)

I’m currently creating an undead army most of you would have saw one of the squads in a recent post, if not ‘Click Here’. Heres the army list so far:

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Proiteus View Post
    160 - Deamon Prince Sharazad: Wings, Doombolt and Mark of Nurgle or Tzeentch.
    (Basic Prince Tactics use cover to hide him from heavy weapons and close in for the kill and likely draw fire away from the rhinos as for the mark it depends on how my poll goes)

TROOPS
    262 - Darkmaker Korell: Champion with Power Weapon and Meltabombs, 9 Undead (Death Guard) Marines, 2 Melta Guns, 7 with Boltguns all with close combat weapon, bolt pistol, Krak and Frag Grenades, Fearless and Feel No Pain!
    50 - Korell’s Rhino: Extra Armour and Smoke Launchers.

272 - Darkmaker Sindri: Champion with Power Weapon and Meltabombs, 9 Undead (Death Guard) Marines, 2 Plasma Guns, 7 with Boltguns all with close combat weapon, bolt pistol, Krak and Frag Grenades, Fearless and Feel No Pain!
    50 - Sindri’s Rhino: Extra Armour and Smoke Launchers.
    (These guys drive forward and get into the besting terrain for shooting and before people ask: I choose Power Weapons over Powerfists for 1. the models I’ve converted look better and 2. they not a combat heavy unit).

254 - Darkmaker Tru’kai: Champion Sorcerer with Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol and Doombolt, 8 Lost Spirits (Thousand Sons) all with Mark Of Tzeentch, Inferno Bolts, Sorcerer Commands, Slow and Purposeful and Fearless!
    (This unit’s role is to support the two Death Guard units while advancing and being careful not to get shot up.)

FAST ATTACK
    300 - Darkmaker Zaceria: 9 Raptors with Icon of Nurgle, 1 Meltagun and 1 Champion with Powerfist.
    (Act as the Deamon Prince’s personal guard especially with the new sweeping rules and aid the other units if necessary)

HEAVY SUPPORT
    148 – Predator: Autocannon, 2 Lascannon Sponsons, Extra Armor and Smoke Launcher.
    (Your standard anti tank support role)

Total: 1500
    No: 38 (3)

ELITES (For 2000pt Games)
    255 – Darkmaker Rokhan: Champion with Powerfist, 4 Terminators 3 with Power Claws and 1 with Power Fist and Heavy Flamer.
    10 - Personal Icons for both Rhino mounted Squads.
    (This unit deep strikes where it is needed using the personal icons or advances in the Land Raider. I will also use it from time to time as a substitute for the thousand sons unit)

239pts to spend?
    Altogether it will be 2000pts of which I have 239pts left to spend; now I have two choices both which have some delicious conversion possibilities but like most GW stuff I can’t afford them both so i need to pick one.

1st Option Dreadnought Tag Team 235pts
    Simple idea which I believe could be quite effective with the new vehicle, running and close combat rules: 2 Chaos Dreadnoughts equipped with 2 combat weapons each running across the field together ‘fire frenzy’ isn’t much of a threat due to them standing side by side most of the time and using cover they can avoid most Anti-Armour weaponry before they hit enemy lines with 10 strength 10 dread attacks…Nasty!

2nd Option Land Raider 235
    Because the Predator is my only unit in the army with long ranged Anti-Tank weapons it has made me consider getting a Land Raider, therefore I will have the option that it can act as either a heavy firebase or a safer way of getting my Terminators to enemy lines.

Help me choose guys; I need to complete this army by the 9th of August!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!! aeroplane's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    569 (x7)

As much as the Dreads sound really cool, I have to go with the Land Raider just because of the durable tenacity of AV14.

My insanely large Chaos Marine Army - look

Thier commander's motto-listen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

both the land raider and dreads draw fire away from your rhinos which is good, but since you could only use the raider as a battle tank, completely ignoring his transportation qualities, i'd go for dreads. they leave you with 2 pieces of armor and add some close combat to the list. if i was you, i'd include 3 oblits instead for the points. you could easily make undead style models for them, too and they would give you some reliable anti-tank and anit-horde.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Dreadnoughts sound pretty cool, could also do some awesome conversions with them if you're up for it. Might be cool to give one a huge, two-handed scythe that counts as 2 CCWs.

My vote goes for the dreads.

For one - it's just a cool idea, unique, and I'm sure it'll pay off big-time if you pull it off (otherwise, you might end up with 2 dead dreadnoughts early on). With the running rules and new vehicle damage chart, they're suddenly a much better option. It's probably the riskier of the two, but I think it has potential to cause lots of damage. More than the land raider, I think, if they get into combat.

On top of that, the dreads present 2 targets for anti-tank weapons, which will give it decent survivability.

As for the land raider, if it's just going to sit there and shoot, I think a tri-las predator would be a better choice. Your list, obviously, lacks anti-tank and I don't think the land raider is the best choice for this. I think, from what I see, the best option for your list would be adding some combi-meltas to those terminators and a second melta on the raptors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

Dreads would be my choice.

since Walkers can run and put out some serious pain the opponent will have to deal with the two of them first thing giving your otherunits a good 2 turns of relative safety from the heavy guns.
    and 2 pieces of armor beats 1..

failing that, bump your list up a bit and do both options.

Landraiders never really appealed to me, too many eggs in one basket for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately for me I just can't justify playing with Dreadnaughts. They have a chance of never really doing anything in a game, or potentially hurting you if you mess up placement or movement and get a bad roll. Now if this isn't for a tourney or anything real serious then go for the Dreadnaughts. They pack a mean punch, and people panic when they see them bad boys coming. Now, if this is for something tourney seriousness wise, then I would go for the LR. AV 14 is really tuff to deal with, and it has TL Lascannons. It should blow something up, and can transport a group and they can assault out of it. It's great in 5th Edition.

100th post. Let the Blood Reign!!!
    "When Blood Speaks, Shadows Answer."

zim
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm going with 2 CC dreads. chance of them getting into comabt is good (really good if your enemy is an assault army) and if their in combat with sqauds with only S5 or lower, they can't hurt you (just hope it's not 30 grots and your stuck in combat the whole game xD). if they get to them, they can be anti-tank at worst haveing to roll 6+ to hit, but that'll really only be CC against skimmers... people seem to always like to move them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AV 14 is the best!In 5th edition it's a real pain to bring it down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd go with the LR, it will make your Terminators better and also good AT power. Trying to squeze in demonic posession would be good.
    JitM

Disciple of Khorne
    "Blessed is the mind too small for doubt"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The dreads will die before doing their points worth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast