Havoc Config? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Havoc Config?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Havoc Config?

Greetings fellow chaos players!

I am looking to reconfigure my havoc squad. In 3rd I used four blastmasters, however this is not an option. I had retired my 40k chaos marines, but I have decided to dust them off, but I need to purchase some replacement havocs.

My two main choices are either autocannons [I have always liked them since 2nd ed] and missile launchers. Both are flexible but it seems to me that launchers are probably better at anti tank and anti infantry, for the same points in any unit that can have both.

I have ruled out lascannons and heavy bolters for havocs. Lascannons tend to be mounted on armour and heavy bolters tend to go with my troops choices.

Any thoughts? Advice is very welcome!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go for the missile launchers.. four frag templates can really put a dent in whatever not encased in power armour..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

Since the most recent codex I have yet to see any choas marine with an autocannon, before they were awesome cause you could have tank hunters but with having been hit a few times by the nerf bat in the veteran skill department this is not an option any more.

So missle launchers all the way IMO for havocs as lascannons are way to expensive for them.
    - You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats my thoughts too, although I am loathe to get rid of my favorite heavy weapon. I will still have one on my predator I guess.

I had thought 8 strength 7 shots across the table would be pretty decent, but in reality ap 4 doesnt stand up. Maybe if they were ap 3 we might see more of them.

Would two of each work? That way I have reasonable anti tank and shooting infantry? Mostly I will be facing ork and tau tanks, not armour 14 monstrosities, as the local marine player only fields dreads. Armour 12 or so should be the highest I am against more often than not.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

2 AC and 2 ML could work and against armies sucha s eldar the auto cannon is preferable for shooting at skimmers.

Vehicle squadrons such as sentinels, vipers, eldar walkers, ork kans are also more vulnerable to autocannon.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far the most common armour I am against is armour 11 and 12. I know there are heavier tanks out their in peoples collections, namely a monolith, but so far in order of popularity the following I have fought.

Ork transports., usually 2+ in number Armour 11.
    Marine dreds, usually 2-4 in number when used. armour 12
    Tau hammerheads, not sure exactly on armour 12 or 13 I think?

Deth Dreds/Cans I have seen being assembled. I mostly play orks at the moment though.

Im thinking autocannons should be very viable vs orks? Even their looted tanks are fairly low armour As they can shoot up their infantry too at a push, although perhaps not as many kills as with a frag missile.

Lascannons are definatly out, they are simply not efficient enough at shooting infantry if needs be and they are far more expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x2)

With the armies you are facing I would suggest 2 MLs and 2 ACs. The ACs will lend weight of fire and are very useful against weak armour and hordes. Though consider with a scatter on a frag missile there is still a chance you may hit and kill something where as with an autocannon if you miss-you miss.

Ive been debating on having one squad with all lascannons but its just too expensive and risky now in 5th edition. More than likely Ill go with 4 MLs- its more versatile than the lascannon and cheaper. Never been a big fan of autocannons personally-though the thought of 4 autocannnons in the same squad is kind of tempting depending on opponents.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

You will never get a definitive answer to autocannon vs missile launchers. I recommend proxying for a while, discovering what works for you and going with that in the face of all opposition.

Myself, I preferred the missile launcher for its instantkilling and armor penetration until 5th edition came out. Now I use autocannons to brute-force my way through all those cover saves.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

I have 2 sqauds, one anti infantry, one anti tank, the anti infantry has two autocannons, and 2 heavy botlers. The other squad has two missle launchers and 2 lascannons. I love those things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be tactically flexible my havocs would probably nead launchers or autocannons. I am very tempted to take two of each, but I am not sure what the actual effectiveness of this build would be.

I think 4 of a single heavy weapon would probably be best from a maximum efficiency perspective. With all the cover in 5th I am tempted to use autocannons simply because they have more shots at a higher strength.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast