Anti-Necron tactics? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anti-Necron tactics?

What tactics do you all use against Necrons?
    Their high armorpiercing seems highly intimidating to me, so to speak.
    And their ability to wither the Storm is also quite impressive.
    How effective are regular CSM's, Berserkers and Raptors against Necrons?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Thousand Sons squads are your best friend here. Those AP3 bolters make short work of any Necron, denying WBB (unless there is a Resurrection Orb on a nearby Lord). It's also worth taking things like Extra Armor, since Necrons will be inflicting glancing hits on vehicles a lot more often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravendove View Post
    Thousand Sons squads are your best friend here. Those AP3 bolters make short work of any Necron, denying WBB (unless there is a Resurrection Orb on a nearby Lord).
    Nope, WBB is negated only if they were shot by a double Str weapon, that is, a weapon who inflicts instant death.Only in close combat the "no armor saves" negate the WBB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well i don't have more than a Predator at the moment and i'm not eager yet to get more vehicles for now. So their excellence at dealing with heavy ordenance shouldn't be too big a problem. My brother has no Monolith (yet) either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Terminators. Mass-charging. Vindicators. Obliterators (plasma cannons).

Necrons are actually not very effective against other heavy and super-heavy infantry armies they can't punch through armorsaves very well. Don't get your vehicles too close though. If you use any vehicles bring piles of them otherwise they'll be gaussed into uselessness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okies thanks.
    I already ordered some more Termies anyway.
    And i was thinking of adding some more Oblits in a month or so again anyway. (my shop orders only once every so often for WH40K)
    I'll add in a squad of 8 Berserkers too. That should add some punch to my infantry heavy Black Legion force.
    I've also been toying with the idea of trying out a squad of 10 or so Lesser Daemons to summon when nearly making contact with the enemy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All you need to do with your vehicles is keep them out of range of the Warriors which shouldnt be too hard and blast away at them with your guns. Charging is always a good thing against them except watch for scarabs as we use those to slow you down .
    Every time a Necron gets back up an Ultramarine dies.
    :)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

I have tried a shooting and a close combat list and neither worked that well, I couldn't believe the CC one failed, that hurt the most but I have a 1-2 win/lose vs necrons, so I'm not the best to ask, but assaulting is only a good idea if you can engage all the squads at once I believe, once you win and your guys are out in the open, you WILL perish.

With the cc list I ran it was something like 3 squads of 20 chaos marines, with ccw/pistol and MOK and when they reached close combat they dealt the pain, but because he took squads of 20 warriors and had like 3/4 of them, once I won combat, they were rapid-fired about 60 times...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Icon of nurgle terminators, and khorne berzerkers for the win. What happens there is that the terminators will charge and utterly destroy the necrons and they will hardly be able to hurt you back due to the high toughness. Khorne berzerkers now have furious and a higher weapon skill and this helps so much and against necrons it will kill. Give the champ a power weapon not a power fist, give him that fist and your wasting his high initiative on the charge. When you charge with that nice big squad not only will you get a ridiculous amount of attacks but you will also be hitting and wounding quite easily and you will watch the necrons shrivel up and die. Trust me on this one I have seen it happen many a time.
    40,000- 7,000 Points Chaos Space Marines=18 and 17
    40,000- 2,500 Points Tau Empire=1 and 2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x3)

The key to fighting Necrons is always their Phase Out value; i.e. how many Necrons do you need to kill, so that they will Phase out. Usually this means, killing all his warriors as soon as possible.

Power Weapons negate the 'Well Be Back' rule of all Necrons, as do S8/9 weapons against T4 Necrons. Note though that the presence of a Necron Lord with a Resurrection Orb negates this rule, and still allows 'Well Be Back'. His T4 units can WBB from Plasma weapons, but not from Meltas. However Plasmas are still very useful as Necrons have plenty of T5 3+ units. Meltas are better though.

Second, as pretty much all their weapons damage vehicles, don't take vehicles.

His Monoliths will seem an onbious target. They are useful and dangerous, but don't be tempted. Kill anything that counts as a 'Necron', as quickly as possible.

Now that Summoned Greater Daemons can Run, they could be useful in trashing his squads, as are Powerfists.

Raptors (2 MG and a PF) could be very useful in hunting down his Destroyers and Heavy Destroyers. Watch out for Necron Lords with Warsycthes as they are very dangerous indeed. Luckily many Necron players don't take the optional 4+ invulnerable for thier Lords!

Lash could be useful to trap his units and bring him closer to your close combat units. Obliterators and Lascannon Havocs could be useful too.

Lord Ramon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast