Anti-Vehicle Trouble - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Anti-Vehicle Trouble

So im making up a 1500pt daemon hunter list and am having deficulting finding cheap efficient anti-vehicle power. Other armies I just add in more bright lances or Lascannons, but what about the daemons? What do we do against vehicles, anything from rhinos to Monoliths.

I run a list with 2 full units of bloodletters, 2 full units of daemonettes, and 2 units of 5 plaguebearers with icons. I just need tips for dealing with vehicles, prefferibly not nurgle methods (not a fan of the Nerg)

Any tips would be great and good advice will be rewarded...

2500pts Emperors Children
    1000pts Dark Eldar Cabal of Agony Eternal
    3000pts Tyranids

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Tzeentchy stuff or MCs are usually your best bet against vehicles. The LoC and DP are expensive, but they provide accurate firepower and are tough to bring down. Horrors can take the Bolt to help against light to medium armor. Screamers destroy anything short of a Monolith, but are expensive and fragile.

Alternatively, Fiends are awesome against most vehicles with lower rear armors. 5 rending S4 or S5 attacks will hurt most vehicles.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Three good units for anti tank are

1. HQ: Herald of tzeentch with bolt, chariot, Master of sorcery and legion for 110 points
    2. Heavy: Daemon Prince with MoT and Bolt for 140 points.
    3. Fast: Unit of 3 screemers for 48 points.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

What upgrades would work well for a LoC or Daemon prince with an anti-vehicle scheme?

Mad Cat already mentioned the Daemon prince with MoT and Bolt.
    2500pts Emperors Children
    1000pts Dark Eldar Cabal of Agony Eternal
    3000pts Tyranids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Any Monstrous creature has a good chance of wrecking vehicles in an assault, so you have a pretty safe bet with any of the Daemon Princes. Even against skimmers MCs have a decent chance of bringing them down.

Some good upgrades:

-Mark of Nurgle: Extra Toughness helps their survivability.
    -Ironhide: Armor saves are always good.
    -Breath of Chaos: Has a chance of getting the job done, plus you can assault afterwards.
    -Wings: Really expensive and not always worth it (especially considering that you Deep Strike in anyways), but this may help to catch a fast vehicle every now and again.
    -Mark of Tzeentch w/ Bolt: One of the highest Ballistic Skills for Bolt of Change that you can get. Plus, you get a decent invulnerable save and you can take Daemonic Gaze for some more shooting power.
    Currently Playing:
    Fantasy: Daemons (Angels), 40k: Black Templars

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

I'm warming up to screamers as an option.

There are two types of vehicle you need to worry about, transports (APCs like trukks, rhino's, chimera's, etc), and assault vehicles (Leman Russ, Preditors, etc)

The way you handle assault vehicles is with MCs. Your big guys will get the job done.

The APCs are harder because even if you blow the vehicle up, the squad inside is still alive and kicking to shoot you next turn. These are best taken about by BoT or Soul Grinders in the shooting phase. Option 2 is to have some screamers assault them to blow them up. Either way, it's going to be a two step process, and you need to look for ways to minimize your casualties in the process.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing God View Post
    What upgrades would work well for a LoC or Daemon prince with an anti-vehicle scheme?

Mad Cat already mentioned the Daemon prince with MoT and Bolt.
    The Lord of change is a pricy way of getting anti tank power in your army. Bolt at BS5 is good but you only get one shot. Upgrading him with "we are legion" is also recomended but then he nears 300 points.

You can get 3xHoT with Bolt, chariot, sorcery & Legion for a few more points. Two of the daemon princes with MoT and Bolt would also cost 280 points and have more wounds than a LoC, be better in combat and get twice the shooting. You could give MoT princes extra strength but 2D6+5 is pritty good against the rear armour of vehicles and their cost soon starts to rise.

I prefer to keep units cheap in a daemon list as you have to bear in mind that only half your guys turn up at one time and you can't afford to loose large chunks of points when your units get shot. 3 cheap princes are always better than two that have extra strength and wings for example.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

The Love Muffin [Black] Katalyst's Avatar
    I'm startin' the chainsaw and runnin' down the line!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x5)

I never leave home without my Bloodthirster. It's so versitile, from taking out swathes of troops, cutting down terminators and popping tanks.

I also love Screamers. Jet bikes with melta bombs? Mmmmmm they have enough speed to get where they need to go and melta bombs, well, they're melta bombs.

6x Screamers is only 96 points. If you destroy any vehicle that isn't a transport you have a very good chance of them making their points back.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Dear god.... that is a bit scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Not only does he have a mighty beard, but he also mentioned nakidity in his post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

I been rallying for the screamers since before 5th came out with the thought of how important they will be with the survivability of tanks/vehicles in 5th. I think a unit of 3-5 is well worth their points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another great utility for a small group of screamers is to use them as 'thirster bait. A single 'thirster floating around is hard, but not impossible, to string along for quite some time. Seperate your tanks, he can't get to them all, or might get shot down trying. However if you send your screamers the opposite way, you cut the number of escape routes the enemy has. As for the squad's size, you might as well keep them small They have the speed to get there at least somewhat unharmed, and the short-lived utility to not need to come back again. Don't think of them as jetbikes with meltabombs, they're really more like melta torpedos! Usually whatever they chomp out of a transport is likely to just blast/assault them down the next turn anyway.

Now don't get me started on how joyous it is to see a Command squad in a razorback, or pathfinder squad in a devilfish near your bloodthirster. Just tear it open with your bloodthirster's Death Strike (aka plasma pistol without get's hot) and gorge yourself on it's fleshy, nougaty insides. Sure, it's pricey and not incredibly reliable, but you're gonna assault that transport anyway, you might as well roll the dice and see if you can double that thirster's utility for the round.
    Last edited by The Defenestrator; September 12th, 2008 at 08:56. Reason: durr, I ain't doin english so good (edited for clarity)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast