Daemons and WYSIWYG - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daemons and WYSIWYG

I'm trying to get my daemons into 'ard boys shape and am not sure on how to make some upgrades WYSIWYG. I do not intend for the list that I will be entering to be my permanent daemon list, so I would like to avoid major permanent changes to models if possible. Since my opponent will have a copy of my list and most of the upgrade bits are non existent, it doest seem like too big of a deal to cheese out on the actual modeling.

They owner of the shop here who is running the tournament said that he would consider painting rings on the bases for special weapons in a squad acceptable (as long as each color represents a consistent upgrade throughout the army). e.g. the Bolt of Tzeentch horror in the horror squads could have the outer slope of his base painted blue as his bolt

Is this officially allowed or just his opinion? If so it would take care of most of the special weapons guys and icons. Otherwise I was planning to stick a colored glass stone to the bases of special guys. This still leaves models lacking.

I plan to have two daemon princes each with MON, Touch, Gaze, Hide, and Flies. This will be using my chaos marine style unmarked prince models. The easiest way to do this IMO is to print out a little card with the list and just put it on his base or spear it on his sword. Once again I'm unsure if this would fulfill the requirements. Otherwise I'll be assembling him a little pile of junk to put on him/his base to represent each thing. e.g. a green glass stone as mark of Nurgle, a fake fly from a joke store as the cloud of flies, etc. Some of these I still have no idea for (hide, gaze). The same issue applies to the Soul Grinder's phlegm upgrade.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Love Muffin [Black] Katalyst's Avatar
    I'm startin' the chainsaw and runnin' down the line!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x5)

The Bolt of Tzeentch is a magical shooting attack so you can't show it on the model without modeling the bolt itself. Painting the base rim is a good idea.

The Soulgrinder on the other hand doesn't need anything. Everything shoots from its mouth. Then again, you'd have to model the actual phlegm if you wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Dear god.... that is a bit scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Not only does he have a mighty beard, but he also mentioned nakidity in his post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

Think big thing is just to make sure the one upgraded with things can be distinquished from ones without. Even some sort of rune or marking on models I think could do this. I think for demon princes a color scheme appropriate for the god they are marked is enough to show they are marked. The best bet is to make sure your opponent knows which model has what and if you have many of the same model with different upgrades
    IE: Demon princes make sure they know which one has which. To represent alot of the upgrades the base model easily has things to show it has the upgrade whether you use the upgrade or not. I think if GW doesnt make a way to represent it you can represent it any way you choose as long as their is no question what it is. You can't have the green glass stone represent one thing on one guy and another on someone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only real issue I have for WYSIWYG is when a specific model has a particular upgrade among a large group of like models (say, the bolt of tzeentch in pink horrors). In this instance, I found it sufficient that I modelled 1 pink horror with as many of the flame-holding hands as I could, and painted them all as purple/blue fires. The rest have normal looking red/orange/yellow fire. This is rather clear (they all throw arcane energy of some kind, whereas the bolt is different and therefore looks so) without requiring drastic customization.

Something like daemon princes i don't worry about unless you bring multiples, and they're geared differently. I wouldn't worry about modelling an actual cloud of flies, but if only one of your multiples has it, it needs to be clear which (so the upgrade can't mysteriously jump models to where it's needed ). if they're both equipped the same and your opponent has your army list, their appearance vis a vis WYSIWYG doesn't particularly matter, imho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for horrors what I am going to do when I finally paint mine Im going to give the model with BoT a silver flame to signify the Bolt, though outlining the basses sounds like it would work
    KHORNE, when life gives you lemons - Blood for the Blood GOD!!!

+ Reply to Thread